Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by jiburi
Has United expand Basic Economy To International Market? Delta announced $60 1st baggage fee for Basic Economy Transatlantic.
Like Air Canada did with "Tango" fares, I expect the first "international" flights you'll see it applied will be Canada <==> USA.

Again, like with AC, "true" international will follow after that.

It's too bad, as a Canadian business traveller it means my loyalty to UA will be forced to come to an end.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 10:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
TBE was meant to be a fare increase -- plain and simple. And they actually have pulled it back substantially from the original offering, both in terms of routes and in terms of fare classes where it's available.
Classic reaction to a failed fare increase. Roll it back. Usually the airline raising fares figures it out before they take a material hit to revenue. UA did not.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gglave
Like Air Canada did with "Tango" fares, I expect the first "international" flights you'll see it applied will be Canada <==> USA.

Again, like with AC, "true" international will follow after that.

It's too bad, as a Canadian business traveller it means my loyalty to UA will be forced to come to an end.
just curious - which carrier are you moving to? AC (with Tango)? DL or AA (both with BE in the market? Porter (only if you fly YTZ-limited regional destinations, and also follow a similar low fare model option like Tango? Just curious.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe

just curious - which carrier are you moving to? AC (with Tango)? DL or AA (both with BE in the market? Porter (only if you fly YTZ-limited regional destinations, and also follow a similar low fare model option like Tango? Just curious.
I fly out of YVR, mostly to the USA - Couple of trips per year overseas, usually TATL on UA via ORD.

Once it's BE on UA out of Canada, going forward, I'll just fly whatever's cheapest / most convenient - So if I'm flying to DFW I'll just fly AA instead of routing through IAH or DEN. If I'm flying to MSP I'll just fly DL as opposed to backhauling on UA from ORD. NYC I'll fly AC's nonstop to EWR. Europe, whatever nonstop from YVR works.

If every airline's base fare has no incentive for me to pick them over a competitor I'll just go with whatever works.

It's a pity - I'll miss UA, but I'm "only" a 65K flyer so I guess they're not interested in hanging on to me.

(Same thing happened to me with AC - It's why I left AC for UA.)
Old Dec 13, 2017, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gglave
I fly out of YVR, mostly to the USA - Couple of trips per year overseas, usually TATL on UA via ORD.

Once it's BE on UA out of Canada, going forward, I'll just fly whatever's cheapest / most convenient - So if I'm flying to DFW I'll just fly AA instead of routing through IAH or DEN. If I'm flying to MSP I'll just fly DL as opposed to backhauling on UA from ORD. NYC I'll fly AC's nonstop to EWR. Europe, whatever nonstop from YVR works.

If every airline's base fare has no incentive for me to pick them over a competitor I'll just go with whatever works.

It's a pity - I'll miss UA, but I'm "only" a 65K flyer so I guess they're not interested in hanging on to me.

(Same thing happened to me with AC - It's why I left AC for UA.)
Not sure why you would take it so personally. Honestly, if you're a 65K a year flyer, then you can have your choice of paying the fare that makes sense to get you benefits, or choosing a hodgepoge of carriers based on each destination/going on BE-type fares and not getting those benefits. It's not they are throwing you out, which is what you make it sound like. The game has certainly changed, its up to you how you remain in it (or if you do).

I realize this is probably playing into their hands (in this case, UA, but could easily be DL or AA....or even AC to an extent), but I'm not going to be buying BE (at least most of the time). I know that's what they want. But I typically travel in a party of 3, including a toddler, and potentially sitting away from each other just doesn't work (I know most times, I could probably convince a seating shuffle to get this, but just not worth the risk or hassle). Even without that, the fact of having no option to change/cancel (despite the fact it only happens once or twice every few years) isn't something I want to take. Still get boarding priority and carry on bag as an elite...the latter might be more of an issue if I wasn't. Depending on the trip, the lack of miles may or may not be a factor. The point is, its not a fare option I really consider as meeting my needs most of the time....I can see a limited set of circumstances where it might be ok...but given it doesn't really meet my needs, I kind of ignore it (while realizing that it may meet other needs). If it did meet my needs, I'd probably be looking at other LCCs, where I can at least buy the stuff I need (buy access to a seat assignment...buy access to bring a carry on, etc.), but even at that, its not generally a compelling proposition because then you're pretty much paying the same as the UA regular economy fare once all is said and done.

Of course its up to to you, but you can just ignore BE (or equivalent on other carriers) if you don't think it meets your needs. I'd rather pay a bit more to get what I want/need then get what to me is a subpar option.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 7:21 am

Not sure why you would take it so personally.
I apologize - As I posted on those threads when I went through this with AC a number of years ago, I don't take it personally at all. Sorry if it came through that way. Airlines are businesses - They are of course welcome to do what they want. If I had to choose an emotion I think it would be I'm "disappointed" that the era will come to an end. But c'est la vie.

Honestly, if you're a 65K a year flyer, then you can have your choice of paying the fare that makes sense to get you benefits
Those are business-travel miles - Like many on this thread, and many on FT, I am required by my employer to book low-price fares. Unless I want to pay myself I don't have the 'choice.' Today, the price difference between E and BE (mostly) remains small, but if UA takes a page from AC's playbook it will eventually be a difference of hundreds of dollars, which is a no-go.

I know that's what they want. But I typically travel in a party of 3, including a toddler, and potentially sitting away from each other just doesn't work.
Personal travel is almost always on points, but like you, were I take to out my credit card I would not book BE with my family. However, I'm talking about business travel here.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Maybe I have been looking at this the wrong way. My original reaction was anger because UA was taxing me with a higher price in order to receive my elite benefits, i.e. assigned E+ seats, EQM etc. But now I think I should be grateful to UA for putting pricing pressure on WN. The more seats that are offered at LCC and BE fares, the more likely that WN will be forced to reduce its high fares in competing short haul markets. I will then save some coin flying WN as I don't plan to fly BE anyway and never expect free upgrades anymore on UA even as a 1K.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Can someone explain how Basic Econ prices to more than discount F?

I can understand if full Y is more than restricted P/Z fares. But what is the motivating factor to purchase a Basic Economy Fare if the Z fare is less?

Old Dec 20, 2017, 6:37 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Looks like a fat-finger fare to me.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 10:46 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
UA Back To Utter Idiocy With BE Fares

N=M. They weren't supposed to be doing this anymore.

Old Dec 21, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
N=M. They weren't supposed to be doing this anymore.

If this is part of a roundtrip, this is SOP. Selecting BE now will preserve the ability to select BE on the other leg. UA has continued to publish N fares all the way up the fare ladder; however, there’s no longer a price difference between BE and regular economy on many fares. They only exist because BE fares can’t be combined with regular fares, so UA needs a “shadow family” of $0-discount BE fares that will only appear when they’re relevant.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 10:42 am

UA needs a “shadow family” of $0-discount BE fares that will only appear when they’re relevant.
They are backtracking on one of the very few sensible changes they made to their BE fare structure (limiting BE fares to deep discount classes).

They don't seem to realize the negative reaction it sparks when prospective purchasers see a $459 BE fare SFO-SAN.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
They are backtracking on one of the very few sensible changes they made to their BE fare structure (limiting BE fares to deep discount classes).

They don't seem to realize the negative reaction it sparks when prospective purchasers see a $459 BE fare SFO-SAN.
or sell BE RT tax to folks who don't know the difference.

David
Old Dec 21, 2017, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, they’ve put themselves between a rock and a hard place. If they hide those fares, then someone can’t buy BE on the return flight if they want it — or, they can, but only be re-faring their outbound to BE after they’ve already selected regular economy.

If they could make BE combinable with regular economy, these problems would go away. I’m not sure that’s realistic, though.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 11:58 am

Well, they’ve put themselves between a rock and a hard place.
They get zero sympathy here. It's a "problem" entirely of their own creation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.