Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...Now cancellable for a fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2016, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If purchased on united.com you will have to accept a warning about choosing Basic Economy and there will be orange "Basic Economy" highlights everywhere during the booking process.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No free seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system. Flyers (including elite) have the option to purchase regular economy and preferred economy (white seats with black triangle on seat map) seats after ticket purchase. E+ seats are not available for purchase until check-in. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period including SDC (occasionally 1K's have successfully used Same Day Standby and received a confirmed seat without penalty)
  • Carry on limited to one personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G, or traveling on an international BE product
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers are not eligible for premium cabin upgrades either via CPU, mileage upgrade award or PlusPoints
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G, or traveling on an international BE product
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carry-on if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Normal PQPs / RDMs based on fare and elite multipliers
  • No PQFs
  • Flight(s) do count towards the 4 flight minimum for UA-operated
  • Full Lifetime mileage
  • Domestic Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'. International BE can be in any class.
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass
  • Canceling a basic economy ticket will receive a flight credit for the price of the ticket, minus a fee. For domestic flights, the fee is $49.50 for one-way tickets and $99 for roundtrip tickets. For international flights, the fee is $99.50 for one-way tickets and $199 for roundtrip tickets
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

To avoid domestic BE fares ITA Matrix ~bc=N . Ignoring them on international flights is much trickier because they do not have a consistent pattern in the fare basis; it appears to change by market / region. (That said, as UA is lifting BE from legacy GDS systems, it may result in them disappearing from ITA Matrix anyway).

Google Flights -- select 1 Carry-on bag

NO UNUSED TICKET MAY BE USED TOWARD THE PURCHASE
OF A BASIC ECONOMY TICKET.
-------
NO RESIDUAL VALUE MAY BE USED TOWARD THE PURCHASE
OF A BASIC ECONOMY TICKET.

How is this different from buying up BE to regular economy?

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...Now cancellable for a fee

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2024, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by italdesign
I have the MileagePlus Biz card, no status. Do I understand correctly:
  • I can bring a free carry-on, only if I pay the ticket with the card. Partial payment is eligible (>=$0.01).
    • Are there DPs on whether the "must pay with UA CC" requirement is enforced?
  • I can also bring a free checked bag, subject to the same requirement as above (paid >=$0.01 with the card).
  • My travel companions, who don't have a UA card, cannot bring either a free carry-on or checked bag, even if they're on the same ticket as me AND was paid with my UA card.
Thanks.
Disclaimer, I don't buy BE, but the following should be correct:
  • Only thing paying for the card gets you that paying with something else doesn't is the free checked bag - other benefits are tied to the primary cardholder MP account. Disclaimer: Buying through an OTA/TA will not pass on the card used info, and will not result in free checked bag
  • Carry on does not require using the card - they enforce carry on eligibility by group number, which as a cardholder, you'll have access to BG2 as long as your MP account is the one tied to the card
  • Your companions will NEVER be on the same 'ticket' as you - every passenger always gets a separate ticket. However, they will receive the same benefits as you as long as they are on the same 'PNR" or 'reservation
italdesign likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 5:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by emcampbe
  • Your companions will NEVER be on the same 'ticket' as you - every passenger always gets a separate ticket. However, they will receive the same benefits as you as long as they are on the same 'PNR" or 'reservation
Thanks. Do you think my same-PNR companions will also have boarding group 2 and hence carry-on?
Old Apr 12, 2024, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Thanks. Do you think my same-PNR companions will also have boarding group 2 and hence carry-on?
Yes, they will. As long as one of you had a card, you should all get that 'priority' boarding benefit, and therefore, be able to bring the regular carry on.
italdesign likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Disclaimer, I don't buy BE, but the following should be correct:
  • Only thing paying for the card gets you that paying with something else doesn't is the free checked bag - other benefits are tied to the primary cardholder MP account. Disclaimer: Buying through an OTA/TA will not pass on the card used info, and will not result in free checked bag
  • Carry on does not require using the card - they enforce carry on eligibility by group number, which as a cardholder, you'll have access to BG2 as long as your MP account is the one tied to the card
Speaking from experience, the free bag is only for you and one companion. Also, if you check in online it may charge you. You should be able to get the fee refunded but YMMV.
Whatever you do, do NOT request that refund until after you arrive at your destination. They may cancel your ticket.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 11:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I have the MileagePlus Biz card, no status. Do I understand correctly:
  • I can bring a free carry-on, only if I pay the ticket with the card. Partial payment is eligible (>=$0.01).
    • Are there DPs on whether the "must pay with UA CC" requirement is enforced?
  • I can also bring a free checked bag, subject to the same requirement as above (paid >=$0.01 with the card).
  • My travel companions, who don't have a UA card, cannot bring either a free carry-on or checked bag, even if they're on the same ticket as me AND was paid with my UA card.
Thanks.
UA only requires one to be a cardholder
For MileagePlus Premier members or cardholders
You get one free carry-on if you’re a MileagePlus® member with Premier status, traveling with a Premier member, or are the primary card member of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card or a Star Alliance Gold member
To get free checked bags you must use the card but not for the BE carryon waiver.

Note anyone on your PNR will get the same benefits, Your boarding group will be BG2
Old Apr 17, 2024, 8:21 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA only requires one to be a cardholder

"For MileagePlus Premier members or cardholders
You get one free carry-on if you’re a MileagePlus® member with Premier status, traveling with a Premier member, or are the primary card member of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card or a Star Alliance Gold member"
My literal reading of that was carry-on benefit is only for the primary card member, i.e. companions who don't have their own United CC are toast.

Based on what you guys are saying, the verbiage should be more clear like this:

"You get one free carry-on if you're a UA status member, primary CC holder, *A Gold member, or traveling with someone on the same PNR with one of the aforementioned eligibility."
Old Apr 17, 2024, 10:43 am

My literal reading of that was carry-on benefit is only for the primary card member, i.e. companions who don't have their own United CC are toast.

Based on what you guys are saying, the verbiage should be more clear like this:

"You get one free carry-on if you're a UA status member, primary CC holder, *A Gold member, or traveling with someone on the same PNR with one of the aforementioned eligibility."
1) it might be a technical limitation that UA never bother fixing (same PNR = same priority boarding group, which implicitly means not BG5 and allow carryon). For other *a carriers, they are capable of having different boarding group for same PNR.

2) UA isn't keen on their verbiage - see their United Club access policy is still not clean/clear verbiage

For now, we just see that it's applied across PNR. Tomorrow, if UA decides not to do it, we won't know until someone (like you) comes and says UA no longer does it. We can't complain bc UA is still following the current verbiage (which doesn't mention about cross PNR)
SPN Lifer and italdesign like this.
Old Yesterday, 9:57 am

Am I missing any downside?

Was looking to book ticket to Vegas (I have Quest card). Difference between BE and E is $50. For E, best free options for 2 seats together are way in the back of the plane. But looks like I can book BE and purchase preferred seats for $40 each so my BE with preferred seats purchased is still $10 less than E with the back of the plane seats.

With the Quest card sounds like both wife and I still get Group 2 and therefore able to bring carry on bag (this is my biggest fear - sounds like all reports say carry on doesn't get enforced with Group 2 but never know when they might start looking at BE in any boarding group. . . )

Other than not having the ability to change the flight - any other downsides?
Old Yesterday, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by David Simon
...But looks like I can book BE and purchase preferred seats for $40 each so my BE with preferred seats purchased is still $10 less than E with the back of the plane seats. ....
BE should disable the ability to purchase preferred seat / E+ access. It will cost $50 to change a domestic BE to regular Economy and then the preferred seat access can be purchased.
Old Yesterday, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
BE should disable the ability to purchase preferred seat / E+ access. It will cost $50 to change a domestic BE to regular Economy and then the preferred seat access can be purchased.
Unless only offered to premier members, all of my BE tickets allow me to purchase preferred seats w/o upgrading my ticket to regular.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Yesterday, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Unless only offered to premier members, all of my BE tickets allow me to purchase preferred seats w/o upgrading my ticket to regular.
Interesting -- including domestic flights?

Seat selection: Seats are automatically assigned prior to boarding and can't be changed. Customers traveling together, including families, will not be able to sit together. Advance seat assignments may be available for purchase during booking and up until check-in opens.
UA seems to added Advance Seat assignments (for a fee) contradicting the first and second sentence
Old Yesterday, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17

UA seems to added Advance Seat assignments (for a fee) contradicting the first and second sentence
I've had the same experience, including for domestic flights. Economy Plus is blocked off as unavailable, but the Economy Preferred normal Economy seats are allowed for selection with a fee.

Originally Posted by David Simon
Was looking to book ticket to Vegas (I have Quest card). Difference between BE and E is $50. For E, best free options for 2 seats together are way in the back of the plane. But looks like I can book BE and purchase preferred seats for $40 each so my BE with preferred seats purchased is still $10 less than E with the back of the plane seats.

With the Quest card sounds like both wife and I still get Group 2 and therefore able to bring carry on bag (this is my biggest fear - sounds like all reports say carry on doesn't get enforced with Group 2 but never know when they might start looking at BE in any boarding group. . . )

Other than not having the ability to change the flight - any other downsides?
If you board with group 2, you will be able to bring a carry-on bag. The BE ticket is not a concern.

Unless the flight is quite full already and you absolutely must sit together, I would not pay the extra seat assignment fees. You will probably be assigned seats together when you check in, and if not, usually you can change seats after checking in.
Old Yesterday, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold

Correct - domestic - see illustration below (cheap MR between EWR and PDX)

(Terrible highlights are mine; confirmation # removed for obvious reasons)

(Preferred and regular E seats are available for purchase; aisle most expensive, followed by window, and then middle)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.