Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Note: As of today, it appears that BE purchases will earn 100% PQD and 50% PQM. This is in conjunction with the re-branding of TATL "Light" fares as "Basic Economy," but it seems to apply to domestic BE also. "Basic Economy" now appears as a category in the PQM earnings table, and if you look at search results for a BE fare, you'll now see non-zero values for PQM and PQD.

TATL Basic Economy does not have an impact on boarding group and does not come with a carry-on restriction. Domestic Basic Economy still has both.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:54 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Moderator Edit - please use this thread to discuss issues pertaining to general UA Basic Economy issue / questions.

For specific issues / questions related to the TATL market (transatlantic), please see: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...-100-pqds.html
Old Dec 11, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by jsloan
Note: As of today, it appears that BE purchases will earn 100% PQD and 50% PQM. This is in conjunction with the re-branding of TATL "Light" fares as "Basic Economy," but it seems to apply to domestic BE also. "Basic Economy" now appears as a category in the PQM earnings table, and if you look at search results for a BE fare, you'll now see non-zero values for PQM and PQD.

TATL Basic Economy does not have an impact on boarding group and does not come with a carry-on restriction. Domestic Basic Economy still has both.
The next logical question is whether or not Domestic BE fliers now earn lifetime miles as well.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: *A Gold, Marriott Titanium
Clarification on PQS & Basic Economy

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere. Search revealed nothing I could use to answer this question definitively.

I’m 56 segments into my year with UA and currently Premier Gold. By way of some mistakes from admin assistance, I have 6 segments between now and the end of the year that were booked as Basic Economy.

It is my understanding from a lot of information posted that tickets booked as Basic Economy do not earn PQS. However, when I look at the reservation and accrual information for the flights on the UA app, I see an accrual of 2.5 PQS.

Is this an accurate forecast of the PQS value as it applies to re-qualifying for Premier Gold, or is this an error?

I’m trying to sort this out with certainty so I can plan a final flight or, if necessary, a segment run.

If it matters, I also am a UA MP credit card customer.

Last edited by bdegroodt; Dec 12, 2018 at 9:22 am Reason: Error on ticket type
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Footnote in Premier Qualifications page: "Effective for travel on or after December 11, 2018: All Basic Economy tickets will earn 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments. Basic Economy tickets may be booked in various fare classes."

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...r/qualify.html
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: *A Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Footnote in Premier Qualifications page: "Effective for travel on or after December 11, 2018: All Basic Economy tickets will earn 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments. Basic Economy tickets may be booked in various fare classes."

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...r/qualify.html
That explains it. Thank you!
Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:23 am

United Basic Economy Bag & CC

I recently purchased a BE ticket with my Mileage Plus Explorer CC. It is my understanding that carry on bags are free and a checked bag is free when purchased with a CC.

On the United website it states that when checking in with a BE ticket that if you are not checking a bag you have to check in with an agent and not online.

Is that correct even if the ticket was purchased with the MileagePlus CC?

I can gladly say I am checking a bag and then not check one to get a boarding pass, but that doesnt make all that much sense.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pauldavid77
Is that correct even if the ticket was purchased with the MileagePlus CC?
No. You'll be able to check in online like normal.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 8:59 am

Question United Explorer Card benefit after previous BE purchase?

Bought a BE domestic ticket a couple of months ago but only now have a United Explorer card. Might I be able to obtain any benefits of the card when I check in from home or via the kiosk?
Old Dec 15, 2018, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by worldwidetraveler
Bought a BE domestic ticket a couple of months ago but only now have a United Explorer card. Might I be able to obtain any benefits of the card when I check in from home or via the kiosk?
Yes, you'll get Group 2 boarding and a carry-on, plus a checked bag if you paid with the card.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Yes, you'll get Group 2 boarding and a carry-on, plus a checked bag if you paid with the card.
did not have the explorer card when ticket was purchased. Will I get now Group 2 boarding and a carry on if I present the card on check in?
Old Dec 15, 2018, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

did not have the explorer card when ticket was purchased. Will I get now Group 2 boarding and a carry on if I present the card on check in?
You shouldn't need to present it on check in. You should get those benefits automatically once the Explorer Card is registered on your account. You'll see a note on your MileagePlus account page that says "Expiration waived" along with a question mark; if you click on the question mark, it'll tell you that your miles won't expire as long as you're a cardmember. That's the signal that UA has made the connection between your card and your account, and the benefits will kick in automatically. (Everything except the free first checked bag, which does require using the card to buy the ticket).
Old Dec 15, 2018, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

orher reports in the card threads indicate that purchasing an ancillary with your Explorer Card will get you the checked bag benefit. For example, those purchasing E+ with the card, even if the ticket was purchased with a non-UA card, get the checked bag benefit.

While I haven’t seen any reports specific to BE, And you can’t buy E+ with a BE fare, I’d be surprised if purchasing a seat assignment with the card didn’t flag the reservation for a free checked bag. YMMV, of course.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, National EE
GG code for full size carry-on exception

Is there a GG code one can reference for the exceptions to full-size carry-on restrictions for Premiers and CC holders?

Upon check-in at CAE this morning (contractor station, UX only), the agent charged a coworker (primary Explorer cardholder) for a carry-on fitting the 22x14x10 sizer, despite showing the agent the BE T&C on the website and the baggage info of the reservation on the App. Agent called UA and then stated "even for 1Ks and elites we'd have to charge if it doesn't fit under the seat as a personal item".

Would be nice to have a GG that an agent could reference to clear up any confusion.

Last edited by Scuba2P; Dec 18, 2018 at 7:58 am
Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Scuba2P
Is there a GG code one can reference for the exceptions to full-size carry-on restrictions for Premiers and CC holders?

Upon check-in at CAE this morning (contractor station, UX only), the agent charged a coworker (primary Explorer cardholder) for a carry-on fitting the 22x14x10 sizer, despite showing the agent the BE T&C on the website and the baggage info of the reservation on the App. Agent called UA and then stated "even for 1Ks and elites we'd have to charge if it doesn't fit under the seat as a personal item".

Would be nice to have a GG that an agent could reference to clear up any confusion.
I love it when UA messes things like this up, since they tend to be pretty good about providing compensation and fixing the problem.

Was your coworker in boarding group 5?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.