Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 22, 19, 12:42 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: DenverBrian
Wiki Link
Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you donít purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to one personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

To aviod domestic BE fares
ITA Matrix ~bc=N

Google Flights -- select 1 Carry-on bag
related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 27, 18, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by awesome75 View Post
Hello
I Just booked Domestic Basic Economy ticket for Me (Primary Chase explorer card holder) and Family. What kind of benefit i get from Baggage? Do i get to check in free Baggage? Or Do i get to take carry on Free?

Thanks in Advance
Just so you don't get tripped up, to get the free checked bag you have to have purchased the ticket with the Explorer card. If you purchase with another card you don't get this.

To get the Boarding Group 2 (and full-size carry-on), it doesn't matter what card you used, as long as you are a cardholder.

I can confirm that in practice your companions on the same reservation get BG2 and can bring a full-size carry-on plus personal item.
Old Jul 28, 18, 9:28 am

With Basic Economy Ticket and Family with Minor traveling? Do United assigned seats of all family member together?
Old Jul 28, 18, 10:35 am

With Basic Economy Ticket and Family with Minor traveling? Do United assigned seats of all family member together?
No.
Old Jul 28, 18, 10:57 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond; United 1K (domestic). Hertz Presidents Circle
You're virtually guaranteed (unless you happen to have a very lightly loaded aircraft and get lucky) to have no members of your party seated together. This is especially true since BE seats are only assigned at check-in, and by that point it's not uncommon (at least on my flights...) for only middle seats randomly scattered throughout the aircraft to be available.

It's one of the warnings United gives you before you buy a Basic Economy ticket -- paraphrasing: "if sitting next to other people in your party is important, this is not the right choice for you".
Old Jul 29, 18, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
American's just announced a change to their BE carry-on policy effective Sept 5th. Remains to seen if UA will match AA's (and Delta's) more generous policy. I don't think UA can stick with their policy for much longer: https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ons/840313002/
Saw this as well. UA will match hopefully. They all like to follow each other off various cliffs.

Other than no lifetime BIS miles for BE, this was the major negative.
Old Jul 29, 18, 6:32 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by CApreppie View Post
Uh, no. Everyone else is paying more. And, depending on the flight (e.g t.p.s./p.t.s.), they'll get fed in E+ and the benefits that a MP elite would get.

David
zeer0 likes this.
Old Jul 29, 18, 6:34 pm

Nope! E+ does NOT get meals.
Old Jul 29, 18, 6:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by CApreppie View Post
The biggest negative of these fares IMO is that the ticket is neither changeable (including no SDC) nor upgradeable.

No advance seat assignments is the other big downside.
Old Jul 29, 18, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by Kensterfly View Post
Nope! E+ does NOT get meals.
That was a reference to the premium transcontinental flights, where E+ does, in fact, get a meal.
Old Jul 29, 18, 9:21 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), HHonors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, TrueBlue, SkyPesos
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
No advance seat assignments is the other big downside.
This is actually a BIG benefit.
Passengers who are not UA elites have a great shot at getting free E+ when checking in with BE fares. These same passengers would never get E+ free if selecting seats in advance.
Old Jul 29, 18, 9:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by zeer0 View Post
This is actually a BIG benefit.
Anyone can accomplish the same on any fare by simply not selecting a seat in advance. And there's an equally good chance it will result in middle E- assignment.

And I'm sure many, particularly families, would prefer the certainty of advance seat assignments, even if it means no E+.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jul 30, 18, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
You will get your free check bags and the full size carry on (theoretically companions are not eligible but believe they will not be prevented).
You will also be boarding group 2.
I find this confusing. I just bought my first BE ticket with a companion using the United credit card.

It is very clear that we both get free checked bags, but it is incredibly unclear about whether we both get a carry on. I dont understand the ambiguity.
Old Jul 30, 18, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Anyone can accomplish the same on any fare by simply not selecting a seat in advance. And there's an equally good chance it will result in middle E- assignment.

And I'm sure many, particularly families, would prefer the certainty of advance seat assignments, even if it means no E+.
Tickets bought on united's website (and eligible for seat assignment) automatically make an assignment if none is otherwise made now. This is a change, made perhaps a little over a year (?) ago.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Jul 30, 18, 9:28 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I had a moment of panic this morning as I quickly booked 2 RT's last week while on a conference call. In my head the airfare was way too cheap (in hindsight) and my fear was Basic Economy. Turns out I'm fine, but I do wish I could permanently block these from being an option.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jul 30, 18, 9:40 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond; United 1K (domestic). Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by COSPILOT View Post
I had a moment of panic this morning as I quickly booked 2 RT's last week while on a conference call. In my head the airfare was way too cheap (in hindsight) and my fear was Basic Economy. Turns out I'm fine, but I do wish I could permanently block these from being an option.
I find it somewhere between absurd and amusing that if I'm booking a flight via the app (which I've done a grand total of once...and it was because I was in the ER getting admitted to the hospital and my wife wanted to come visit) I not only can turn off basic economy but it defaults to off.
While using the website there are a plethora of other (mostly useful) options but that is not one of them.

That said, having a fare preference of "unrestricted" fares seems to do a decent job of making the BE column not appear at all the majority of the time, but I'm still absolutely terrified that one of these days I'm going to get tricked into accidentally booking that product.

Search this Thread