Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...Now cancellable for a fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2016, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If purchased on united.com you will have to accept a warning about choosing Basic Economy and there will be orange "Basic Economy" highlights everywhere during the booking process.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No free seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system. Flyers (including elite) have the option to purchase regular economy and preferred economy (white seats with black triangle on seat map) seats after ticket purchase. E+ seats are not available for purchase until check-in. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period including SDC (occasionally 1K's have successfully used Same Day Standby and received a confirmed seat without penalty)
  • Carry on limited to one personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G, or traveling on an international BE product
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers are not eligible for premium cabin upgrades either via CPU, mileage upgrade award or PlusPoints
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G, or traveling on an international BE product
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carry-on if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Normal PQPs / RDMs based on fare and elite multipliers
  • No PQFs
  • Flight(s) do count towards the 4 flight minimum for UA-operated
  • Full Lifetime mileage
  • Domestic Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'. International BE can be in any class.
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass
  • Canceling a basic economy ticket will receive a flight credit for the price of the ticket, minus a fee. For domestic flights, the fee is $49.50 for one-way tickets and $99 for roundtrip tickets. For international flights, the fee is $99.50 for one-way tickets and $199 for roundtrip tickets
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

To avoid domestic BE fares ITA Matrix ~bc=N . Ignoring them on international flights is much trickier because they do not have a consistent pattern in the fare basis; it appears to change by market / region. (That said, as UA is lifting BE from legacy GDS systems, it may result in them disappearing from ITA Matrix anyway).

Google Flights -- select 1 Carry-on bag

NO UNUSED TICKET MAY BE USED TOWARD THE PURCHASE
OF A BASIC ECONOMY TICKET.
-------
NO RESIDUAL VALUE MAY BE USED TOWARD THE PURCHASE
OF A BASIC ECONOMY TICKET.

How is this different from buying up BE to regular economy?

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...Now cancellable for a fee

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2023, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Except it isn't. There is nothing a phone agent can do about the bag fee waiver, it is all about what the "computer" says. Unless you have experience getting this changed.
Thank you both. I ended up calling and the agent told me that I won't be seeing the waiver in the website or the app, but that the information is correct. My Mileageplus card was used and that I would be seeing the waiver at the airport (apparently she was seeing it in the system as well).

ODD. If I try to book again it will prompt the two free bags under Review Itinerary. AGAIN. Oh well, I hope I don't end up paying 300 at the airport.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TMetanova
ODD. If I try to book again it will prompt the two free bags under Review Itinerary. AGAIN. Oh well, I hope I don't end up paying 300 at the airport.
Take a screenshot, if you haven't already. If you do get charged, you'll have no problem getting a refund.

Note that you mention being a "United Credit Card Holder." Not all United cards have the same benefit -- some only allow the fist bag free, and others allow the first two bags free. Whatever your card benefits are, though, you should be able to get because you used the card to purchase the ticket.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Is there always an option to upgrade a Basic Economy (BE) fare to regular Economy so one can cancel and get future flight credit w/o the fee? I've bought BE in the past a few times for short flights that I knew I was going to take. Never done a FFC with BE. Thanks
Old Nov 13, 2023, 5:54 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
If pax A is UA gold on regular economy (group 1) and pax B has no status on basic economy, can pax B bring a carry-on while boarding with pax A in group 1?
Old Nov 13, 2023, 9:26 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
That is officially a no (rules say that the companion must be on the same PNR, which would be impossible in your example), but in practice would probably be up to the gate agent. Pax B's boarding pass will say BASIC ECONOMY NO CARRY ON
SPN Lifer and ContinentalFan like this.
Old Nov 19, 2023, 1:21 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by diburning
That is officially a no (rules say that the companion must be on the same PNR, which would be impossible in your example), but in practice would probably be up to the gate agent. Pax B's boarding pass will say BASIC ECONOMY NO CARRY ON
GA wouldn’t let us bring it on, so we just checked 2 bags under my name.
Old Nov 19, 2023, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by getagb
If pax A is UA gold on regular economy (group 1) and pax B has no status on basic economy, can pax B bring a carry-on while boarding with pax A in group 1?
UA*G can check bags for free, so there is always that option. Whether the GA will blink when asking to board w/ Gold at group 1 ... YMMV.
Old Nov 21, 2023, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I just want to double-check with you guys if I'll be able to do an SDC in a BE international fare? Say SCL-IAH or DEN-YVR?
Old Nov 21, 2023, 11:24 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lsquare
I just want to double-check with you guys if I'll be able to do an SDC in a BE international fare? Say SCL-IAH or DEN-YVR?
No, not eligble. A core premise of BE is not changeable for free. (for a long time it was not changeable at all)

If you’re flying on a Basic Economy ticket, you can’t change your flight unless you upgrade to Economy or a premium cabin first.
You may be able to do standby --no routing changes
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 21, 2023 at 11:30 am Reason: standby
Old Nov 29, 2023, 9:52 pm

Programs: DL PM, WN A-List
Originally Posted by LAX
Thanks so much for your DP on the bolded. I had asked weeks ago here if *G benefits are still being extended to non-status companions on the same PNR. No response until now. I am glad to know that at least it does for 1 pax. I would be tempted to book BE now except that I prefer to pick my seats. Did you by chance get E+ assigned (I know it's not a benefit of *G)?

LAX
Any recent experiences with companions of *G? booking for 4 and I'm holding TK status right now. Only 3 K seats left otherwise $15 more.. I could do basic for myself to save $30 but realized I could do basic for everyone and save $100+ if they can get the bags too
Old Nov 29, 2023, 11:15 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by BusinessElite25
Any recent experiences with companions of *G? booking for 4 and I'm holding TK status right now. Only 3 K seats left otherwise $15 more.. I could do basic for myself to save $30 but realized I could do basic for everyone and save $100+ if they can get the bags too
I didn't book BE back in August, but my companions (more than 1) on the same PNR did receive a free checked bag.

LAX
BusinessElite25 likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by BusinessElite25
Is continuous pricing not kicking in for your route? If it is, united should be offering 4 seats at "K" class, but the fare will be somewhere between K and L.

Don't see any recent experiences about BE + nonUA *G + multiple passengers on PNR @BAFlyer14 did you find out?

Star Alliance Gold (*G) benefits on United

Last edited by paperwastage; Nov 30, 2023 at 4:39 am
Old Dec 14, 2023, 5:41 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold
Hi all! Wanted to ask about Basic Economy baggage allowance on a Domestic ticket w/ United Silver (or *A Gold via Singapore Airlines, if that changes anything).

I know I get 1 free checked bag as Silver (or is it 2?), and I've been allowed to carry on bags in the past. But I can't remember whether I'm guaranteed to get both
Old Dec 14, 2023, 5:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 18wheeler_vanrekt
Hi all! Wanted to ask about Basic Economy baggage allowance on a Domestic ticket w/ United Silver (or *A Gold via Singapore Airlines, if that changes anything).

I know I get 1 free checked bag as Silver (or is it 2?), and I've been allowed to carry on bags in the past. But I can't remember whether I'm guaranteed to get both
As an UA elite, (Silver) -- you get a free checked bag domestically and BG2 (even on a BE ticket) which allows a carryon bag & personal item
As BE, UA will assign your seat.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 5:54 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold
Thanks! So grand total is: 1 checked bag, 1 carry-on bag, 1 personal item for me. (And... personal item only for my two traveling companions...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.