Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How long / time to update status? [Crossing/changing tiers/status] What to do ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 14, 2016, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Status is updated once all the required items have posted (after flying the flights) or have been waived (such as by a credit card waiver).
Posting of PQMs/PQSs/PQDs - typically takes 2 days for UA flights (but now typically hours) and up to 5 days for partner flights.
Status will update in hours or less after this has occurred.
Flights miles from UA flights are now posting much quicker, UA is now posting their flight earnings very soon after arrival (hours, same day, ..), partner flights still take days.

Elite bonus apply based on status at flight departure -- so if the flight, when posted, takes you to a higher status -- it does not apply to that flight but rather future flights.
Higher RDM bonuses will typically start posting for flights that occur the day (may now be flights after the status earning flight if check-in updated, need examples) after the flight that pushed you over the threshold.
RPU/GPU / PlusPoints deposit will take a few more days to a week -- for more see Questions about GPU/RPU deposit

BP status should be reflected on check-ins after status has updated. If status has changed since checkin, redo check-in.
Upgrade waitlist priority update is less clear but probably relates to the above on check-ins
Generally, the old practice of removing / updating FF account on existing itins is no longer needed.

Related thread -- Just short of next status level, before my next flight will UA grant early status?

Previous thread Time to update status? [Crossing/changing tiers/status]
Print Wikipost

How long / time to update status? [Crossing/changing tiers/status] What to do ?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gold23
Thanks all. So....the 1k desk unchecked me in, and it still showed platinum. Then, the agent simply pulled my mileageplus number from the res, unchecked me, and put it in as she checked me back in. It worked. Silly final question.... It shows 1k on my BP, and BG1. Now that 1k is pre-board, should it show as different boarding group, or is it BG1 and I just pre-board?

Even GS boarding pass shows BG1
Old Oct 26, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: UA 1K
Thanks all!
Old Oct 29, 2018, 7:43 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I flew RDU-SFO-PEK on 10/25 and on 10/27 my status changed from Premier Silver to Premier Gold. UA.com reflects this and I have a Gold card in my Apple Wallet but I still have some weird issues

- Reservations: All my current reservations show Premier Silver. I was able to change to E+ seats on upcoming reservations for free but was not able to do a free SDC today
- Boarding Passes: An ANA BP today printed correctly with UA*G but my UA BPs for today's flights printed inexplicably as "Premier Gold *S"

We'll see how long it takes for everything to be normal.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA Plat/*G, Marriott LT Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by roberton
How do I redo checkin? I just bumped up a notch in premier status, I have a flight in about 3 hours, I'm already checked in, and the status difference might well be the deciding factor for whether I get upgraded or not.

The wiki says to redo checkin, but the old option to undo checkin isn't there anymore. And if I just go through the normal checkin process (on the web page or the app), it tells me I'm already checked in, and it doesn't seem to update my status (the boarding pass still shows my old status level).

Any suggestions?
Resurrecting an old thread - I seem to be having a similar issue. I recently cleared the PQM threshold to Gold (flight was two days ago, PQMs posted this morning) - website and app both show Gold now (and app has a Gold MileagePlus card). I have another flight coming up midday tomorrow that I just checked in for, boarding pass incorrectly shows Silver and Group 2 boarding. When I go to "Manage Trip" on the website it also shows my status as Silver on the reservation under "Travelers".

Any way to fix this? As mentioned above, UA.com no longer has an option to undo check-in. Do I need to call or can they fix it at the airport tomorrow morning?
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
Originally Posted by chleonard
Resurrecting an old thread - I seem to be having a similar issue. I recently cleared the PQM threshold to Gold (flight was two days ago, PQMs posted this morning) - website and app both show Gold now (and app has a Gold MileagePlus card). I have another flight coming up midday tomorrow that I just checked in for, boarding pass incorrectly shows Silver and Group 2 boarding. When I go to "Manage Trip" on the website it also shows my status as Silver on the reservation under "Travelers".

Any way to fix this? As mentioned above, UA.com no longer has an option to undo check-in. Do I need to call or can they fix it at the airport tomorrow morning?
They can do it if you call. Did so yesterday as a newly minted 1K. Wanted to make sure I was put on the CPU list at 96 vs 72.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA Plat/*G, Marriott LT Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mtftw

They can do it if you call. Did so yesterday as a newly minted 1K. Wanted to make sure I was put on the CPU list at 96 vs 72.
Yup that did it, thanks. Took the agent a few tries (she had to manually refresh multiple systems the re-check me in apparently) but she was able to get the correct status on my boarding pass and the upgrade list.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 7:34 am

Programs: United MP
UA Mileagplus Miles and status changes posting immediately?

I am currently Star Alliance Silver, and will be flying to Singapore in early November. The miles from that flight would put me over the Star Alliance Gold level. With a 5-hour layover in SIN, access to a lounge would sure be nice.

I have read online that United is now crediting miles and status changes for United and United Express flights either in-flight or immediately post gate arrival. My question is whether or not they are consistent with this? Can I pretty much count on having the miles (and Gold status) available upon arrival in SIN? Or should I go ahead and buy a lounge pass?

Thanks for any info you can provide. I apologize if there is another thread talking about this - I looked, and could not find one...
Old Sep 9, 2019, 7:46 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Sil, MR Gold
For me, miles post within an hour or so of landing most of the time, but a few times, it took about 2 days. So while it's likely you can count on having the miles post to your account, soon after landing, it's not a certainty.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is a thread about credit posting very soon after arrival. Link: UA is now posting their flight earnings very soon after arrival (hours, same day, ..)

I'm not sure how that affects status changes, though. In the past I believe status changed as soon as miles posted.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: AC 25K
Do status changes kick in mid-trip?

I am currently 1,200 PQMs short of reaching Platium. Next month I am flying YEG-DEN-IAD-BRU, and the first leg earns 1,530 PQMs.

So, when I land in Denver, will my app show me as a Platinum or not?
Old Sep 18, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
It will take a day or two for the miles to post, and until that happens, there will be no status change.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by seenitall
It will take a day or two for the miles to post, and until that happens, there will be no status change.
My miles post almost instantly. Valid question by the OP.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 2:54 pm

Miles are posting very quickly for most now:
UA is now posting their flight earnings very soon after arrival (hours, same day, ..)

One would think that the status would change immediately as long as all requirements are met - but I'm not sure if there's a report of that in there or not. IME, UA flights post quickly, but partner flights still take some time.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bart889
....So, when I land in Denver, will my app show me as a Platinum or not?
Miles and dollars are posting much quicker now, but that might be too quick. Please post what happens!
Old Sep 18, 2019, 3:21 pm

I had my status change from silver to gold in the app last year 6 hours before I checked-in for my next flight, and the boarding pass still showed as silver. Can't imagine any status change would take effect for a flight you've already check-in for. You'd probably have to call in, but the only benefit I can think of would be a higher spot on the upgrade list DEN-IAD (which is unlikely to clear regardless).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.