Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Old May 2, 2019, 5:01 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by thektwins
Sorry, similar question. I am GS, and fly BE once a month, and pretty much always get an E+ seat which shows up in my app about 2 days before (and even then I get an occasional "how'd you end up back here?" joke from the FAs.). I am flying BE with my daughter next month, who has no status. Will they courtesy assign us both E+ seats if available, or will they assign her to the back even though she's on the same booking? Also, will she be allowed a full sized carry on?
They will probably courtesy assign in E+, but not guaranteed. You will most likely be next to one another, though.

Given the companion is in the same PNR, they inherit your boarding zone and thus a full sized carry on will be allowed (as that is enforced by boarding zone).
Old May 2, 2019, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
I just flew BE as a 1K with the wife who's gold for the first time to central america this week.

Worked out pretty well, was able to check in online a day before, auto-assigned seats next to each other in row 15 in front of the emergency exit, was able to carry on maximum amounts without any issues, and got BG1 and my pre-boarding benefits w/ no issues.

The only real downsides as a 1K are ticket changes, mileage accruals, and seat assignments. For tickets that were nearly half the price as the regular economy, it was definitely worth it. If the delta was more like $30-40 per ticket, I wouldn't be doing it again.
Old May 2, 2019, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by brp1264
The only real downsides as a 1K are ticket changes, mileage accruals, and seat assignments.
Those aren't small downsides!
Old May 2, 2019, 10:14 pm

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by FightingIlliniUAL
No seat assignments
I think this was the most baffling aspect of BE tickets, no matter what status you hold (perhaps they make an exception for GS?) & it took me a while to understand / accept it (maybe not) - so for the convenience of other members ..

No seat assignments when you purchase BE, in some cases BE tickets are $30 cheaper than regular Economy & seat selection may cost $10-$20 so the choice is up to you (e.g. EWR-LAX)
Old May 3, 2019, 6:14 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kaffir76
I think this was the most baffling aspect of BE tickets, no matter what status you hold (perhaps they make an exception for GS?) & it took me a while to understand / accept it (maybe not) - so for the convenience of other members ..

No seat assignments when you purchase BE, in some cases BE tickets are $30 cheaper than regular Economy & seat selection may cost $10-$20 so the choice is up to you (e.g. EWR-LAX)
I don't think it's baffling at all -- on two fronts:

1- United is trying to disincentiveize everyone and especially their own frequent travelers from choosing this fare type. Simply: They want people buying more expensive fares.

2- The pretextual reason for these fares existing in the first place is to compete with carriers that don't offer seat assignments as part of the core product offering.

Including seat assignments would counter much of the disincentive from #1 and cannibalize own-fare sales since for many people the lack of seat assignment may be the single largest disincentive on the fare band (especially for UA FQTVs because they have the loophole around a full-size carryon at no extra charge) -- For my own travel patterns the no changes/no cancel is significant but my travel is far more fluid than I expect even the average business traveler let alone leisure traveler.
Old May 3, 2019, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by kaffir76
I think this was the most baffling aspect of BE tickets...No seat assignments
I just figured the two things that sucked the most about the regular economy experience were (1) being forced to check a bag because the overhead is full and (2) getting stuck in a middle seat. By having no carry-on (for non-status) and no seat assignments they free up bin space and aisle/window seats for the regular Y crowd.
Old May 3, 2019, 8:49 am

Inconsistent implementation of United Basic Economy

Recently completed BOS-LAX on United BE.

My mistake was that I applied AC number expecting AQM/AQS. After realizing United BE does not count to AC AQM/AQS but could count for UA mile as describing in the receipt as below, I tried to change number to UA's but that was locked. So I asked at the check-in counter in BOS to change. Then she said " I can change it but no mileage accumulation because it is BE". That time I was not sure so leave as it was (AC *G). By the way, seat assignment was somehow E+ but middle uncomfortable seat.

After confirming the term as described below, again I asked at LAX premier check-in counter but surprisingly exactly same response stating BE does not count mile and not towards status. I don't care about mileage accumulation but my UA account is about to expire so I needed any transaction. So I still asked her to change the number and she changed it to UA's number.... she confirmed --- should have

After several days, I have not received mileage count so requested credit via website..... Then, I got message as
Denied.
Credit for this flight segment/ticket has already been posted to a different MileagePlus account. Please review your ticket number.

Although I should have done my homework in advance, why did both ground staff mislead based on wrong information and procedure

"MileagePlus members earn award miles but no Premier qualifying credit or lifetime miles."
Originally Posted by prister
" If you're a MileagePlus member, you will still earn award miles based on the fare and your MileagePlus status"

Problem is that UA failed to implement the consistent rule to relevant staffs Even the link they included in the mail does not work...
Old May 3, 2019, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by narvik
Those aren't small downsides!
For my flights the delta in ticket price was ~$200 for a 3 hour flight, and to me that was worth the downsides.

If the delta was closer to $30-40, I'd say I agree the downsides aren't worth it.
Old May 3, 2019, 11:52 am

For my flights the delta in ticket price was ~$200 for a 3 hour flight, and to me that was worth the downsides.

If the delta was closer to $30-40, I'd say I agree the downsides aren't worth it.
In other words, United's BE strategy is working:

(1) When they are fare matching ULCC or just trying to sell a bunch of seats cheap (while still making corporate clients pay the normal price), they set a large delta and people snap them up.

(2) When they are trying to bait-and-switch the kayakers, they set the delta small and most people buy up.
Old May 5, 2019, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I just flew BE as a 1K with the wife who's gold for the first time to central america this week.

Worked out pretty well, was able to check in online a day before, auto-assigned seats next to each other in row 15 in front of the emergency exit, was able to carry on maximum amounts without any issues, and got BG1 and my pre-boarding benefits w/ no issues.

The only real downsides as a 1K are ticket changes, mileage accruals, and seat assignments. For tickets that were nearly half the price as the regular economy, it was definitely worth it. If the delta was more like $30-40 per ticket, I wouldn't be doing it again.
Originally Posted by thektwins
Sorry, similar question. I am GS, and fly BE once a month, and pretty much always get an E+ seat which shows up in my app about 2 days before (and even then I get an occasional "how'd you end up back here?" joke from the FAs.). I am flying BE with my daughter next month, who has no status. Will they courtesy assign us both E+ seats if available, or will they assign her to the back even though she's on the same booking? Also, will she be allowed a full sized carry on?
What does your lifetime miles show? The actual flown miles or the 1/2 the flown miles? Thanks!
Old May 6, 2019, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by CApreppie
What does your lifetime miles show? The actual flown miles or the 1/2 the flown miles? Thanks!
Hrm - not sure how to track what my lifetime mile accruals were for each segment. I was awarded 1/2 PQM for the flight though, so if PQM applies 1:1 to lifetime, then that would be it.
Old May 6, 2019, 6:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Hrm - not sure how to track what my lifetime mile accruals were for each segment. I was awarded 1/2 PQM for the flight though, so if PQM applies 1:1 to lifetime, then that would be it.
PQM does not track BIS Lifetime miles. UA states BE earns 100% LT miles, as do all paid fares
How are "lifetime miles" calculated for MileagePlus?
Old May 7, 2019, 5:55 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
All assigned BE seats in E+, including 18A on E145

I flied BE fare for the first time as 1K. All assigned seats are in E+ cabins. For the two short segments, I got a window seat on CRJ700, and 18A on E145. Artificial intelligence works for the latter because I select 18A 80-90% of my hops on this aircraft type. For the two long flights, the seats are not very desirable (the row before the exit row). The one on the middle (12B on B752) was changed at gate (I waited patiently for the agent getting ready and asked nicely). I moved to an aisle seat on row 20 (still not desirable, but the only E+ Aisle seat remaining). The seat on B737 of the remaining flights is an aisle. There was no better seats left.
Cheers!
Old May 7, 2019, 6:05 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
BE on midrange (1000+ mile) on 737-800 was seat 12A two separate times. Beginning of regular economy.

Last edited by RooseveltL; May 7, 2019 at 9:39 am
Old May 7, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA1K Marriott Gold Hertz PC
My first time booking BE. Quick 2 day trip DEN-AUS coming up where the rt price diff was $175 per ticket ($97 for BE vs $272 for Economy), so $350 "saved" for Mrs. roguetrader and me.

I haven't been paying close attention, but is this large of a price differential commonplace these days?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.