Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr 2018, old GFL is now the intl UC

Old Nov 27, 2016, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has announced that the SFO Polaris lounge is opening 30 April 2018

Summary
The International UC is closed for renovation to a Polaris Club. The SQ & BR lounges have been closed and will be integrated into the new facility. Polaris lounge open 30 April 2018.
SFO Polaris Lounge opens 30 April 2018 (Previews - Press 25th, MP 27th)

The old GFL (near G99) has been converted into a premium cabin international lounge (not an UC). Eventually, it will be converted into a UC for the non-premium cabin international passengers (*G in economy). Now operating as an United Club

The F and E concourse UCs plus again the temporary mezzanine UC lounge (across from Gate 71) are options for those not eligible for the temporary G premium cabin international lounge.

sign

Previous Updates

1 Oct 2017 on united.com
On October 1, the United Club location in the International Terminal will be closed to launch its transition into a United Polaris lounge. An additional United Club location will open across from Gate 71A on the mezzanine level at the end of September. Customers departing out of the International Terminal should allow 10-15 minutes to walk to their gate from the United Club location in Gate 71A or Concourse F.
posted 23 Sept 2017
Originally Posted by Oregonflyer
Bummer - was just in GF lounge and was told that in two weeks it will be a United Club - no showers, no open bar, etc. Was also told that "Polaris" is just a marketing term and that until the actual Polaris lounge opens in 8 months, it's United Clubs for everyone. .....
posted 28 Sept 2017
Originally Posted by geclub1
EVA just sent out an email announcement that its SFO lounge is closed as of 1OCT17.
Originally Posted by findark
.... in the F club at SFO right now and there are signs announcing that the G club will close (entirely!) as of 01-Oct-17 for Polaris renovations. Possibly replaced by the decommissioned GFL?
Closure of San Francisco SilverKris Lounge for renovations

The Singapore Airlines SilverKris Lounge in San Francisco will be closed for renovations starting from 01 October 2017. As part of the renovations, Singapore Airlines will begin a transition to a newly constructed, shared lounge facility operated by our Star Alliance partner, United Airlines. It is scheduled to open in early 2018.
Earlier thread summary
Summary of posts suggest the present SFO Global First Lounge will be available for much of first half of 2017. Reports are that the current Global First Lounge will become a "regular" UC, while the current international (G Terminal) UC will become a Polaris club (which will integrate the space currently housing the SQ & BR lounges). UA is also constructing a new UC, either in Terminal G or E (or both). Construction has begun in the G Terminal United Club, a large portion of which is now boarded off. Latest info from UA suggests "summer 2018" for the SFO Polaris lounge opening.

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread) --- UA Polaris lounge update site
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}
Print Wikipost

SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr 2018, old GFL is now the intl UC

Old Oct 4, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by JONEZY00
At the (old) GFL now (10am PST). Every seat taken. people walking laps to spot someone leaving. Some just eating standing up. Staff are busting to keep up and are really working hard. They need more help.

No lines at check-in but they looked harried. Getting berated by *G folks who are being turned away, but the banner outside clearly states its only for J/F.

Will see if it has improved in a week on the return trip!!
Thanks for the report, much appreciated. I will be connecting to HKG this Friday from 10 am- noon. Sounds like it will be a zoo . Just FYI, if I read your last line correctly, you will not be able to access that club on your return. They are restricting access to international long haul departures only.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 12:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Assuming you're flying J/F, I'd just hang out in the arrivals lounge until fairly close to departure. It's always been an oasis compared to the clubs upstairs. Decent breakfast, too.
bluedemon211 likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 12:53 pm

At the (old) GFL now (10am PST). Every seat taken. people walking laps to spot someone leaving. Some just eating standing up. Staff are busting to keep up and are really working hard. They need more help.

No lines at check-in but they looked harried. Getting berated by *G folks who are being turned away, but the banner outside clearly states its only for J/F.

Do you know if they added additional seating or are getting by with the original configuration? Thanks.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
JHake10 - So are they still offering champagne, or has that been discontinued?
I didn't look too hard. However, across of the self serve liquor where all the other beverages use to be, there was a few bottles of what I assumed was wine but could of been champagne.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: Bear Backers
Flying Lufthansa Prem Economy 10/25 to Munich. Have credit card passes for United club. I am assuming these will not work for this reconfigured small club. Correct?

Not going to 71a. Not worth it.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by oskidunker
Flying Lufthansa Prem Economy 10/25 to Munich. Have credit card passes for United club. I am assuming these will not work for this reconfigured small club. Correct?

Not going to 71a. Not worth it.
No, sorry. Departure on *A in J or F only. No economy (or premium economy) access to the former GFL.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 3:55 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I'll be flying out on Lufthansa to MUC in F at the end of the month. I understand the former GFL is still accessible but neither United's nor Lufthansa's website mentions a shower. When I visited the GFL a couple of years ago I was able to take a shower. Have they closed the shower facilities in the former GFL? If so I'll have to look for an alternative after spending a whole day in San Francisco.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
I'll be flying out on Lufthansa to MUC in F at the end of the month. I understand the former GFL is still accessible but neither United's nor Lufthansa's website mentions a shower. When I visited the GFL a couple of years ago I was able to take a shower. Have they closed the shower facilities in the former GFL? If so I'll have to look for an alternative after spending a whole day in San Francisco.
Don't know if showers at former GFL are still available. An earlier poster was told shower facilities wouldn't be available, but no confirmation re showers since October 1 from someone actually there since changeover. In any case, here's a convenient option at SFO:

http://www.flysfo.com/content/freshen

If the showers are now unavailable, United, et al, should provide Freshen vouchers for departing long-haul int'l F pax wanting showers to maintain at least that aspect of the former GFL experience (J pax will still have to wait for Polaris lounge as they are not losing anything in that regard with the current set-up...)

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Oct 4, 2017 at 4:19 pm
Old Oct 4, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Have they closed the shower facilities in the former GFL?
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Don't know if showers at former GFL are still available. An earlier poster was told shower facilities wouldn't be available...
FWIW, the showers were available in August, when they were allowing "select" J passengers. IRRC, the post about shower facilities not being available was with respect to the GFL's eventual re-purposing into a UC.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 11:43 pm

Programs: NZ *E
So it's just the usual boring soup, cheese, crackers and cookies for food in the GFL now?

That's a big downgrade from the Singapore lounge
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JHake10
I'm at the old GFL now. Completely overcrowded, had to walk around and wait for someone to get up. They got rid of the decent hot food options for traditional UC fare. Where the hot food was are two fridges with cans of soda which is nice. They also kept the same self serve liquor station.
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Do you know if they added additional seating or are getting by with the original configuration? Thanks.
So, it looks like they just kept the same seating capacity?
At x10 - 20 times the eligible pax count!?!

Champagne selection has been going downhill significantly; foundly
remembering the Ruinard and Laurent Perrier Rose....
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA GS
Yep, seating exactly the same.

In lounge now, not as crowded as I expected. Seats still available, maybe 80% full. Staff does seem pretty overworked.

But still not the relaxing place I was in two weeks ago. Oh well, have three hours in HKG so will enjoy the GFL lounge there.

Last edited by bslepko; Oct 5, 2017 at 12:20 pm
Old Oct 5, 2017, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had a few hours at SFO today and walked to all the lounges (including the old SQ and BR lounges where the signs to the corridor are already removed). The temporary lounge is hard to get to (only by 1 elevator) and felt very crammed (no window). I think it is going to be an ugly few months.

I just hope they finish on-time - sign at the closed big lounge says Summer 2018 but the SQ Lounge's letter from NZ says April 2018.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by bslepko
Yep, seating exactly the same.

In lounge now, not as crowded as I expected. Seats still available, maybe 80% full. Staff does seem pretty overworked.

But still not the relaxing place I was in two weeks ago. Oh well, have three hours in HKG so will enjoy the GFL lounge there.
Thanks for the update.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 4:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Visited the mezzaine club today - early afternoon. Not empty but sounds much better than the other club

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.