Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2018, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by threeoh
What is NK at?
The fare is pulled so I can't confirm. But you're right, I think it's NK causing the super low BE fare.

For the following week I checked all three:
NK has $63.19
DL has $88 BE and $118 coach fare (as the post above me mentioned the $30 price differential)
UA has a $94 coach fare and is not offering BE on this day. This one books to "L".

-RM
Old Nov 14, 2018, 6:16 am

Programs: Former 1K turned UA Kettle
Here's a question: I used to be able to exclude basic economy from the Chase UR portal search. Now that they moved their search over to Expedia's platform it no longer seems possible and the only economy options I get are basic economy.

Question: If I book BE thru UR, can I call in to UA within the 24 hour window for cancellation and upfare to a regular economy fare bucket? Can BE be upfared at all?
Old Nov 14, 2018, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UTex09
Question: If I book BE thru UR, can I call in to UA within the 24 hour window for cancellation and upfare to a regular economy fare bucket? Can BE be upfared at all?
Only if you're Global Services. For most passengers, BE flights can be cancelled, but not changed, within the 24-hour window. (At least, those are the most recent reports).
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Basic Economy is only a domestic offering (at the moment).
Is this changing now?

I just booked IAH-GUA in Basic Economy.

I told myself before that I'd never book BE, but couldn't justify $430 for regular economy on a 3 hour flight when BE was only $180.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp1264
Is this changing now?

I just booked IAH-GUA in Basic Economy.

I told myself before that I'd never book BE, but couldn't justify $430 for regular economy on a 3 hour flight when BE was only $180.
Actually, it changed a while back. Select North American itineraries offer Basic Economy.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by brp1264
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Basic Economy is only a domestic offering (at the moment).
Is this changing now?

I just booked IAH-GUA in Basic Economy. ...
In the past couple of months BE has crept into some UA flights to Mexico and Central America.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 7:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, MAR gold
Lesson learned on basic economy that is not disclosed at all by United - you cannot check in online and have to go to a kiosk plus have an agent manually check you in. To me, this almost totally defeats the purpose. I bought tickets for a day trip, knowing that we would have no luggage (or even a carry-on), but had to arrive early at the airport both ways, evidently so that the check-in agent could confirm that we had no carry-ons. The gate agent could have easily done (and did) the same screening and saved us 30 minutes each way. Not worthwhile for me until (or if) this is addressed.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by essexnyc
Lesson learned on basic economy that is not disclosed at all by United - you cannot check in online and have to go to a kiosk plus have an agent manually check you in.
It's literally the only item in the Check-in section of the United Basic Economy FAQ:

Q: How does the check-in process work with Basic Economy tickets?
A:
With Basic Economy, you'll only be able to check in for your flight through united.com or the United app if you indicate that you're checking a bag. To check your bag, you'll go to a check-in counter or designated kiosk in the airport lobby. If you begin check-in and do not indicate that you're checking a bag, you'll need to finish checking in for your flight at the airport.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lesson learned on basic economy that is not disclosed at all by United - you cannot check in online and have to go to a kiosk plus have an agent manually check you in. To me, this almost totally defeats the purpose. I bought tickets for a day trip, knowing that we would have no luggage (or even a carry-on), but had to arrive early at the airport both ways, evidently so that the check-in agent could confirm that we had no carry-ons. The gate agent could have easily done (and did) the same screening and saved us 30 minutes each way. Not worthwhile for me until (or if) this is addressed.
It's been reported you can complete online check-in with Basic Economy tickets by saying you have a bag to check and then just never actually checking one.

edit: actually that is clearly stated in the text mduell quoted.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
UA charges an additional fee in addition to the checked bag fee for BE pax who bring a bag to the gate that needs to be checked (i.e. a full-size carry on). Presumably, the reason they ensure everyone who isn't checking a bag has to go to the check in desk is because for everyone like you, there are probably ten times or more as many who didn't bother to read the rules, then go to the gate with said bag that now costs double the cost to check. UA is protecting itself from a huge PR fiasco that would inevitably result of a media outlet printing this sob story, while leaving out the fact the customer was warned of this cost when booking, and chose to either not bother to read it or who did read it but forgot or purposely ignored it, as they just wanted to pay the lowest fare without regard to the rules of said fare.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 11:15 pm

For most domestic airports, United lets passengers without bags check in at the kiosk up to 30 minutes before the flight, so how early does one really need to be at the airport?
Old Dec 4, 2018, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by freeflyer
For most domestic airports, United lets passengers without bags check in at the kiosk up to 30 minutes before the flight, so how early does one really need to be at the airport?
It depends upon the airport, and how long the line for the kiosks might be.

Also, a BE customer doesn't merely need to use the kiosk; an employee actually has to come over and verify there's no carry-on. It can be quite a wait for an actual employee at some airports.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:35 am

N.B.: You do not need to see a physical agent if you have the MP CC or have status -- you can check in on the app as normal. Only non-status, non-CC pax.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:16 am

Programs: UA, AE
Basic Economy TATL appears to give half PQM.

Last edited by rawilliam; Dec 11, 2018 at 7:18 am Reason: delete pic convervion
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
I wonder if this means UA will be using N for TATL basic Y?
No; TATL BE will use multiple fare classes and will be identified by fares ending in -LGT.

Note: Contrary to what I said yesterday, it does appear that domestic BE will now earn PQD and 50% PQM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.