Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr 2018, old GFL is now the intl UC

Old Nov 27, 2016, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has announced that the SFO Polaris lounge is opening 30 April 2018

Summary
The International UC is closed for renovation to a Polaris Club. The SQ & BR lounges have been closed and will be integrated into the new facility. Polaris lounge open 30 April 2018.
SFO Polaris Lounge opens 30 April 2018 (Previews - Press 25th, MP 27th)

The old GFL (near G99) has been converted into a premium cabin international lounge (not an UC). Eventually, it will be converted into a UC for the non-premium cabin international passengers (*G in economy). Now operating as an United Club

The F and E concourse UCs plus again the temporary mezzanine UC lounge (across from Gate 71) are options for those not eligible for the temporary G premium cabin international lounge.

sign

Previous Updates

1 Oct 2017 on united.com
On October 1, the United Club location in the International Terminal will be closed to launch its transition into a United Polaris lounge. An additional United Club location will open across from Gate 71A on the mezzanine level at the end of September. Customers departing out of the International Terminal should allow 10-15 minutes to walk to their gate from the United Club location in Gate 71A or Concourse F.
posted 23 Sept 2017
Originally Posted by Oregonflyer
Bummer - was just in GF lounge and was told that in two weeks it will be a United Club - no showers, no open bar, etc. Was also told that "Polaris" is just a marketing term and that until the actual Polaris lounge opens in 8 months, it's United Clubs for everyone. .....
posted 28 Sept 2017
Originally Posted by geclub1
EVA just sent out an email announcement that its SFO lounge is closed as of 1OCT17.
Originally Posted by findark
.... in the F club at SFO right now and there are signs announcing that the G club will close (entirely!) as of 01-Oct-17 for Polaris renovations. Possibly replaced by the decommissioned GFL?
Closure of San Francisco SilverKris Lounge for renovations

The Singapore Airlines SilverKris Lounge in San Francisco will be closed for renovations starting from 01 October 2017. As part of the renovations, Singapore Airlines will begin a transition to a newly constructed, shared lounge facility operated by our Star Alliance partner, United Airlines. It is scheduled to open in early 2018.
Earlier thread summary
Summary of posts suggest the present SFO Global First Lounge will be available for much of first half of 2017. Reports are that the current Global First Lounge will become a "regular" UC, while the current international (G Terminal) UC will become a Polaris club (which will integrate the space currently housing the SQ & BR lounges). UA is also constructing a new UC, either in Terminal G or E (or both). Construction has begun in the G Terminal United Club, a large portion of which is now boarded off. Latest info from UA suggests "summer 2018" for the SFO Polaris lounge opening.

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread) --- UA Polaris lounge update site
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}
Print Wikipost

SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr 2018, old GFL is now the intl UC

Old Oct 3, 2017, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by findark
Yes, and yes. The old GFL is now open using the same access rules as the ORD Polaris Lounge (though it is presumably just UC quality).
I thought the ORD Polaris was available for arriving Polaris passengers. The SFO one is only for departing passengers. My Den flight leaves from 95 so I am disappointed and it's not worth it to walk to and from another UC(which makes me question my membership anyway),
Old Oct 3, 2017, 6:37 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
I thought the ORD Polaris was available for arriving Polaris passengers. The SFO one is only for departing passengers. My Den flight leaves from 95 so I am disappointed and it's not worth it to walk to and from another UC(which makes me question my membership anyway),
The former GFL is simply not big enough, so restricting it to departures is only practical.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 6:44 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Observations?

As many others have speculated, the number of international *A J and F passengers could overwhelm the former GFL. Has anyone been in the club since Sunday? Curious if they added seats, changed the open bar and food service, etc. I'll be there Friday for a layover on the way to HKG. I'll share what I see, but curious to hear other's feedback.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
A single lounge closure on one concourse at a single airport with 3-4 other lounges is enough to make question your membership? The horror of a five-minute walk!

The SFO lounge in question IS NOT a Polaris lounge. It is a temporary set-up until the actual Polaris lounge opens next year (allegedly). The size of the GFL can barely handle departing front-cabin passengers. If you've ever visited it (your thinking arriving Polaris customers should have access suggests you have not), you will know that severe restriction of access is necessary. It is not that big. Departing front-cabin overseas passengers would look at 8-across UA business seating as being spacious after being crammed in the (former) GFL.

I actually found the mezzanine lounge to be OK when I used it 2 tears ago (or whenever it was), even without a view. The E club can get totally jammed. The Rotunda club is a bit better than E, especially in the back work area.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Oct 3, 2017 at 7:54 pm
Old Oct 3, 2017, 8:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I emailed an Air Canada SFO rep to ask where AC business class passengers should go.

The reply said that AC elite members (so, of course, not answering the very specific thing I wanted to know) should head to one of the UCs in T3.

Even at a reasonable walking pace, it's now about ~10 minutes each way out of the way.

I guess Centurion will still be my go-to when I have time for a lounge (though it's a bit out of the way too).
Old Oct 3, 2017, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I emailed an Air Canada SFO rep to ask where AC business class passengers should go.

The reply said that AC elite members (so, of course, not answering the very specific thing I wanted to know) should head to one of the UCs in T3.

Even at a reasonable walking pace, it's now about ~10 minutes each way out of the way.

I guess Centurion will still be my go-to when I have time for a lounge (though it's a bit out of the way too).
does AC use the G gates? Or A? G gates are just 5 - 7 minutes from the rotunda club, especially if you maintain a brisk pace on the bouncy bouncy moving walkway nearest the club.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
does AC use the G gates? Or A? G gates are just 5 - 7 minutes from the rotunda club, especially if you maintain a brisk pace on the bouncy bouncy moving walkway nearest the club.
They're at the G gates.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 11:00 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
G gates are just 5 - 7 minutes from the rotunda club, especially if you maintain a brisk pace on the bouncy bouncy moving walkway nearest the club.
And Centurion lounge is only 2-3 minutes from G terminal.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott lifetime Plt, UA 1MM
At the (old) GFL now (10am PST). Every seat taken. people walking laps to spot someone leaving. Some just eating standing up. Staff are busting to keep up and are really working hard. They need more help.

No lines at check-in but they looked harried. Getting berated by *G folks who are being turned away, but the banner outside clearly states its only for J/F.

Will see if it has improved in a week on the return trip!!
Old Oct 4, 2017, 11:14 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JONEZY00
At the (old) GFL now (10am PST). Every seat taken. people walking laps to spot someone leaving. Some just eating standing up. Staff are busting to keep up and are really working hard. They need more help.

No lines at check-in but they looked harried. Getting berated by *G folks who are being turned away, but the banner outside clearly states its only for J/F.

Will see if it has improved in a week on the return trip!!
Thanks for the update / warning! I have a 6 hour layover coming up I am dreading.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by chavala
Thanks for the update / warning! I have a 6 hour layover coming up I am dreading.
Against my better judgement, I scheduled 3 hour (domestic) layover at SFO tomorrow. I won't be affected by ex-GFL, but I also dread about the lounge situation overall. Sounds like the AMEX Centurion Lounge isn't much better (in fact could even be worse now because of G UC closure).
Old Oct 4, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I'm at the old GFL now. Completely overcrowded, had to walk around and wait for someone to get up. They got rid of the decent hot food options for traditional UC fare. Where the hot food was are two fridges with cans of soda which is nice. They also kept the same self serve liquor station.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by JHake10
I'm at the old GFL now. Completely overcrowded, had to walk around and wait for someone to get up. They got rid of the decent hot food options for traditional UC fare. Where the hot food was are two fridges with cans of soda which is nice. They also kept the same self serve liquor station.
Not surprised, when I spoke the bartender at the UC over by gate 71 last week and heard what they were doing with the UC and the transition of the GFL I knew this would be a mess. He laughed about it as well. As the saying goes, you can't put 10lbs of "stuff" in a 5lbs box.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
A single lounge closure on one concourse at a single airport with 3-4 other lounges is enough to make question your membership? The horror of a five-minute walk!

The SFO lounge in question IS NOT a Polaris lounge. It is a temporary set-up until the actual Polaris lounge opens next year (allegedly). The size of the GFL can barely handle departing front-cabin passengers. If you've ever visited it (your thinking arriving Polaris customers should have access suggests you have not), you will know that severe restriction of access is necessary. It is not that big. Departing front-cabin overseas passengers would look at 8-across UA business seating as being spacious after being crammed in the (former) GFL.

I actually found the mezzanine lounge to be OK when I used it 2 tears ago (or whenever it was), even without a view. The E club can get totally jammed. The Rotunda club is a bit better than E, especially in the back work area.
Sorry I made your eyes roll. This was the end of a trip that began with overcrowding at the ORD Polaris lounge. So much crowding at many UCs this year. IAH was standing room when I was there. Not a great value in my opinion but everyone has an opinion....
Old Oct 4, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by JHake10
JHake10 - So are they still offering champagne, or has that been discontinued?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.