Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...Now cancellable for a fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2016, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If purchased on united.com you will have to accept a warning about choosing Basic Economy and there will be orange "Basic Economy" highlights everywhere during the booking process.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No free seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system. Flyers (including elite) have the option to purchase regular economy and preferred economy (white seats with black triangle on seat map) seats after ticket purchase. E+ seats are not available for purchase until check-in. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period including SDC (occasionally 1K's have successfully used Same Day Standby and received a confirmed seat without penalty)
  • Carry on limited to one personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G, or traveling on an international BE product
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers are not eligible for premium cabin upgrades either via CPU, mileage upgrade award or PlusPoints
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G, or traveling on an international BE product
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carry-on if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Normal PQPs / RDMs based on fare and elite multipliers
  • No PQFs
  • Flight(s) do count towards the 4 flight minimum for UA-operated
  • Full Lifetime mileage
  • Domestic Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'. International BE can be in any class.
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass
  • Canceling a basic economy ticket will receive a flight credit for the price of the ticket, minus a fee. For domestic flights, the fee is $49.50 for one-way tickets and $99 for roundtrip tickets. For international flights, the fee is $99.50 for one-way tickets and $199 for roundtrip tickets
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

To avoid domestic BE fares ITA Matrix ~bc=N . Ignoring them on international flights is much trickier because they do not have a consistent pattern in the fare basis; it appears to change by market / region. (That said, as UA is lifting BE from legacy GDS systems, it may result in them disappearing from ITA Matrix anyway).

Google Flights -- select 1 Carry-on bag

NO UNUSED TICKET MAY BE USED TOWARD THE PURCHASE
OF A BASIC ECONOMY TICKET.
-------
NO RESIDUAL VALUE MAY BE USED TOWARD THE PURCHASE
OF A BASIC ECONOMY TICKET.

How is this different from buying up BE to regular economy?

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...Now cancellable for a fee

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2023, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LAX/HKG
I currently have not chosen a seat for my upcoming ORD-LAX flight on a BE ticket. Once a seat is assigned at OLCI (which I am pretty sure will be a middle seat), will I be able to change it to window seat (only preferred seats are left now on the seat map) without paying any fees?
by the rules, no. Anytime you choose a seat, including after check in, there is a fee. Though some have asked and been given new seats by a GA. YMMV.

although that is assuming there are any window/aisle seats left. This is a hub-to-hub flight, so unless at a very odd non-peak hour (very late night, for example), I’d expect if there are any seats left at OLCI opening, they will be middles. Also, the algorithm is not (at least, per most reports) purposely punishing - others have reported receiving aisle/windows (when available) - some (though mostly premier members, though not always) have even received assignments in E+. That said, if an aisle or window seat is important to you, especially on a hub-to-hub like this, I’d buck up and spend the few bucks on it.
kalo93406 likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 11:47 am

Programs: Mattiott Lifetime Titanium Elite, LH SEN, IB Emerald, Hilton Diamond
Had an interesting conversation yesterday with Lufthansa staff: But first the overall big picture:
UA Ticket in "Basic Eco" fare. Member is Star Gold (LH). Routing is FRA-LHR (LH) // LHR-EWR (UA). All on one ticket.

LH insisted that I had to pay for the luggage for the leg FRA-LHR as they are the operating carrier. And not considering that I had two pieces free on the longhaul leg [as gold].

Is this new? Will have a similar ticket in 3 weeks with a combo of Brussels/United [again in Eco basic]
Thx
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Andie007
Had an interesting conversation yesterday with Lufthansa staff: But first the overall big picture:
UA Ticket in "Basic Eco" fare. Member is Star Gold (LH). Routing is FRA-LHR (LH) // LHR-EWR (UA). All on one ticket.

LH insisted that I had to pay for the luggage for the leg FRA-LHR as they are the operating carrier. And not considering that I had two pieces free on the longhaul leg [as gold].

Is this new? Will have a similar ticket in 3 weeks with a combo of Brussels/United [again in Eco basic]
Thx
International basic economy doesn’t include a checked bag. *G is only one checked bag over allowance (so 1, not 2) but unclear if LH applies *G benefits to BE fares, sounds like they do not based on information you relayed.

edit: LH baggage calculator for an international BE fare on a *G member indicates no checked bag allowance. While UA allows select premier benefits on BE, it appears LH does not, or at least not for non miles-and-more *G members.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 11:59 am

Programs: Mattiott Lifetime Titanium Elite, LH SEN, IB Emerald, Hilton Diamond
The UA App is showing two for free on the UA leg.
But isn't "most significant carrier on the route"-rule kicking in? I never had such trouble on connecting flights with Basic Eco before - this was quite new for me yesterday and the CI agent was insisting that LH as first carrier sets the rules.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 12:01 pm

The UA App is showing two for free on the UA leg.
But isn't "most significant carrier on the route"-rule kicking in? I never had such trouble on connecting flights with Basic Eco before - this was quite new for me yesterday and the CI agent was insisting that LH as first carrier sets the rules.
These rules (MSC or first marketing carrier) apply for determining ticketed allowance, NOT baggage exceptions for status. The ticketed allowance is 0. This is the same issue people run into with respect to baggage allowance discrepancies when flying Vistara to connect to UA from DEL.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I would expect one free bag on this trip, as LH waives it for *G in "intercontinental" BE and the tariff should apply on FRA-EWR. However, this is down to how LH applies waivers so I don't know that you have a leg to stand on.

For HON Circle Members, Senators and Star Alliance Gold customers on intercontinental flights, the first item of baggage on the Economy Light fare is free of charge and can only be declared at the check-in counter.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 2:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... But isn't "most significant carrier on the route"-rule kicking in? .....
As mentioned, MSC has nothing to do with bags
Also, MSC is not required for Itins touching the USA. The US DOT rules apply to bag allowance and it states the first marketing carrier rules apply. That carrier is allow to deffer to MSC at their choice, otherwise it is their bag rules.
SPN Lifer and SamirD like this.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Originally Posted by emcampbe
by the rules, no. Anytime you choose a seat, including after check in, there is a fee. Though some have asked and been given new seats by a GA. YMMV.

although that is assuming there are any window/aisle seats left. This is a hub-to-hub flight, so unless at a very odd non-peak hour (very late night, for example), I’d expect if there are any seats left at OLCI opening, they will be middles. Also, the algorithm is not (at least, per most reports) purposely punishing - others have reported receiving aisle/windows (when available) - some (though mostly premier members, though not always) have even received assignments in E+. That said, if an aisle or window seat is important to you, especially on a hub-to-hub like this, I’d buck up and spend the few bucks on it.
I just flew my first Basic economy and I was able to assign a seat from the middle, back row seat that I was auto-assigned to another "white" seat with no charge. The "preferred" and E+ seats all specified a charge. Was I ymmv lucky or has something changed?
Emerald31 and SamirD like this.
Old Jul 25, 2023, 6:16 am

Programs: TK Gold, QR Gold, BA Bronze
Need clarity, ANC to YVR * Gold was allowed 2 bags on Economy, same booking ref YVR to Den UA1036 had to pay for 2 nd bag.
Why
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2023, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sachdev
Need clarity, ANC to YVR * Gold was allowed 2 bags on Economy, same booking ref YVR to Den UA1036 had to pay for 2 nd bag.
Why
Which program is your status with?

UA doesn't fly ANC to YVR, so I assume you flew Air Canada for that segment? If your *G status is from Aeroplan, that'd explain why. Aeroplan 25K and up members get 2+ bags on that route. *G from another carrier would only get one, though, as the underlying ticket allowance is zero.
SPN Lifer and SamirD like this.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
GDS providers using EDIFACT will no longer see BE fares effective September 5. BE fares were designed to generate ancillary sales, which EDIFACT does not provide, so UA's axing that channel's access.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
GDS providers using EDIFACT will no longer see BE fares effective September 5. BE fares were designed to generate ancillary sales, which EDIFACT does not provide, so UA's axing that channel's access.
Who would this include?

Orbitz, Expedia, other OTA, ...???
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 2:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Who would this include?

Orbitz, Expedia, other OTA, ...???
Every agency that does not have a separate NDC ticketing process with United
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Every agency that does not have a separate NDC ticketing process with United
OK, let's try another way --- who has a NDC ticketing process with United?

Looking to determine who may no longer offer BE (if this will prevent uninformed purchase)

Also if other carriers continue to offer BE how will that impact UA?

But first what channels are in and what are out?

And eventually we will get to Goggle Flights.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 4:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
OK, let's try another way --- who has a NDC ticketing process with United?

Looking to determine who may no longer offer BE (if this will prevent uninformed purchase)

Also if other carriers continue to offer BE how will that impact UA?

But first what channels are in and what are out?

And eventually we will get to Goggle Flights.
I can’t really answer that accurately because different agencies will have setup their own NDC process with United. The AA NDC process was a terrible mess and Travelport/Apollo is still working out their implementation plan, I can’t imagine United will be easier. Our agency is still sorting out the AA mess, but none of my clients book BE anyway so it’s not on our list to fix.

I don’t use Sabre but they may have their own implementation process already setup so any agency using Sabre might have a way to display and sell NDC fares. I know Amex uses Sabre and recently sold me a United BE fare (priced manually not online) by an agent who did not disclose it was BE and I had to cancel the ticket after discovering what she did when I logged into United.com
SamirD likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.