Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2017, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever actually seen any statement from UA stating that the companions of Mileage Plus Premier members are entitled to bring a free regular carry-on when they're ticketed in Basic Economy?

That seems to be the understanding, but I see that some pax (UA credit cardholdrers) have been hassled about their baggage rights, and I'd like to have a written policy I can point to. Thanks.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iahphx
That seems to be the understanding, but I see that some pax (UA credit cardholdrers) have been hassled about their baggage rights, and I'd like to have a written policy I can point to. Thanks.
It's in the policy:

You're not allowed a full-sized carry-on bag unless you're a MileagePlus Premier member or companion traveling on the same reservation, the primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card or a Star Alliance™ Gold member. Everyone else who brings a full-sized carry-on bag to the gate will be required to check their bag and pay the applicable checked bag fee plus a $25 gate handling charge.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
I have a family member (Silver) who checked in at 1st flight's T-24 but couldn't yet select E+ for the 2nd flight and subsequently forgot about the 2nd flight's T-24 due to time difference. At 2nd flight's T-22, there were no more E+ when there were plenty just a couple of hours prior! The new practice of UA letting non-BE non-Premier select E+ (making blue seats white) caused grief among Silver members!
That doesn't sound right to me. Never had an issue checking in for a flight >24 hours when it was just a connection.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
That doesn't sound right to me. Never had an issue checking in for a flight >24 hours when it was just a connection.
This was domestic to Canada, and we have had plenty of D-to-I and D-to-Guam and could never obtain E+ as Silver until that particular segment's T-24. You can check in for all segments but not obtain E+, yet.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I checked in, First Class was already full, so I wasn't going to be getting any upgrades.
You are not getting upgraded on a BE fare no matter how full FC is.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
When I checked in, First Class was already full, so I wasn't going to be getting any upgrades.
Originally Posted by TomMM
Or empty FC is.

*REMINDER* : BE = no upgrades.

David
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:06 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
That was his point. He was stating all the things he didn't forgo by purchasing BE, including FC seating since it was full anyway.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
It's in the policy:
And in the basic economy faq page it's even more explicit about the credit cards:
Q: Which qualifying MileagePlus credit cards allow the cardmember to bring a full-sized carry-on bag on board?
A: If you are a primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card at the time of check-in and you provided your MileagePlus number when purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you and travel companions on the same reservation will maintain your boarding priority and be allowed to bring a full-sized carry-on bag on board if space permits. Qualifying cards are: MileagePlus Explorer Card, MileagePlus Explorer Business Card, MileagePlus Club Card, MileagePlus Club Business Card, Presidential PlusSM Card, Presidential Plus Business Card, MileagePlus Awards Card, Ixe United Universe Card, and Ixe United Card.
That's the 'written policy' I had the gate agents read on my iPad but it didn't convince them.

Last edited by zartemis; Sep 19, 2017 at 7:18 pm
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:16 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
That "if space permits" part probably gives GAs a little leeway to make things up as they go...
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by diburning
That "if space permits" part probably gives GAs a little leeway to make things up as they go...
My understanding is that's always true for all carry-ons of all passengers, though. And if any allowed carry-on is involuntarily checked, then isn't it usually done for free?

In our case, they wanted us to pay to check the carry-ons in advance of loading. If they said there was no room and required us to check it for free we would have done so (and then wondered how they choose; but I would have given in immediately). The flight was close to full, but not full. We were in E+ and there were empty seats near us. We boarded early (group 2) so do not know if some people had their carry-ons involuntarily checked for space reasons.

Also, they did not rely on the 'space permits' clause to deny me, they just said it didn't apply to me and could not explain why other than repeating: "basic economy doesn't get a carry-on, there are no exceptions". And even when I'd point out my boarding group 2, they'd shrug and say "you get to keep your boarding priority but you still don't get a carry-on".

ESL issue? Maybe: in the other paragraph posted by jsloan (I pointed out that paragraph specifically to them and watched them both read it) they used the initial phrase from it: "you're not allowed a full-sized carry-on bag" to try to prove to me I was wrong, stopping at 'unless'. I said "i'm covered under the 'unless' conditions" and they'd then switch to repeating their 'no exceptions' claim as if somehow 'unless' wasn't a means of listing exceptions.

Last edited by zartemis; Sep 19, 2017 at 9:25 pm
Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
It's in the policy:
Thanks. That page is different from another UA webpage I was looking at. It looks crystal clear to me, and something a gate agent should certainly "believe."

You're missing my point. Had I not bought a BE fare, and had paid the extra $40 per person, I also would not have gotten an upgrade because all the FC seats would have been allocated to other pax (there were actually only 5 upgrades out of 20 FC seats, so you weren't going to get one of those seats without some sort of upgrade instrument, even as a 1K). So all I've lost by saving the money is extra legroom and a 5-minute deplaning delay. As I said, those benefits are not worth $120 for 3 pax, at least to me.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zartemis
My understanding is that's always true for all carry-ons of all passengers, though. And if any allowed carry-on is involuntarily checked, then isn't it usually done for free?
Yes. The "space available" clause is there to limit the complaints when they're forced to gate check a bag due to the bins being full or when there's a leg on a regional jet. There would be no charge for that. These particular gate agents had clearly gone rogue; this wasn't a case of falling into a loophole in UA's policy.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
This was domestic to Canada, and we have had plenty of D-to-I and D-to-Guam and could never obtain E+ as Silver until that particular segment's T-24. You can check in for all segments but not obtain E+, yet.
I had the exact opposite experience as a Silver. With Domestic, US-CAN and US-MEX connecting flights, getting E+ on the connection was available at OLCI @T-24 for the first flight.

It's bad luck you didn't, but I​​​​​​ don't know how BE would have changed that. BE pax don't get seat assignments until the gate, I thought?
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:31 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by Wooglin
It's bad luck you didn't, but I​​​​​​ don't know how BE would have changed that. BE pax don't get seat assignments until the gate, I thought?
It's been mentioned elsewhere that UA has turned blue seats white for non-BE non-Premier customers when they check in in order to prevent BE customers from being "forced" to take E+ seats. Non-Premiers taking E+ seats at T-24 or OLCI is hurting Silvers.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
It's been mentioned elsewhere that UA has turned blue seats white for non-BE non-Premier customers when they check in in order to prevent BE customers from being "forced" to take E+ seats. Non-Premiers taking E+ seats at T-24 or OLCI is hurting Silvers.
this is im reference to the post about a flight to Canada, though, right. Canada flights still don't offer BE, so doubt this is happening on Canada flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.