Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...Now cancellable for a fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2016, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If purchased on united.com you will have to accept a warning about choosing Basic Economy and there will be orange "Basic Economy" highlights everywhere during the booking process.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No free seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system. Flyers (including elite) have the option to purchase regular economy and preferred economy (white seats with black triangle on seat map) seats after ticket purchase. E+ seats are not available for purchase until check-in. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period including SDC (occasionally 1K's have successfully used Same Day Standby and received a confirmed seat without penalty)
  • Carry on limited to one personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G, or traveling on an international BE product
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers are not eligible for premium cabin upgrades either via CPU, mileage upgrade award or PlusPoints
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G, or traveling on an international BE product
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carry-on if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Normal PQPs / RDMs based on fare and elite multipliers
  • No PQFs
  • Flight(s) do count towards the 4 flight minimum for UA-operated
  • Full Lifetime mileage
  • Domestic Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'. International BE can be in any class.
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass
  • Canceling a basic economy ticket will receive a flight credit for the price of the ticket, minus a fee. For domestic flights, the fee is $49.50 for one-way tickets and $99 for roundtrip tickets. For international flights, the fee is $99.50 for one-way tickets and $199 for roundtrip tickets
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

To avoid domestic BE fares ITA Matrix ~bc=N . Ignoring them on international flights is much trickier because they do not have a consistent pattern in the fare basis; it appears to change by market / region. (That said, as UA is lifting BE from legacy GDS systems, it may result in them disappearing from ITA Matrix anyway).

Google Flights -- select 1 Carry-on bag

NO UNUSED TICKET MAY BE USED TOWARD THE PURCHASE
OF A BASIC ECONOMY TICKET.
-------
NO RESIDUAL VALUE MAY BE USED TOWARD THE PURCHASE
OF A BASIC ECONOMY TICKET.

How is this different from buying up BE to regular economy?

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...Now cancellable for a fee

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2022, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
It's a mostly archaic distinction and one of our resident TAs will probably be able to explain better than me.

The two common types are "special fare" and "normal fare". Normal fares are almost exclusively limited to J/Y/B classes and are commonly harmonized across alliances and often carriers as well. They also conventionally never expire, don't have many (if any restrictions), are refundable, etc. I believe the heritage is from being fares that were good for travel on basically any airline, with free changes and last-seat availability (when carriers settled up revenues by weighing stacks of tickets).

Anything even remotely discounted will be a "special fare".

As an example, your K fare is restricted in application and routing (in addition to other aspects):

Code:
    V FARE BASIS     BK    FARE   TRAVEL-TICKET AP  MINMAX  RTG
  1   KHX00SO2       K‡R   698.00     ----      -/‡ ‡‡/ 6M PA01
PASSENGER TYPE-ADT                 AUTO PRICE-YES              
FROM-SFO TO-SIN    CXR-UA    TVL-18APR22  RULE-2RNW IPRP/3
FARE BASIS-KHX00SO2          SPECIAL FARE  DIS-E   VENDOR-ATP
FARE TYPE-XPN      RT-INSTANT PURCHASE NONREFUNDABLE-TYPE FARES
USD   698.00  0502  E30JAN21 D-INFINITY   FC-KHX00SO2  FN-M4   
SYSTEM DATES - CREATED 05APR22/1310  EXPIRES INFINITY

PUBLISHED RTG SFO-SIN/UA502 /TAR-TPRG    EF-06APR22 DIS-INDEF

/VIA THE PACIFIC/
MAP CONSTRUCTED LEFT TO RIGHT AND RIGHT TO LEFT
 1. SFO-HNL/ITO/KOA/LIH/OGG-HA/UA/WP-ITO/JHM/KOA/LIH/LNY/MKK/
    OGG-HA/UA/WP-HNL-GUM-3K/BR/CX/GA/GK/HX/KA/MH/MI/NH/OD/OZ/
    PR/SQ/UA/VN-HKG/SEL/SIN/TPE-3K/BR/CX/GA/GK/HX/KA/MH/MI/NH/
    OD/OZ/PR/SQ/UA/VN-SIN
 2. SFO-HNL/ITO/KOA/LIH/OGG-HA/UA/WP-ITO/JHM/KOA/LIH/LNY/MKK/
    OGG-HA/UA/WP-HNL-GUM-3K/BR/CX/GA/GK/HX/KA/MH/MI/NH/OD/OZ/
    PR/SQ/UA/VN-SIN
 3. SFO-HNL/ITO/KOA/LIH/OGG-HA/UA/WP-ITO/JHM/KOA/LIH/LNY/MKK/
    OGG-HA/UA/WP-HNL-NH/UA-SFO-OSA/TYO-NH/UA-OSA/TYO-3K/BR/CX/
    GA/GK/HX/KA/MH/MI/NH/OD/OZ/PR/SQ/UA/VN-HKG/SEL/SIN/TPE-3K/
    BR/CX/GA/GK/HX/KA/MH/MI/NH/OD/OZ/PR/SQ/UA/VN-SIN
 4. SFO-HNL/ITO/KOA/LIH/OGG-HA/UA/WP-ITO/JHM/KOA/LIH/LNY/MKK/
    OGG-HA/UA/WP-HNL-NH/UA-SFO-OSA/TYO-NH/UA-OSA/TYO-3K/BR/CX/
    GA/GK/HX/KA/MH/MI/NH/OD/OZ/PR/SQ/UA/VN-SIN
 5. SFO-LAS-DEN/LAX/SEA/SFO/SJC-HNL/ITO/KOA/LIH/OGG-HA/UA/WP-
    ITO/JHM/KOA/LIH/LNY/MKK/OGG-HA/UA/WP-HNL-GUM-3K/BR/CX/GA/
    GK/HX/KA/MH/MI/NH/OD/OZ/PR/SQ/UA/VN-HKG/SEL/SIN/TPE-3K/BR/
    CX/GA/GK/HX/KA/MH/MI/NH/OD/OZ/PR/SQ/UA/VN-SIN
 6. SFO-LAS-DEN/LAX/SEA/SFO/SJC-HNL/ITO/KOA/LIH/OGG-HA/UA/WP-
    ITO/JHM/KOA/LIH/LNY/MKK/OGG-HA/UA/WP-HNL-GUM-3K/BR/CX/GA/
    GK/HX/KA/MH/MI/NH/OD/OZ/PR/SQ/UA/VN-SIN
 7. SFO-LAS-DEN/LAX/SEA/SFO/SJC-HNL/ITO/KOA/LIH/OGG-HA/UA/WP-
    ITO/JHM/KOA/LIH/LNY/MKK/OGG-HA/UA/WP-HNL-NH/UA-SFO-OSA/
    TYO-NH/UA-OSA/TYO-3K/BR/CX/GA/GK/HX/KA/MH/MI/NH/OD/OZ/PR/
    SQ/UA/VN-HKG/SEL/SIN/TPE-3K/BR/CX/GA/GK/HX/KA/MH/MI/NH/OD/
    OZ/PR/SQ/UA/VN-SIN
 8. SFO-LAS-DEN/LAX/SEA/SFO/SJC-HNL/ITO/KOA/LIH/OGG-HA/UA/WP-
    ITO/JHM/KOA/LIH/LNY/MKK/OGG-HA/UA/WP-HNL-NH/UA-SFO-OSA/
    TYO-NH/UA-OSA/TYO-3K/BR/CX/GA/GK/HX/KA/MH/MI/NH/OD/OZ/PR/
    SQ/UA/VN-SIN
 9. SFO-LAX/SFO-LAS-DEN/LAX/SEA/SFO/SJC-HNL/ITO/KOA/LIH/OGG-
    HA/UA/WP-ITO/JHM/KOA/LIH/LNY/MKK/OGG-HA/UA/WP-HNL-GUM-3K/
    BR/CX/GA/GK/HX/KA/MH/MI/NH/OD/OZ/PR/SQ/UA/VN-HKG/SEL/SIN/
    TPE-3K/BR/CX/GA/GK/HX/KA/MH/MI/NH/OD/OZ/PR/SQ/UA/VN-SIN
10. SFO-LAX/SFO-LAS-DEN/LAX/SEA/SFO/SJC-HNL/ITO/KOA/LIH/OGG-
    HA/UA/WP-ITO/JHM/KOA/LIH/LNY/MKK/OGG-HA/UA/WP-HNL-GUM-3K/
    BR/CX/GA/GK/HX/KA/MH/MI/NH/OD/OZ/PR/SQ/UA/VN-SIN
11. SFO-LAX/SFO-LAS-DEN/LAX/SEA/SFO/SJC-HNL/ITO/KOA/LIH/OGG-
    HA/UA/WP-ITO/JHM/KOA/LIH/LNY/MKK/OGG-HA/UA/WP-HNL-NH/UA-
    SFO-OSA/TYO-NH/UA-OSA/TYO-3K/BR/CX/GA/GK/HX/KA/MH/MI/NH/
    OD/OZ/PR/SQ/UA/VN-HKG/SEL/SIN/TPE-3K/BR/CX/GA/GK/HX/KA/MH/
    MI/NH/OD/OZ/PR/SQ/UA/VN-SIN
12. SFO-LAX/SFO-LAS-DEN/LAX/SEA/SFO/SJC-HNL/ITO/KOA/LIH/OGG-
    HA/UA/WP-ITO/JHM/KOA/LIH/LNY/MKK/OGG-HA/UA/WP-HNL-NH/UA-
    SFO-OSA/TYO-NH/UA-OSA/TYO-3K/BR/CX/GA/GK/HX/KA/MH/MI/NH/
    OD/OZ/PR/SQ/UA/VN-SIN
13. SFO-OSA/TYO-NH/UA-OSA/TYO-3K/BR/CX/GA/GK/HX/KA/MH/MI/NH/
    OD/OZ/PR/SQ/UA/VN-HKG/SEL/SIN/TPE-3K/BR/CX/GA/GK/HX/KA/MH/
    MI/NH/OD/OZ/PR/SQ/UA/VN-SIN
14. SFO-OSA/TYO-NH/UA-OSA/TYO-3K/BR/CX/GA/GK/HX/KA/MH/MI/NH/
    OD/OZ/PR/SQ/UA/VN-SIN

THE FARE COMPONENT MUST NOT INCLUDE TRAVEL VIA
   TRANSPACIFIC SECTORS ON
       ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
           UA FLIGHT 857.
   AND
   THE FARE COMPONENT MUST INCLUDE TRAVEL VIA TRANSPACIFIC
   SECTORS ON
           ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY NH
           ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY NQ
           ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY UA.
   AND
   IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL BETWEEN KOREA REP
   OF SOUTH AND SINGAPORE
       THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON
           ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY UA
           ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY OZ
           ANY OZ FLIGHT OPERATED BY OZ.
   AND
   IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL WITHIN KOREA REP
   OF SOUTH
           ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY UA
           ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY OZ
           ANY OZ FLIGHT OPERATED BY OZ.
   AND
   IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL BETWEEN TYO/OSA
   AND HKG
       THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST NOT BE ON
           ANY NH FLIGHT OPERATED BY ET.
   AND
   AND BKK/SIN
           ANY NH FLIGHT OPERATED BY BR
           ANY NH FLIGHT OPERATED BY SQ
           ANY NH FLIGHT OPERATED BY TG.
   AND
   AND TPE
           ANY NH FLIGHT OPERATED BY BR
           ANY NH FLIGHT OPERATED BY SQ
           ANY NH FLIGHT OPERATED BY TG.
   AND
   AND JKT/DPS
           ANY NH FLIGHT OPERATED BY GA.
   AND
   AND SGN/HAN
           ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY NH
           ANY NH FLIGHT OPERATED BY NH
           ANY VN FLIGHT OPERATED BY VN.
But a normal fare on SFO-SIN basically requires UA-marketed flight across the Pacific and a very loose restriction on routing. Otherwise, anything is fair game as long as they interline with UA:

Code:
    V FARE BASIS     BK    FARE   TRAVEL-TICKET AP  MINMAX  RTG
  1   Y1WY           Y‡X  3718.00     ----      -    -/  - PA01
PASSENGER TYPE-ADT                 AUTO PRICE-YES              
FROM-SFO TO-SIN    CXR-UA    TVL-18APR22  RULE-1URW IPRP/3
FARE BASIS-Y1WY              NORMAL FARE  DIS-N   VENDOR-ATP
FARE TYPE-EU      OW-ECONOMY UNRESTRICTED
USD  3718.00   MPM  E10MAR22 D-INFINITY   FC-Y1WY  FN-     
SYSTEM DATES - CREATED 09MAR22/2022  EXPIRES INFINITY

PUBLISHED RTG SFO-SIN/UA      EF-10MAR22 DIS-INDEF

/VIA THE PACIFIC/ MPM 10130
MILEAGE SYSTEM APPLIES BETWEEN ORIGIN AND DESTINATION
 MILEAGE SYSTEM APPLIES ORIGIN TO DESTINATION
       TICKETED POINT DEDUCTION OF 800 MILES APPLIES
       WHEN TRAVEL IS VIA HNL
       PROVIDED ALL TRAVEL IS VIA UA

THE FARE COMPONENT MUST NOT INCLUDE TRAVEL VIA
   TRANSPACIFIC SECTORS ON
           UA FLIGHT 857.
   AND
   THE FARE COMPONENT MUST INCLUDE TRAVEL VIA TRANSPACIFIC
   SECTORS ON
           ANY UA FLIGHT.
(Y1WY also permits unlimited transfers and unlimited free stopovers.)

The bar on UA857 is a special override for the US-China COVID stuff (flight is SFO-PVG).
Punekar likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I am taking the flights especially since my Marriott SNA cleared for an Executive Suite which makes this trip all the better.

All day I've been watching the seat map and while the flight remains J1 Y0, the seat map has slowly had quite a few seats open up including middle seats in E-. I was starting to get nervous as there was 1 E+ window, several E+ aisles and the exit row window available (the one with no seat in front of it). I almost bought the exit row for $60 but decided to wait.

At T-23:10 I checked the seat map again and the window in E+ just disappeared (was there 10 minutes prior). My thought process is that as soon as I start the check-in process I'll be auto-assigned seats and they stick until I talk to someone in the lounge or at the gate. Well, I started OLCI and after getting the big orange warning about being on a basic economy fare I saw my seat assignments: 8D (E+ window for the short trip to EWR) and 8F (that one E+ window) for the long haul across the Atlantic. Somehow UA decided to auto assign me the last E+ window. THANK YOU, UNITED!! On both planes there are quite a few E- seats open. The EWR-TATL flight has 5 E-, 11 "Preferred" E- and about 5 E+.

Interesting to note: during OLCI it tells me I can select an E+ seat for $35, similar to the poster above. However, I can only select an E+ seat on the 30 minute short hop to EWR. And it wants to charge me $35 even though I'm in an E+ seat already. For EWR-TATL, the seat map will only show me E- seats and offers no chance to buy an E+ seat even though there are 5 unassigned right now.

Bottom line...I couldn't be happier (unless I'm able to take a bump and get comp for it and then route via FRA/MUC - haha). Still no idea why I got assigned E+ given the empty seats in E-.

Note: after the auto-assignment happened Tuesday night, no other seats have been auto assigned from what I can tell. I also have not been assigned any seats for the return on Monday.

PS - this is my first ever 'teal' colored boarding pass from the app. I'm not sure if this is a new color for "Travel Ready" (never was in the past) or it's a combo of Basic Economy + TATL? I thought Basic Economy was orange colored for BPs.

Edit 2: I was finally offered a $35 fee to change my E+ seat on the EWR-TATL flight. I think the $35 offers are only valid once the 24 hour check-in opens for each flight. Since I'm already in the best available E+ seat for free I think I'll pass

-RM
Curious to know how your Monday return worked out??
Old Apr 19, 2022, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Curious to know how your Monday return worked out??
Everything went a little sideways with the ticket, all my doing and mostly in my favor.

On Friday before I flew the outbound the same fare for my flights went down over $200. I tried to rebook the ticket including the outbound but it kept erroring out. Knowing I can't change basic economy tickets I then tried just to change the return (which was originally booked to a co-terminal further away than the one I wanted to fly to). During the change I selected a true economy flight and NOT basic economy. The new ticket was $4 cheaper than the one I had booked and the website made the change but I was not issued a credit. No big deal. I was now booked to the airport I preferred to get back to. During this process I was allowed to select any E+ seat on the return flights for free with zero mention of basic economy.

Friday's flights were already a mess because just about everything to EWR was delayed due to wind and a potential ground stop. I changed to an earlier flight to EWR (which itself was 2 hours delayed). The agent had no problem making the change but I was technically put on standby and then cleared almost immediately. Upon boarding EWR-TATL the agent denied me and said my ticket was out of sync. The second gate agent had to help me and it took her 5 minutes to fix the ticket. I'm still not sure what she did. But I'm sure my ticket was out of sync before I even changed my xxx-EWR flight. Anyway, ultimately made it to Europe.

On the return on Monday the website kept insisting I was on a basic economy ticket. I was asked to pay $35 to change E+ seats (no need, I had already booked excellent ones during my change on Friday). What I find so weird is an 8 hour TATL flight is $35 but it's also $35 for E+ on a 30 minute short hop ex-EWR. When I got to EWR I was able to use the app to standby for an earlier EWR-xxx flight and I cleared. I was #1 on the list so my status was helping. I never once appeared on any upgrade list - for either the flight I was originally booked on or the one I cleared standby on.

I'm not sure what to make of what happened to the ticket. You're not supposed to be able to change a BE ticket and I was able to. You're not supposed to be able to make any changes to the flights (I had one voluntary and one involuntary) and I was able to do both.

Is this is a situation of "once a basic economy ticket, always a basic economy ticket?"

-RM
Old Apr 19, 2022, 9:35 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Wow! Nice eye catching the lower fares! Glad it all worked out, wonder if your refund will process
Old Apr 19, 2022, 12:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RobOnLI

Is this is a situation of "once a basic economy ticket, always a basic economy ticket?" ...
At one time the fare rules did not allow BE credits to be used to buy non-BE tickets, have not checked recently

Much has changed about BE changeability but there may be lingering issues.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 5:54 am

Programs: UA Silver
BE TICKET, FULL FLIGHT, CHECKED IN, NO SEAT ASSIGNMENT, BOARDING PASS SAYS SEE AGENT: I am on a BE ticket. I am checked in, have no sequence #, no seat assignment(as every seat is already taken). Trying to understand what happens here...do I hope someone oversleeps for my 7am flight...since I want to fly on this flight will they look for someone to bump? I am Silver but not sure that helps.

UPDATE- checkin+2hrs, now I have 25c. Not sure how but happy to have it. Thank you for posting the boarding priorities paperwastage.

Last edited by detony; Apr 20, 2022 at 7:53 am Reason: UPDATE- checkin +2hrs.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by detony
BE TICKET, FULL FLIGHT, CHECKED IN, NO SEAT ASSIGNMENT, BOARDING PASS SAYS SEE AGENT: I am on a BE ticket. I am checked in, have no sequence #, no seat assignment(as every seat is already taken). Trying to understand what happens here...do I hope someone oversleeps for my 7am flight...since I want to fly on this flight will they look for someone to bump? I am Silver but not sure that helps.
Just make sure you are present at boarding. Most likely a seat will open up or someone will volunteer for a voucher Consolidated Involuntary Denied Boarding--based on fare/status/check-in time/what?

https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/con...e.html#rule-25

Boarding Priorities - If a flight is Oversold, no one may be denied boarding against his/her will until UA or other carrier personnel first ask for volunteers who will give up their reservations willingly in exchange for compensation as determined by UA.

If there are not enough volunteers, other Passengers may be denied boarding involuntarily in accordance with UA’s boarding priority:.
Passengers who are Qualified Individuals with Disabilities and their Service Animal or travel assistant, unaccompanied minors under the age of 18 years, or minors between the ages of 5 to 14 years who use the unaccompanied minor service, and for Canada departures only, families traveling together, will be the last to be involuntarily denied boarding if it is determined by UA that such denial would constitute a hardship.

The priority of all other confirmed passengers may be determined based on a passenger’s fare class, itinerary, status of frequent flyer program membership, whether the passenger purchased the ticket under select UA corporate travel agreements, and the time in which the passenger presents him/herself for check-in without advanced seat assignment.
detony likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 8:08 am

Programs: AA, UA, Hilton, Choice, Wyndham
Basic economy: missing flight. What happens?

I've got relatives flying an international airline into LAX (no interlining / bundled onwards airfares. Must buy separate positioning flight on UA). By the time they land, there's 2 more flights to IAD. The first one is cheaper but leaves a very short time for customs/immigration/check-in/security.

What happens if I buy the earlier flight in basic economy and they miss it (e.g. not even make it to check-in)? Will UA definitely assign standby/seat on the 2nd flight? Or might the entire ticket be essentially thrown away? I am very confident that the 2nd flight (last LAX-IAD of the night) has space.

Thanks!
Old Apr 20, 2022, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The official rules are:
  • If you cancel prior to departure, there is a change fee of USD 99.00 to apply the value of the coupon to another ticket, using currentfares.
  • If the ticket is not canceled prior to departure, it is voided when you are offloaded and the value is forfeit.
For normal tickets and normal circumstances, UA is usually somewhat lenient about treating your at-fault late arrival as IRROPS ("flat tire rule") but this has always been at the mercy of an agent, and general reports are that BE tickets get much, much less mercy.
centrifuge41 likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
So how will the latest changes to BE affect tpac and tatl fares?
Old Apr 21, 2022, 6:22 am

Programs: BA, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, KLM Gold, AB Gold, Accor Plat, BW Diamond, Qantas Svr, Etihad Svr
Premier 1k, Basic Economy. What can I expect

Hi, I am a Premier 1k due to work getting this for me. I am flying United in Basic DUB to NYC in May. Am I right in thinking I will get free bags? What are my chances of getting seated with my partner, or getting Economy Plus? Do I stand a chance of either? Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...lable-fee.html

See the thread Wiki before Post # 1.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 6:29 am

Programs: BA, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, KLM Gold, AB Gold, Accor Plat, BW Diamond, Qantas Svr, Etihad Svr
I have read it. But it's clear that things are not set in stone.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 6:42 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mrtibbs1999
Here are the set-in-stone policies: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...c-economy.html

I would say NOT to expect anything but a middle, non-Economy Plus seat assigned at check-in, not near your traveling companion. Anything you get beyond that would be a blessing, but you can purchase Economy Plus seating. You do get your baggage allowance.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 7:13 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mrtibbs1999
Yes, UA computer does have certain algorithms; the worst that you will get is the regular economy middle seat if the flight is nearly full. If the computer is in good mood, 😆, you may get a slightly better seat. In other word, expect the worst and be nicely surprised when you get a better seat.

If flight is empty and has a lot of E+ seats available, you can get an E+ seat (possibly with your partner) by nicely asking a gate agent. He/she may refuse the request. But the rate of success is very high due to 1K status.

Good luck.
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.