Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...Now cancellable for a fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2016, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If purchased on united.com you will have to accept a warning about choosing Basic Economy and there will be orange "Basic Economy" highlights everywhere during the booking process.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No free seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system. Flyers (including elite) have the option to purchase regular economy and preferred economy (white seats with black triangle on seat map) seats after ticket purchase. E+ seats are not available for purchase until check-in. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period including SDC (occasionally 1K's have successfully used Same Day Standby and received a confirmed seat without penalty)
  • Carry on limited to one personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G, or traveling on an international BE product
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers are not eligible for premium cabin upgrades either via CPU, mileage upgrade award or PlusPoints
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G, or traveling on an international BE product
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carry-on if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Normal PQPs / RDMs based on fare and elite multipliers
  • No PQFs
  • Flight(s) do count towards the 4 flight minimum for UA-operated
  • Full Lifetime mileage
  • Domestic Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'. International BE can be in any class.
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass
  • Canceling a basic economy ticket will receive a flight credit for the price of the ticket, minus a fee. For domestic flights, the fee is $49.50 for one-way tickets and $99 for roundtrip tickets. For international flights, the fee is $99.50 for one-way tickets and $199 for roundtrip tickets
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

To avoid domestic BE fares ITA Matrix ~bc=N . Ignoring them on international flights is much trickier because they do not have a consistent pattern in the fare basis; it appears to change by market / region. (That said, as UA is lifting BE from legacy GDS systems, it may result in them disappearing from ITA Matrix anyway).

Google Flights -- select 1 Carry-on bag

NO UNUSED TICKET MAY BE USED TOWARD THE PURCHASE
OF A BASIC ECONOMY TICKET.
-------
NO RESIDUAL VALUE MAY BE USED TOWARD THE PURCHASE
OF A BASIC ECONOMY TICKET.

How is this different from buying up BE to regular economy?

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...Now cancellable for a fee

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2023, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by global_b
I didn't see this question, so sorry if it's been asked and answered.

I booked tickets for my family of 5 in basic economy from Newark to Portugal. I booked last August and PAID the seat selection fee for the five of us to sit together (before the free family seating stuff). Seat fee + basic economy was still quite a bit cheaper than regular economy so it made sense to pay.

When we took the flights just last month (April), our seats were changed pretty dramatically from what we booked in both directions. However, we were still seated together. Some of that was my doing - after check-in, I looked a few times until finally a seat nearby came open so that I could get us all 5 together. In the end, it worked out. However, I'm wondering if I'm due the seat selection fee back from United.

Customer care is saying NO - we were seated in the cabin that we booked. Here's the exact language from customer care:

"Based on the information provided, we've verified that you were seated in the Economy seat section that you paid for. There's no refund to provide to you. If by chance you submitted the wrong ticket number, please let us know so we can review it further. You can resubmit here and we'll be happy to review your request further."

I'm not sure I understand what paying for a seat assignment gave us here given that we did NOT select a premium seat, just a regular seat where all 5 of us would be together.

And for clarity, I'm SQ Gold. Everyone else is dirt in either SQ or UA.

Thx!
It's probably an edge case, but the response makes sense within their policy UA's policy is seat assignments aren't guaranteed, even if paid for, but rather the specific section of seat is what you are paying for, and they will only refund if you aren't in an equivalent or better seat than the section you paid for. IE E+ as long as you're in E+, preferred as long as you're preferred, and in case of basic economy advanced seat selection, as long as you are in a seat designated for advanced purchased (all of the remaining non-preferred and E+ seats are tagged as such). So from their perspective you paid for an "advanced" seat and ended up in a seat tagged as being equivalent to an "advanced" seat, therefore no refund due.

Not purchasing basic economy enough (at all), I'm not sure how their functionality works with regards to changing seats after check in. Is anyone on BE allowed to switch to a different seat or only those who paid for advanced seat purchases? If the latter then I'd say you still got what you paid for. If the former, then you probably have an argument, though it is slightly weakened by the fact you got everyone together still (which is ultimately what your goal was for paying, no?). If everyone had ended up split up and remained that way, then you probably would have had a very easy time getting the advanced seat fees refunded. Given all the other factors to consider in your case though it is going to be a personal preference how much time you're willing to expend.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 9, 2023, 8:03 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Plat, UA status-less after 15 years
Searched this long thread, but can't find a complete answer as most discussion is about international Basic Economy. First time with zero status in 25 years, so regular MP now, also, first time trying Basic Economy. Just booked Domestic Basic Economy (short flight, EWR/PBI), and also have the UA Quest card. The language is super convoluted about carry on and checked bags, and I've no idea what is accurate or not and what to expect. The reservation system, the UA warning email, and the credit card page are somewhat conflicting. And online reports vary wildly about what actually happens at the airport

The FAQ and the reservation say that I (primary UA Quest cardholder) CAN take a carry on bag on the flight, but the UA warning email says I cannot. The Quest card page says I also can check 2 bags for no cost. I also believe I still get boarding group 2 because I have the Quest card, but also super convoluted with lots of asterisks and footnotes and exceptions

Can any one tell me what their actual experience was? Can you check in online or the app. How do you check bags. How do you carry on, and do you actually get Group 2

Thanks in advance
Old May 9, 2023, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wingnuthead
Searched this long thread, but can't find a complete answer as most discussion is about international Basic Economy. First time with zero status in 25 years, so regular MP now, also, first time trying Basic Economy. Just booked Domestic Basic Economy (short flight, EWR/PBI), and also have the UA Quest card. The language is super convoluted about carry on and checked bags, and I've no idea what is accurate or not and what to expect. The reservation system, the UA warning email, and the credit card page are somewhat conflicting. And online reports vary wildly about what actually happens at the airport

The FAQ and the reservation say that I (primary UA Quest cardholder) CAN take a carry on bag on the flight, but the UA warning email says I cannot. The Quest card page says I also can check 2 bags for no cost. I also believe I still get boarding group 2 because I have the Quest card, but also super convoluted with lots of asterisks and footnotes and exceptions

Can any one tell me what their actual experience was? Can you check in online or the app. How do you check bags. How do you carry on, and do you actually get Group 2

Thanks in advance
I can't speak from my personal experience, but I can tell you what I've observed from others in the airport and in this thread:

1 - BE has no effect on your checked luggage allowance from a credit card (or status). You'll get your two free checked bags as a Quest cardmember.
2 - Domestic carry-on limits are enforced by boarding group: BG5 cannot bring one on board.
3 - The Quest card grants boarding group 2, so the carry-on restriction does not apply.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 26, 2023, 3:59 pm

Programs: LH SEN, UA 1K, A3*G, AR Platino, BA Gold
is there still a domestic/regional within the americas market where United does not sell Basic economy fares, where low fares are not available?
Old May 26, 2023, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by 330
is there still a domestic/regional within the americas market where United does not sell Basic economy fares, where low fares are not available?
Probably not. But, if you want to share which route(s), we can provide what we know (or don't know).

David
Old May 27, 2023, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 330
Yes, there are quite a few markets where BE is not sold.

BE and low fares have little to do with one another, though.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 27, 2023, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 330
Don't know about domestic - I suspect most, if not all, do have them. I know there were definitely some short-haul international markets, ie, Canada, where it wasn't available until recently, but I don't know if those all have them now or not. For example, at one point, I don't think SFO-YYZ sold BE fares on United (they may now - can't remember), but SJC-YYZ and SFO-YVR did.

As for domestic, there are definitely flights/markets where BE isn't available, particularly closer in to travel date. That doesn't mean the market doesn't have them at all, but the BE fare rules might not match selected flight. So for example, SFO-ORD does have BE available, but perhaps the only filed BE fares at whatever given time require a 7day advance purchase, or a 14 day advance purchase, or a return at least 3 days after departure, or a mix, or whatever...In that case, if the flights you are searching for don't meet the rules for the fare, they wouldn't show up.
Old May 27, 2023, 1:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 330
I don't see them for Central America or South America in a few spot checks. Maybe some markets, but definitely no for others.
Old May 28, 2023, 7:56 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Not sure if covered by this thread, but two recent experiences on Basic Economy tix as a 1K:

1. Ticket 1 was automatically assigned into a middle seat. During OCLI, could change to any other non-preferred seat without a fee.
2. Ticket 2 was booked LAX-DEN. Was able to select a standby option via the app (no SDC confirmed seats showing, despite inventory - by design I think). Standby confirmed almost immediately, and oddly, all BE restrictions were removed after this cleared. Added to the upgrade list, and was seated in First. Not complaining!
SPN Lifer and kalo93406 like this.
Old Jun 10, 2023, 10:05 am

I normally book basic economy domestic and I ya hit or miss. Once seats get assigned I always call in to have them move us together but that also depends on availability. We have a 3 and 1 year old so it’s pretty frustrating when they do seat us separately
Old Jun 10, 2023, 10:21 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by chriis219
I normally book basic economy domestic and I ya hit or miss. Once seats get assigned I always call in to have them move us together but that also depends on availability. We have a 3 and 1 year old so it’s pretty frustrating when they do seat us separately
UA's new policy of United Makes It Easier for Families to Sit Together will proactive have each child seated with an adult.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All basic economy fares still have fare basis that ends in N or LGT, is that right?

edit: The question is for domestic and TATL; I know there's the funny half-basic TPAC thing going on, but not focused there.
Old Jun 16, 2023, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Domestic fares have a B in seventh position, usually but not always -BN. So probably? I have seen -BS and -BQ.

But if you're looking at a specific fare you suspect might be BE and doesn't have the right suffix, I wouldn't be betting my life on it
Old Jun 16, 2023, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fumje
All basic economy fares still have fare basis that ends in N or LGT, is that right?

edit: The question is for domestic and TATL; I know there's the funny half-basic TPAC thing going on, but not focused there.
No. There are TATL fares that do not match this pattern. Someone was asking recently about ATH-WAS. On that route, there's a basic economy fare TMPMB8BQ and a corresponding economy fare TNCB8. Now, I haven't seen any examples in the other direction, so ex-US might still follow that pattern, but personally I'd be hesitant to assume anything from the fare basis at this point.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2023, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
Domestic fares have a B in seventh position, usually but not always -BN. So probably? I have seen -BS and -BQ.

But if you're looking at a specific fare you suspect might be BE and doesn't have the right suffix, I wouldn't be betting my life on it
Originally Posted by jsloan
No. There are TATL fares that do not match this pattern. Someone was asking recently about ATH-WAS. On that route, there's a basic economy fare TMPMB8BQ and a corresponding economy fare TNCB8. Now, I haven't seen any examples in the other direction, so ex-US might still follow that pattern, but personally I'd be hesitant to assume anything from the fare basis at this point.
Ah, thanks for the confirmation — no quick definitive check, have to look up the fare.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.