Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr 2018, old GFL is now the intl UC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2016, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has announced that the SFO Polaris lounge is opening 30 April 2018

Summary
The International UC is closed for renovation to a Polaris Club. The SQ & BR lounges have been closed and will be integrated into the new facility. Polaris lounge open 30 April 2018.
SFO Polaris Lounge opens 30 April 2018 (Previews - Press 25th, MP 27th)

The old GFL (near G99) has been converted into a premium cabin international lounge (not an UC). Eventually, it will be converted into a UC for the non-premium cabin international passengers (*G in economy). Now operating as an United Club

The F and E concourse UCs plus again the temporary mezzanine UC lounge (across from Gate 71) are options for those not eligible for the temporary G premium cabin international lounge.

sign

Previous Updates

1 Oct 2017 on united.com
On October 1, the United Club location in the International Terminal will be closed to launch its transition into a United Polaris lounge. An additional United Club location will open across from Gate 71A on the mezzanine level at the end of September. Customers departing out of the International Terminal should allow 10-15 minutes to walk to their gate from the United Club location in Gate 71A or Concourse F.
posted 23 Sept 2017
Originally Posted by Oregonflyer
Bummer - was just in GF lounge and was told that in two weeks it will be a United Club - no showers, no open bar, etc. Was also told that "Polaris" is just a marketing term and that until the actual Polaris lounge opens in 8 months, it's United Clubs for everyone. .....
posted 28 Sept 2017
Originally Posted by geclub1
EVA just sent out an email announcement that its SFO lounge is closed as of 1OCT17.
Originally Posted by findark
.... in the F club at SFO right now and there are signs announcing that the G club will close (entirely!) as of 01-Oct-17 for Polaris renovations. Possibly replaced by the decommissioned GFL?
Closure of San Francisco SilverKris Lounge for renovations

The Singapore Airlines SilverKris Lounge in San Francisco will be closed for renovations starting from 01 October 2017. As part of the renovations, Singapore Airlines will begin a transition to a newly constructed, shared lounge facility operated by our Star Alliance partner, United Airlines. It is scheduled to open in early 2018.
Earlier thread summary
Summary of posts suggest the present SFO Global First Lounge will be available for much of first half of 2017. Reports are that the current Global First Lounge will become a "regular" UC, while the current international (G Terminal) UC will become a Polaris club (which will integrate the space currently housing the SQ & BR lounges). UA is also constructing a new UC, either in Terminal G or E (or both). Construction has begun in the G Terminal United Club, a large portion of which is now boarded off. Latest info from UA suggests "summer 2018" for the SFO Polaris lounge opening.

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread) --- UA Polaris lounge update site
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}
Print Wikipost

SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr 2018, old GFL is now the intl UC

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2018, 5:16 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Both will be awful.
When I flew UA1 to SIN a couple of weeks ago, the Amex Lounge was not that crowded. The desk staff told me that there is a dip around 7 pm, and then numbers start to increase again around 9 pm.

I had a meal, a Manhattan, and hit the wine wall between 7 and 9 pm, and then headed to the shower as the lounge began to fill again. By the time I was done with the shower, it was time to head to the International Terminal for pre-boarding. I noticed people milling about the entrance of UA's Fauxlaris lounge. Apparently it was at capacity and they were limiting the entry then.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 5:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by transportprof
When I flew UA1 to SIN a couple of weeks ago, the Amex Lounge was not that crowded. The desk staff told me that there is a dip around 7 pm, and then numbers start to increase again around 9 pm.
Last time I was there was for the LH MUC flight at 9:25 pm and it was packed the whole time I was there. Guess it's YMMV. But the only times I've seen this lounge not full is from 5 am to about 6:30 and mid-afternoon from about 2 to 4:30.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by transportprof
Fauxlaris lounge.
Love it!
(the name, the lounge not so much)
Old Mar 5, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA Platinum; IHG Diamond Ambassador
So any more recent status updates estimating when this mess will finally be over? When will the new UC club in the international terminal open?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 4:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ARR72
So any more recent status updates estimating when this mess will finally be over? When will the new UC club in the international terminal open?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by ARR72
Presumably the new G UC club (the old FC lounge) will be even later than the opening of the Polaris Lounge, as when they open the latter, they will then have to renovate the former, to change it from a small previously FC lounge to a (hopefully larger) UC club.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Starman
Presumably the new G UC club (the old FC lounge) will be even later than the opening of the Polaris Lounge, as when they open the latter, they will then have to renovate the former, to change it from a small previously FC lounge to a (hopefully larger) UC club.
Yes, so for domestic flyers and *G, the lounge situation at SFO will continue to massively suck for even longer.
NoLaGent, porciuscato and zeer0 like this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:42 pm

SFO Lounge Access - Star Alliance Flight

Hello,
Trying to map out what lounges I have access to for an upcoming trip. I've normally had access through credit card programs but I've scaled back the past year so that isn't an option.

One of the legs is flying out of SFO on Copa with a business class ticket. Am I able to used that to get into United Global First Lounge?

This is listed on the SFO website (https://www.flysfo.com/flight-info/lounges):
Access is available to United Polaris First and Business Class customers and Star Alliance First and Business cabin customers departing on long-haul international flights.

My flight is only about 7 hours, is that considered "Long-Haul"?? Its also an award booking, does that make a difference?
Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold
You'll be in the United Club. The SFO website is wrong

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...n-lounges.aspx
Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:57 pm

All star alliance lounges are under contruction. They stick everyone into the old United first lounge. Hopefully your stay isn't long. Grab a seat,do some emails and drink all the Moet.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dascc
... One of the legs is flying out of SFO on Copa with a business class ticket. Am I able to used that to get into United Global First Lounge?

Am I able to used that to get into United Global First Lounge?

This is listed on the SFO website (https://www.flysfo.com/flight-info/lounges):
Access is available to United Polaris First and Business Class customers and Star Alliance First and Business cabin customers departing on long-haul international flights.

My flight is only about 7 hours, is that considered "Long-Haul"?? Its also an award booking, does that make a difference?
The lounge situation is a mess, my guess is you will have access to the long haul International Premium Cabin lounge

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
There is no longer an IFL/GFL at SFO, so that link is not relevant.

Originally Posted by sigma6
All star alliance lounges are under contruction. ...
The SFO International UC is in process of being converted to a Polaris Lounge. The SQ/BR lounges are permanently gone. The previous UA IFL/GFL is being used as an International Premium Cabin long-haul departure lounge, it will become a UC on the completion of the Polaris lounge. There are three UCs available in T3. (along with an AMEX lounge)
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:07 pm

well that stinks... the United Clubs are in T3 so I would have to go thru security to get back to the international terminal??
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
well that stinks... the United Clubs are in T3 so I would have to go thru security to get back to the international terminal??
No. If you chose to visit a UC in T3, there is no need to go through security again.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:12 pm

well that stinks...
ignore that information, that information is not relevant

The United Clubs are in T3 so I would have to go thru security to get back to the international terminal??
The International Terminal and T3 are connected airside, no need to reclear security.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
No you can stay all air side, there is a corridor that connects the two. Actually pretty easy and if this is an option there is a AE Centurion Lounge just as you enter into T3 on your right. The other UC club options are further down but still not too bad of a walk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.