Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 22, 19, 12:42 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: DenverBrian
Wiki Link
Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you donít purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to one personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

To aviod domestic BE fares
ITA Matrix ~bc=N

Google Flights -- select 1 Carry-on bag
related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 4, 18, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by essexnyc View Post
Lesson learned on basic economy that is not disclosed at all by United - you cannot check in online and have to go to a kiosk plus have an agent manually check you in. To me, this almost totally defeats the purpose. I bought tickets for a day trip, knowing that we would have no luggage (or even a carry-on), but had to arrive early at the airport both ways, evidently so that the check-in agent could confirm that we had no carry-ons. The gate agent could have easily done (and did) the same screening and saved us 30 minutes each way. Not worthwhile for me until (or if) this is addressed.
It's been reported you can complete online check-in with Basic Economy tickets by saying you have a bag to check and then just never actually checking one.

edit: actually that is clearly stated in the text mduell quoted.
Old Dec 4, 18, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, AC, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by essexnyc View Post
Lesson learned on basic economy that is not disclosed at all by United - you cannot check in online and have to go to a kiosk plus have an agent manually check you in. To me, this almost totally defeats the purpose. I bought tickets for a day trip, knowing that we would have no luggage (or even a carry-on), but had to arrive early at the airport both ways, evidently so that the check-in agent could confirm that we had no carry-ons. The gate agent could have easily done (and did) the same screening and saved us 30 minutes each way. Not worthwhile for me until (or if) this is addressed.
UA charges an additional fee in addition to the checked bag fee for BE pax who bring a bag to the gate that needs to be checked (i.e. a full-size carry on). Presumably, the reason they ensure everyone who isn't checking a bag has to go to the check in desk is because for everyone like you, there are probably ten times or more as many who didn't bother to read the rules, then go to the gate with said bag that now costs double the cost to check. UA is protecting itself from a huge PR fiasco that would inevitably result of a media outlet printing this sob story, while leaving out the fact the customer was warned of this cost when booking, and chose to either not bother to read it or who did read it but forgot or purposely ignored it, as they just wanted to pay the lowest fare without regard to the rules of said fare.
jsloan and zeer0 like this.
Old Dec 4, 18, 11:15 pm

For most domestic airports, United lets passengers without bags check in at the kiosk up to 30 minutes before the flight, so how early does one really need to be at the airport?
Old Dec 4, 18, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by freeflyer View Post
For most domestic airports, United lets passengers without bags check in at the kiosk up to 30 minutes before the flight, so how early does one really need to be at the airport?
It depends upon the airport, and how long the line for the kiosks might be.

Also, a BE customer doesn't merely need to use the kiosk; an employee actually has to come over and verify there's no carry-on. It can be quite a wait for an actual employee at some airports.
Old Dec 5, 18, 8:35 am

N.B.: You do not need to see a physical agent if you have the MP CC or have status -- you can check in on the app as normal. Only non-status, non-CC pax.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Dec 11, 18, 7:16 am

Programs: UA, AE
Basic Economy TATL appears to give half PQM.

Last edited by rawilliam; Dec 11, 18 at 7:18 am Reason: delete pic convervion
Old Dec 11, 18, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by dinoscool3 View Post
I wonder if this means UA will be using N for TATL basic Y?
No; TATL BE will use multiple fare classes and will be identified by fares ending in -LGT.

Note: Contrary to what I said yesterday, it does appear that domestic BE will now earn PQD and 50% PQM.
Old Dec 11, 18, 7:42 am

Note: As of today, it appears that BE purchases will earn 100% PQD and 50% PQM. This is in conjunction with the re-branding of TATL "Light" fares as "Basic Economy," but it seems to apply to domestic BE also. "Basic Economy" now appears as a category in the PQM earnings table, and if you look at search results for a BE fare, you'll now see non-zero values for PQM and PQD.

TATL Basic Economy does not have an impact on boarding group and does not come with a carry-on restriction. Domestic Basic Economy still has both.
Old Dec 11, 18, 7:54 am
Moderator: United MileagePlus

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past. (IAH, DEN, YKF)
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Moderator Edit - please use this thread to discuss issues pertaining to general UA Basic Economy issue / questions.

For specific issues / questions related to the TATL market (transatlantic), please see: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...-100-pqds.html
Old Dec 11, 18, 8:33 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Note: As of today, it appears that BE purchases will earn 100% PQD and 50% PQM. This is in conjunction with the re-branding of TATL "Light" fares as "Basic Economy," but it seems to apply to domestic BE also. "Basic Economy" now appears as a category in the PQM earnings table, and if you look at search results for a BE fare, you'll now see non-zero values for PQM and PQD.

TATL Basic Economy does not have an impact on boarding group and does not come with a carry-on restriction. Domestic Basic Economy still has both.
The next logical question is whether or not Domestic BE fliers now earn lifetime miles as well.
Old Dec 12, 18, 9:19 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Plat
Clarification on PQS & Basic Economy

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere. Search revealed nothing I could use to answer this question definitively.

Iím 56 segments into my year with UA and currently Premier Gold. By way of some mistakes from admin assistance, I have 6 segments between now and the end of the year that were booked as Basic Economy.

It is my understanding from a lot of information posted that tickets booked as Basic Economy do not earn PQS. However, when I look at the reservation and accrual information for the flights on the UA app, I see an accrual of 2.5 PQS.

Is this an accurate forecast of the PQS value as it applies to re-qualifying for Premier Gold, or is this an error?

Iím trying to sort this out with certainty so I can plan a final flight or, if necessary, a segment run.

If it matters, I also am a UA MP credit card customer.

Last edited by bdegroodt; Dec 12, 18 at 9:22 am Reason: Error on ticket type
Old Dec 12, 18, 9:26 am

Footnote in Premier Qualifications page: "Effective for travel on or after December 11, 2018: All Basic Economy tickets will earn 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments. Basic Economy tickets may be booked in various fare classes."

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...r/qualify.html
Old Dec 12, 18, 9:45 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
Footnote in Premier Qualifications page: "Effective for travel on or after December 11, 2018: All Basic Economy tickets will earn 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments. Basic Economy tickets may be booked in various fare classes."

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...r/qualify.html
That explains it. Thank you!
Old Dec 13, 18, 11:23 am

United Basic Economy Bag & CC

I recently purchased a BE ticket with my Mileage Plus Explorer CC. It is my understanding that carry on bags are free and a checked bag is free when purchased with a CC.

On the United website it states that when checking in with a BE ticket that if you are not checking a bag you have to check in with an agent and not online.

Is that correct even if the ticket was purchased with the MileagePlus CC?

I can gladly say I am checking a bag and then not check one to get a boarding pass, but that doesnt make all that much sense.
Old Dec 13, 18, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by pauldavid77 View Post
Is that correct even if the ticket was purchased with the MileagePlus CC?
No. You'll be able to check in online like normal.

Search this Thread