Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How long / time to update status? [Crossing/changing tiers/status] What to do ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 14, 2016, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Status is updated once all the required items have posted (after flying the flights) or have been waived (such as by a credit card waiver).
Posting of PQMs/PQSs/PQDs - typically takes 2 days for UA flights (but now typically hours) and up to 5 days for partner flights.
Status will update in hours or less after this has occurred.
Flights miles from UA flights are now posting much quicker, UA is now posting their flight earnings very soon after arrival (hours, same day, ..), partner flights still take days.

Elite bonus apply based on status at flight departure -- so if the flight, when posted, takes you to a higher status -- it does not apply to that flight but rather future flights.
Higher RDM bonuses will typically start posting for flights that occur the day (may now be flights after the status earning flight if check-in updated, need examples) after the flight that pushed you over the threshold.
RPU/GPU / PlusPoints deposit will take a few more days to a week -- for more see Questions about GPU/RPU deposit

BP status should be reflected on check-ins after status has updated. If status has changed since checkin, redo check-in.
Upgrade waitlist priority update is less clear but probably relates to the above on check-ins
Generally, the old practice of removing / updating FF account on existing itins is no longer needed.

Related thread -- Just short of next status level, before my next flight will UA grant early status?

Previous thread Time to update status? [Crossing/changing tiers/status]
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2015, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Gold

after a long hiatus on status (was it 2010?) I managed to become lowly silver for 2016.. before it kicked in immediately, do I need to wait till a certain date?
Old Dec 28, 2015, 8:51 pm

Programs: 1K
It can take a couple/few days
Old Dec 28, 2015, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wolfie_cr
after a long hiatus on status (was it 2010?) I managed to become lowly silver for 2016.. before it kicked in immediately, do I need to wait till a certain date?
The status should change as soon as your flight credit posts (which, as said, may take a couple of days).
Old Dec 30, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
I just bought Premier Accelerator for my wife, of course the 1000 miles posted but not the 1000 PQM. After a couple of days I called the Premier line, and they manually credited the 1000 PQM. She went from Silver to Gold that overnight the same evening.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 11:53 am

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
"Mid-year" qualifying for higher level -- How long to get card, chits, ....

Originally Posted by gspurr
Couldn't find a thread for this so posted here. I was a few miles short of 1K for next year so I bought 1000 qualifying accelerator points (I don't think I am flying *A again this year on a paid fare) and am now over 100K. My account now says I am now 1K until Jan. 2018 but I haven't seen the RPUs or GPUs posted. When I passed 75K the two RPUs were posted right away and from what I remember from other years they were always posted right away. It has been a few days now. Should I wait or contact someone? Thanks.
Somewhat similar situation: Had been Gold for this year (defaulted there as a MM since not enuf UA flights in 2015); passed the 75k UA EQM about 6 weeks ago, got a welcome message & eventually a Plat card good thru Jan, 2018, 2 RPUs, drink chits, etc; then a couple of more flights & have hit 100k & $12k spend. Login now shows 1k & 4 RPU & 6 GPU, as expected for 1k, but no welcome message & no 1k card (so far). Is it worth contacting someone (who?) just to get the "physical" 1k card & the 1k luggage tags as long as the on-line info is correct?
Old Jul 6, 2016, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
Why would you need a physical card?
Old Jul 6, 2016, 2:16 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
It takes 6-8 weeks for the kit, since they make them in batches.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 3:07 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Agree with why do you need the physical card? I haven't carried an airline card in years when I decided I no longer needed to weigh down my bag with the big leather folio that everyone used to think was all the rage.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 3:20 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by gusd
Why, indeed. Or why not? The original query started (BTW, not by me) on the Simple Question thread & seems to have morphed into its own thread. That poster (gspurr) was wondering about receiving no acknowledgement of his status change & wondered who to contact. YMMV.

Last edited by BH62; Jul 6, 2016 at 3:29 pm
Old Jul 6, 2016, 3:21 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Because it's the only way to get the chits and the luggage tags. The chits being most important
Old Jul 6, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
MPSC would be the place to contact.

But IME they won't help very much. Still don't have my 2016 creds.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 7:14 pm

Programs: United, Turkish
In my experience on making GOLD the physical card is critical due to Lufthansa lounge dragons. The star alliance rule at the time only required a "token" which I argued was satisfied by my United letter. the rule today is more generous but LH is always a problem

Star Alliance Gold Customers travelling in any class
As a Star Alliance Gold customer, you have access to any member airline lounge that displays the Star Alliance Gold logo. You will need to present your boarding pass for a Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport. If your boarding pass does not carry the Star Alliance Gold indicator, you will need also to show your valid Star Alliance Gold card. You are entitled to a maximum of one guest. If you are a United MileagePlus Star Alliance Gold customer, you may only access the United Clubs within the U.S. when departing from that airport on an international Star Alliance flight.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 7:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by morelegroom
In my experience on making GOLD the physical card is critical due to Lufthansa lounge dragons.
OP is already Platinum and thus already has a physical card showing *G status.

Programs: 1 thousand
In my experience on making GOLD the physical card is critical due to Lufthansa lounge dragons. The star alliance rule at the time only required a "token" which I argued was satisfied by my United letter. the rule today is more generous but LH is always a problem

As a Star Alliance Gold customer, you have access to any member airline lounge that displays the Star Alliance Gold logo. You will need to present your boarding pass for a Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport. If your boarding pass does not carry the Star Alliance Gold indicator, you will need also to show your valid Star Alliance Gold card. You are entitled to a maximum of one guest. If you are a United MileagePlus Star Alliance Gold customer, you may only access the United Clubs within the U.S. when departing from that airport on an international Star Alliance flight.
Very much this.

I've been told off for not having my *G card at the LHR LH lounge, and was let in as a "one time exception". Since then I've carried it, and have noticed that LX and LH lounges always take a good look at the card.

LHR fast-track transfer security has asked me for my card once, but they usually don't.

Interestingly the time I didn't have my card, the LH lounge asked me what exact MP level I was.

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P

+1 - while not impossible to gain access - a physical card is really a necessity for LH lounge access.... They always ask for mine....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.