Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How long / time to update status? [Crossing/changing tiers/status] What to do ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 14, 2016, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Status is updated once all the required items have posted (after flying the flights) or have been waived (such as by a credit card waiver).
Posting of PQMs/PQSs/PQDs - typically takes 2 days for UA flights (but now typically hours) and up to 5 days for partner flights.
Status will update in hours or less after this has occurred.
Flights miles from UA flights are now posting much quicker, UA is now posting their flight earnings very soon after arrival (hours, same day, ..), partner flights still take days.

Elite bonus apply based on status at flight departure -- so if the flight, when posted, takes you to a higher status -- it does not apply to that flight but rather future flights.
Higher RDM bonuses will typically start posting for flights that occur the day (may now be flights after the status earning flight if check-in updated, need examples) after the flight that pushed you over the threshold.
RPU/GPU / PlusPoints deposit will take a few more days to a week -- for more see Questions about GPU/RPU deposit

BP status should be reflected on check-ins after status has updated. If status has changed since checkin, redo check-in.
Upgrade waitlist priority update is less clear but probably relates to the above on check-ins
Generally, the old practice of removing / updating FF account on existing itins is no longer needed.

Related thread -- Just short of next status level, before my next flight will UA grant early status?

Previous thread Time to update status? [Crossing/changing tiers/status]
Print Wikipost

How long / time to update status? [Crossing/changing tiers/status] What to do ?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2016, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Ron201
Hi, I am currently Premier Silver, and have already met the PQM to reach Gold. However, I need my next flight to get to go over $6000. I am at about $5000, and my next flight fare is about $1400, so I will reach PQD.

My question is, on what day does UA recognize the $1400, and thus I would reach Gold on that date?

I am hoping it is at check-in, and I will get immediate *G lounge access on this International flight.

Thanks!
You'll get Gold status within a day or so after the segment crossing you over $6k PQDs posts to your account. PQDs post at the same time with the segments and miles to your account.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Hi, I am currently Premier Silver, and have already met the PQM to reach Gold. However, I need my next flight to get to go over $6000. I am at about $5000, and my next flight fare is about $1400, so I will reach PQD.

My question is, on what day does UA recognize the $1400, and thus I would reach Gold on that date?

I am hoping it is at check-in, and I will get immediate *G lounge access on this International flight.

Thanks!
You don't get status until the hurdle PQMs/PQDs post to your account. You've given UA dollars, but they don't turn transform into PQDs until after the flight.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Nov 20, 2016 at 2:37 pm
Old Nov 20, 2016, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA GS/MM, MR PPE/LTG, ‎TSA Pre✓, NEXUS, APEC BTC, UKBF RT, CLEAR, DXB E-GATE
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
You don't get status until the hurdle PQMs/PQDs post to your account. You've given UA dollars, but they don't turn transform into PQDs until after the flight.
Had this happen this year on a TransCon...status didn't update till after the flight. Typically, it takes 3 business days after your flight for things to post/update.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA MP Silver
Thanks all for the info. If the approx $1600 fare is split evenly, I guess this means that $800 PQDs might post in 2-3 days after departing, and the other $800 might post on the return flight 2-3 days after that. In which case, I won't make Gold until I complete the round trip (starting at $5k and need to get above $6k)
Old Nov 20, 2016, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Thanks all for the info. If the approx $1600 fare is split evenly, I guess this means that $800 PQDs might post in 2-3 days after departing, and the other $800 might post on the return flight 2-3 days after that. In which case, I won't make Gold until I complete the round trip (starting at $5k and need to get above $6k)
Correct, PQDs and PQMs are allocated to each segment. The PQDs may not necessarily be spilt evenly between the segments.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 8:13 am
Original Member

How do I redo checkin? I just bumped up a notch in premier status, I have a flight in about 3 hours, I'm already checked in, and the status difference might well be the deciding factor for whether I get upgraded or not.

The wiki says to redo checkin, but the old option to undo checkin isn't there anymore. And if I just go through the normal checkin process (on the web page or the app), it tells me I'm already checked in, and it doesn't seem to update my status (the boarding pass still shows my old status level).

Any suggestions?
Old Jan 5, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by roberton
How do I redo checkin? I just bumped up a notch in premier status, I have a flight in about 3 hours, I'm already checked in, and the status difference might well be the deciding factor for whether I get upgraded or not.

The wiki says to redo checkin, but the old option to undo checkin isn't there anymore. And if I just go through the normal checkin process (on the web page or the app), it tells me I'm already checked in, and it doesn't seem to update my status (the boarding pass still shows my old status level).

Any suggestions?
If you open the reservation on the website (not via checkin process), it should give you the option to undo check-in.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 8:40 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by villox
If you open the reservation on the website (not via checkin process), it should give you the option to undo check-in.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm still not seeing that option there.

It turns out that it doesn't matter, though: my upgrade just cleared (into the last available seat in first).
Old Jan 5, 2017, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Did you go from Gold to Platinum? The Boarding Group number might've given you a clue. But now that you're in F, the mobile BP will show what status you are considered all the way on the bottom of the screen.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 4:15 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by aacharya
Did you go from Gold to Platinum? The Boarding Group number might've given you a clue. But now that you're in F, the mobile BP will show what status you are considered all the way on the bottom of the screen.
Nope, Silver to Gold. The necessary 2016 PQMs (delayed because I needed ORC for a late December flight to hit the cutoff) posted sometime around midday yesterday, the status updated to Gold online this morning, and the upgrade cleared late in the morning. But the mobile BP still shows Silver, even after updating it to reflect my new seat assignment in F. Kind of amazing that I got upgraded out of DCA as a Silver, but that looks like what happened.
Old May 26, 2018, 1:56 am

Programs: UA 1K; LY Gold; DL Gold; BA Bronze
Question How long for status to be updated

Hello all,

After a few years of flying solely with LY and oneworld airlines I had a bunch of *A flights this year.
I have a flight booked in June which will be the 4th segment with UA this year. This flight is supposed to bump me to gold status, as I already have enough PQM for the status.

I was wondering, how long does it usually take for a UA flight to credit, and for the status to be updated? Also, when the status is changed, does it reflect automatically in the booking or do I have to do something?
The reason I am asking is that I have another UA flight two days later and was wondering whether I will already get the benefits of my newly acquired status (this is an E145 flight so no upgrades, I mostly care about free luggage, economy plus, etc).

Thanks!
Old May 26, 2018, 2:00 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gordo6
... I was wondering, how long does it usually take for a UA flight to credit, and for the status to be updated? Also, when the status is changed, does it reflect automatically in the booking or do I have to do something? ....
Generally it takes a full 2 days or a flight to post. Then it can take 0 to 2 days for you updated status to be reflected.

Improved status should be captured when you check-in, if status changes afterward, believe you will need to undo check-in and re-check-in.
Old May 26, 2018, 2:05 am

Programs: UA 1K; LY Gold; DL Gold; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Generally it takes a full 2 days or a flight to post. Then it can take 0 to 2 days for you updated status to be reflected.

Improved status should be captured when you check-in, if status changes afterward, believe you will need to undo check-in and re-check-in.
So basically a very small chance for the status to be updated in time.
Based on your advice, is there any reason why I shouldn't just check-in as late as possible (given that I have already selected seats)?
Old May 26, 2018, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by gordo6
So basically a very small chance for the status to be updated in time.
Based on your advice, is there any reason why I shouldn't just check-in as late as possible (given that I have already selected seats)?
agreed. However, 2 days is pretty much zero chance that status will update. 2 days for the flight to post ... then additional time. If the flight has posted and your stats show > 50k PQM, segments and $$$ ... you MIGHT find someone waiving bag fees, but this is very tough to do ... the computer will say 'no'. Best change is that once the flight has posted to call UA and see if they can annotate the PNR or call MPSC, explain the situation and see if they can push the status through.
Old May 26, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: AA PLT; UA PLT
A few years ago, I waited about a month for some South African miles to post, which gave me Silver. While waiting, I had a United flight where I had to pay a baggage fee. After the SAA miles posted, I emailed Customer Service and asked if there was any way they could credit me the baggage fee from the United flight, since I should have been a Silver except for the posting delay. They did!
ContinentalFan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.