Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
It's not a stringent box-check for everyone - if it looks like a personal item and not a carry-on you should be fine.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:52 am

Didn't see this before. Even when one books a r/t in BE OLCI works only segment by segment. My son-in-law has a same day r/t to LAX. He could check in for the morning flight out but the return flight did not yet pop up.
Presumably that one needs to be done separately 24 hrs before departure.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
Had a couple of interesting experiences flying on a BE ticket last weekend that may be of interest. One is that my companion and I had pre-assigned seats in E+ when I checked the reservation about 72 hours before departure. Not sure if that was some sort of unpublished *G benefit or if they had operational reasons for pre-assigning those seats, but it was much appreciated especially as I was about to pay for E- seat assignments. I also noticed that I seemed to lose all BE notations and restrictions after using the travel waiver related to the snowstorm at ORD. I'm not surprised that my booking code changed and access to benefits changed accordingly (including the opportunity to SDC in the app back to my original itinerary if for some reason I wanted to be stranded overnight), but it was nonetheless good to confirm that all traces of BE vanished after rebooking and I received 100% mileage credit in TK M&S.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 9, 2019 at 5:21 pm Reason: archive thread
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Footnote (added to Wiki, mods pls adjust format if desired, thanks!):

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:07 am

Programs: UA 1K3M, Marriott(SPG) Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Footnote (added to Wiki, mods pls adjust format if desired, thanks!):

so lifetime miles is 100%?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfsouthbay
so lifetime miles is 100%?
It looks like. I will be travelling on a BE Westcoast run and be glad to report back.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Premier Platinum and Basic Economy: No Carry On

I am Premier Platinum and traveling on a domestic flight. I called UA to see if I could bring on a roller board case knowing that I could check it for free. The agent read a statement to me that I could not bring a carry on roller board for Basic Economy. I said I thought that a Premier Platinum could. She put me on hold and came back and read to me the same thing and said no I could not bring a roller board onboard.

I HUCA and the agent said yes I could, and was annoyed that the agent did not know that or where to look for the rules.

It is bothersome that this long into Basic Economy sales the "Premier" Agents do not know the rules, or where to look for them, or how to understand them. If I had not presumed that I could do it, I would have not tried to take it onboard.

In another business environment this person would have to be taken off and retrained.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TonyBurr
If I had not presumed that I could do it, I would have not tried to take it onboard.
The carry-on prohibition only applies to Group 5. Premier members will not be in Group 5. You were correct.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Basic Economy and Star Alliance Gold (Air Canada/Aeroplan)

I want to go between LAS and SFO in the last week of August/first week of Sept.
This would be a return itinerary.

I am Star Alliance Gold through AC/Aeroplan.

Questions:

a) why can I not find the basic economy fares on the UA web site, but I can do so through google flights (which would then re-direct me to the UA web site with the basic economy fare).
b) what privileges do I have on this fare as a Star Alliance Gold member"

i) namely - checked bags allowance, hand baggage allowance, accrual of mileage through my airline frequent flyer plan, lounge access (I know that UA upper tier members do not automatically get United lounge access, but I believe (but I remain to be corrected) that foreign Star Alliance Gold members usually get lounge access, even for US domestic UA flights).
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I believe UA is not offering BE fare on United.ca, try.com instead.
​​For other questions you will find answers here
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...onomy-faq.aspx

Last edited by gokeeper; Mar 2, 2019 at 12:06 pm
Old Mar 2, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
a) why can I not find the basic economy fares on the UA web site, but I can do so through google flights (which would then re-direct me to the UA web site with the basic economy fare)
This basically happens if you set the site preferences to anything besides USA in my opinion. Going through Google Flights would be an easy workaround.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 4:00 pm

You'll enjoy most star gold benefits including Star Gold priority boarding and check-in and extra luggage allowance. In addition, you are permitted to bring a carry on even on the basic economy fare. The only benefit you wont enjoy is seat selection - a seat will be assigned to you at checkin or at the gate.

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
I want to go between LAS and SFO in the last week of August/first week of Sept.
This would be a return itinerary.

I am Star Alliance Gold through AC/Aeroplan.

Questions:

a) why can I not find the basic economy fares on the UA web site, but I can do so through google flights (which would then re-direct me to the UA web site with the basic economy fare).
b) what privileges do I have on this fare as a Star Alliance Gold member"

i) namely - checked bags allowance, hand baggage allowance, accrual of mileage through my airline frequent flyer plan, lounge access (I know that UA upper tier members do not automatically get United lounge access, but I believe (but I remain to be corrected) that foreign Star Alliance Gold members usually get lounge access, even for US domestic UA flights).
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:25 am

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, OA Gold (in memoriam), Hertz #1 Gold
Star alliance gold on basic economy fare

As A3*G what do I get when flying economy basic on united? Do i get baggage and seat selection? It's a LGA-CLE flight
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DrHalxx
As A3*G what do I get when flying economy basic on united? Do i get baggage and seat selection? It's a LGA-CLE flight
Baggage, yes, including a full-size carry on; seat selection, no.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.