Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2018, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by IamHungry
I bought a BE ticket and have not yet checked in (My flight is leaving less than 24 hours). I looked at the seat map and all economy seats were all greyed out. Does it mean I might get to sit in Economy plus at the time of check in at the airport?
Possibly. It could also mean that they've already assigned you a seat in E minus. You might be able to tell by pulling up your booking and seeing if there is a seat assignment there.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Kensterfly
Possibly. It could also mean that they've already assigned you a seat in E minus. You might be able to tell by pulling up your booking and seeing if there is a seat assignment there.
No seat assignment so far. Neither Online nor united app.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 10:36 am

No seat assignment so far. Neither Online nor united app.
Then I would say you have a good chance at getting an E+ seat. If you're really lucky, there may be a few aisle or window seats left.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
I bought a BE ticket and have not yet checked in (My flight is leaving less than 24 hours). I looked at the seat map and all economy seats were all greyed out. Does it mean I might get to sit in Economy plus at the time of check in at the airport?
Probably. Sad to say that Group 5 folks have consistently gotten the leftover E+ seats on my flights.

David
Old Jul 3, 2018, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
Probably. Sad to say that Group 5 folks have consistently gotten the leftover E+ seats on my flights.

David
Well I hold united credit card so I am Group 2 :-)
Old Jul 3, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver

David
Where else would you propose putting them if E- is full? UA seems to have an algorithm to assign elites E+ on BE tickets, so those folks would already have been taken care of leaving the remaining BE pax to get whatever is left...
Old Jul 3, 2018, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
Where else would you propose putting them if E- is full? UA seems to have an algorithm to assign elites E+ on BE tickets, so those folks would already have been taken care of leaving the remaining BE pax to get whatever is left...
Moreover, if you think that they are getting such good treatment, non-BE pax can enter the E+ lottery too - just don't select a seat.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by findark
Moreover, if you think that they are getting such good treatment, non-BE pax can enter the E+ lottery too - just don't select a seat.
A lottery I would not want to play most of time. Wouldn't you prefer an aisle/window E seat rather than a middle E+?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
I’ve made suggestions several times upthread on how this could be accomplished...with technology these days - it could be done mostly without a lot of human work. Beyond that, there are other options - for example, I’d there are only E+ seats left, hold BE assignments until the gate, and offer those seats to more valuable passengers - those on higher fares, with *A status, etc., and then fill BE pax in those seats that go empty. If the problem is so common - perhaps it’s time to re-evaluate E+ policy in general - maybe give them free to silver at booking or X days prior to departure vs. at check in, or at 50% discount in advance, or give them to *G in advance, or to non-elites booking Y/B/M fares, etc.

I’ll admit to being no expert in revenue management, and I get just filling the empty E+ seats with BE is the easiest thing to do, but I can’t imagine why the company wouldn’t want to do more to solve this problem. If one buys BE and gets E+, especially relatively often, it seems like greater incentive for these folks to buy BE again (while ignoring the offer to pay for an assignment in advance), when they really presumably want to sell more higher fares instead. And I can’t think of a better reason for a non-elite, particularly those buying W, V, Q, E, etc, to think that maybe it’s actually better value to just buy BE next time, especially if they are going to be checking a bag anyway.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:34 pm

As I understand it BE on domestic flights does not inlcude any carry on, however on international flights BE does include a regular sized carry on. However, how does it work on a BE fare with a domestic segment? Dont want any trouble with my carry on on the domestic segment coming of a international flight.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by emcampbe
I’ll admit to being no expert in revenue management, and I get just filling the empty E+ seats with BE is the easiest thing to do, but I can’t imagine why the company wouldn’t want to do more to solve this problem. If one buys BE and gets E+, especially relatively often, it seems like greater incentive for these folks to buy BE again (while ignoring the offer to pay for an assignment in advance), when they really presumably want to sell more higher fares instead. And I can’t think of a better reason for a non-elite, particularly those buying W, V, Q, E, etc, to think that maybe it’s actually better value to just buy BE next time, especially if they are going to be checking a bag anyway.
This. On 16 different domestic UA flights both long and short over the past two weeks, Group 5 has been both sizeable as well as entitled - which is good for them and bad for how UA supposedly was managing E+. On top of this, given how late Group 5 is boarding, GAs are ignoring carryons - I've noticed a good percentage with "their 1 personal item" as large as a standard rollaboard - or even bigger. It is clear that GAs don't care and FAs are just trying to get Group 5 seated so the plane can push.

So what's the downsides of BE?

David
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:24 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by emcampbe

I’ve made suggestions several times upthread on how this could be accomplished...with technology these days - it could be done mostly without a lot of human work. Beyond that, there are other options - for example, I’d there are only E+ seats left, hold BE assignments until the gate, and offer those seats to more valuable passengers - those on higher fares, with *A status, etc., and then fill BE pax in those seats that go empty. If the problem is so common - perhaps it’s time to re-evaluate E+ policy in general - maybe give them free to silver at booking or X days prior to departure vs. at check in, or at 50% discount in advance, or give them to *G in advance, or to non-elites booking Y/B/M fares, etc.

Totally agree, and I believe UA is actually doing this, to the extent I posted previously and I've seen it happen as recently as last month.

Appears to be high fare classes with pax that have no status when there is an E- oversell situation. I doubt there are many datapoints of this type of behavior on FT since those pax are definitely in the minority.

I would echo your suggestion about *G, and perhaps even systematically offering *G's free E+ at T-12 to further avail E- would do the trick of putting the right people in the right seats.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by B747forever
As I understand it BE on domestic flights does not inlcude any carry on, however on international flights BE does include a regular sized carry on. However, how does it work on a BE fare with a domestic segment? Dont want any trouble with my carry on on the domestic segment coming of a international flight.
There are currently no Basic Economy fares filed for "true" international markets that I am aware of. The "Economy Light" fares are not Basic Economy and do permit a carry-on. You cannot combine Basic Economy with non Basic Economy fare components, in order to avoid this issue.

So what's the downsides of BE?
No status accrual and absolutely no guarantee that you will have that kind of an experience.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
There are currently no Basic Economy fares filed for "true" international markets that I am aware of. The "Economy Light" fares are not Basic Economy and do permit a carry-on. You cannot combine Basic Economy with non Basic Economy fare components, in order to avoid this issue.
The first US-Mexico BE fares showed up a few weeks ago.

I would not expect someone in Group 5 on those flights to be able to bring a carry-on.

I agree that the TATL Light fares are not BE. I expect full BE to be rolled out on those routes once it can be accommodated across the JV.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:51 pm

Thanks for the replies. The itinerary I am looking at is ARN-EWR-LAX. So it is not a true BE then, even on the domestic leg.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.