Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2018, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
And ya gotta love how the market is working - googleflights now provides accurate information about the real "price" of these fares, and consumers choose to buy elsewhere. (If you select, "Overhead bin access included," UA and AA will drop below DL, AS, and B6 in the search results, because their BE fares will be excluded.)
Indeed - gotta love the market vs. these morons that make decisions in their silo. While I liked DL's implementation of BE as a non-elite, now that I have status I find myself checking seat maps more curiously to see if its worth paying for Main Cabin based off my chance for a decent upgrade (and no, C+ is not an upgrade in my book) or just stay in Basic. Being Houston based I spend more time on 2-2 Delta Connection flights than anything else so Basic really doesn't deprive me of much. I can buy DL drink chits for much less money than the fare delta between Basic and Main and chance the upgrade.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by Duke787
No PQMs, Boarding Group 5 (unless you have status or CC), seats not together if multiperson itinerary, no upgrade, no E+.

Wonder what will happen if only E+ seats remain.

I hate that Basic Economy exists but on the face of it, it seems to be exactly what you'd expect, no better, no worse
Here is the kicker. I signed up for the UA Exllorer card free for the first year,2 Club Passes $100 credit after first purchase,40000 bonus miles as well as free checked bag and Group 2 Boarding. Then its $95 a year. So lets say 100 Basic Economy Passengers saved $50-$100 on a flight and they take 6 flights a year. The $95 pays for itself with the 2 UA passess and free bags plus priority boarding.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by dilanesp
A heck of a lot of chicanery would disappear if fare comparison tools would do that more often.
It blows my mind that nobody has launched a price comparison tool with a full personal profile.

Let me save that I have status on X airline and the credit card for Y airline, and that I care about W amenity but am indifferent about Z. And then show me the results.

Why do I have to manually filter every time?
Old Jul 27, 2018, 11:15 am

Just as evidence that UA does occasionally use BE to compete with ULCC or fill empty planes, and not just as a sticker-price gimmick, today I bought a BE fare ORD-SFO

AA and WN non-stop were all $282. Connecting on DL was $132 or $282. Most UA flights were $282, one flight (which was at an ok time for me) was $111 Basic, $282 Regular. Snapped it up and paid $10 for a window seat. Otherwise probably would have connected on DL or flown WN (MDW is closer for me). UA offered a $161 discount and got a sale from a price-sensitive customer, presumably without cannibalizing any business traveler revenue.

Old Jul 27, 2018, 2:31 pm

United Basic Economy ticket using Explorer Card Benifit

Hello
I Just booked Domestic Basic Economy ticket for Me (Primary Chase explorer card holder) and Family. What kind of benefit i get from Baggage? Do i get to check in free Baggage? Or Do i get to take carry on Free?

Thanks in Advance
Old Jul 27, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
You get the normal checked bag waiver. The card benefit does not extend to carry on - you're still subject to the BE limitation of one small item. I'm assuming you have no United status. If you are any level of Premier, the BE carry-on limit is waived.

American's just announced a change to their BE carry-on policy effective Sept 5th. Remains to seen if UA will match AA's (and Delta's) more generous policy. I don't think UA can stick with their policy for much longer: https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ons/840313002/

Edit: my bad - as cardholder, you get boarding group 2, which circumvents the BE BG5 limit.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jul 27, 2018 at 4:18 pm
Old Jul 27, 2018, 4:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by awesome75
Hello
I Just booked Domestic Basic Economy ticket for Me (Primary Chase explorer card holder) and Family. What kind of benefit i get from Baggage? Do i get to check in free Baggage? Or Do i get to take carry on Free?

Thanks in Advance
You will get your free check bags and the full size carry on (theoretically companions are not eligible but believe they will not be prevented).
You will also be boarding group 2.

Full-sized carry-on bags are not permitted
You're not allowed a full-sized carry-on bag unless you're a MileagePlus Premier member or companion traveling on the same reservation, the primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card or a Star Alliance™ Gold member.
You will still earning awardmiles but no elite miles, And you will no be able to select your seating.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 4:35 pm

Interesting observation in terms of paid seat assignments on BE:

Flying on an old non-slimline 753 tomorrow and when I paid the $10 for a window seat, I was only offered window seats that did not include anything in or near exit rows that are still marked as economy seats. Namely: 33 A/F and 22 B/C/D/E were all blocked off from my selection even though they were open when I tried to move into them.

I guess IT probably marks specific seats that BE passengers are not allowed to select even if they pay?
Old Jul 27, 2018, 4:57 pm

Hello

Thanks in Advance
Just so you don't get tripped up, to get the free checked bag you have to have purchased the ticket with the Explorer card. If you purchase with another card you don't get this.

To get the Boarding Group 2 (and full-size carry-on), it doesn't matter what card you used, as long as you are a cardholder.

I can confirm that in practice your companions on the same reservation get BG2 and can bring a full-size carry-on plus personal item.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 9:28 am

With Basic Economy Ticket and Family with Minor traveling? Do United assigned seats of all family member together?
Old Jul 28, 2018, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With Basic Economy Ticket and Family with Minor traveling? Do United assigned seats of all family member together?
No.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
You're virtually guaranteed (unless you happen to have a very lightly loaded aircraft and get lucky) to have no members of your party seated together. This is especially true since BE seats are only assigned at check-in, and by that point it's not uncommon (at least on my flights...) for only middle seats randomly scattered throughout the aircraft to be available.

It's one of the warnings United gives you before you buy a Basic Economy ticket -- paraphrasing: "if sitting next to other people in your party is important, this is not the right choice for you".
Old Jul 29, 2018, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
American's just announced a change to their BE carry-on policy effective Sept 5th. Remains to seen if UA will match AA's (and Delta's) more generous policy. I don't think UA can stick with their policy for much longer: https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ons/840313002/
Saw this as well. UA will match hopefully. They all like to follow each other off various cliffs.

Other than no lifetime BIS miles for BE, this was the major negative.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by CApreppie
Other than no lifetime BIS miles for BE, this was the major negative.
Uh, no. Everyone else is paying more. And, depending on the flight (e.g t.p.s./p.t.s.), they'll get fed in E+ and the benefits that a MP elite would get.

David
Old Jul 29, 2018, 6:34 pm

Nope! E+ does NOT get meals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.