Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr 2018, old GFL is now the intl UC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2016, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has announced that the SFO Polaris lounge is opening 30 April 2018

Summary
The International UC is closed for renovation to a Polaris Club. The SQ & BR lounges have been closed and will be integrated into the new facility. Polaris lounge open 30 April 2018.
SFO Polaris Lounge opens 30 April 2018 (Previews - Press 25th, MP 27th)

The old GFL (near G99) has been converted into a premium cabin international lounge (not an UC). Eventually, it will be converted into a UC for the non-premium cabin international passengers (*G in economy). Now operating as an United Club

The F and E concourse UCs plus again the temporary mezzanine UC lounge (across from Gate 71) are options for those not eligible for the temporary G premium cabin international lounge.

sign

Previous Updates

1 Oct 2017 on united.com
On October 1, the United Club location in the International Terminal will be closed to launch its transition into a United Polaris lounge. An additional United Club location will open across from Gate 71A on the mezzanine level at the end of September. Customers departing out of the International Terminal should allow 10-15 minutes to walk to their gate from the United Club location in Gate 71A or Concourse F.
posted 23 Sept 2017
Originally Posted by Oregonflyer
Bummer - was just in GF lounge and was told that in two weeks it will be a United Club - no showers, no open bar, etc. Was also told that "Polaris" is just a marketing term and that until the actual Polaris lounge opens in 8 months, it's United Clubs for everyone. .....
posted 28 Sept 2017
Originally Posted by geclub1
EVA just sent out an email announcement that its SFO lounge is closed as of 1OCT17.
Originally Posted by findark
.... in the F club at SFO right now and there are signs announcing that the G club will close (entirely!) as of 01-Oct-17 for Polaris renovations. Possibly replaced by the decommissioned GFL?
Closure of San Francisco SilverKris Lounge for renovations

The Singapore Airlines SilverKris Lounge in San Francisco will be closed for renovations starting from 01 October 2017. As part of the renovations, Singapore Airlines will begin a transition to a newly constructed, shared lounge facility operated by our Star Alliance partner, United Airlines. It is scheduled to open in early 2018.
Earlier thread summary
Summary of posts suggest the present SFO Global First Lounge will be available for much of first half of 2017. Reports are that the current Global First Lounge will become a "regular" UC, while the current international (G Terminal) UC will become a Polaris club (which will integrate the space currently housing the SQ & BR lounges). UA is also constructing a new UC, either in Terminal G or E (or both). Construction has begun in the G Terminal United Club, a large portion of which is now boarded off. Latest info from UA suggests "summer 2018" for the SFO Polaris lounge opening.

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread) --- UA Polaris lounge update site
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}
Print Wikipost

SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr 2018, old GFL is now the intl UC

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2017, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA GS; Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott, Hyatt; Hertz
Bummer - was just in GF lounge and was told that in two weeks it will be a United Club - no showers, no open bar, etc. Was also told that "Polaris" is just a marketing term and that until the actual Polaris lounge opens in 8 months, it's United Clubs for everyone. Doesn't sound anything like the Polaris experience in ORD, at least for a long time.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Bummer - was just in GF lounge and was told that in two weeks it will be a United Club - no showers, no open bar, etc. Was also told that "Polaris" is just a marketing term and that until the actual Polaris lounge opens in 8 months, it's United Clubs for everyone. Doesn't sound anything like the Polaris experience in ORD, at least for a long time.
I have to say I can understand this. The UC is overcrowded with half of it closed for the remodel to Polaris and they may reach a point where it all has to close to finish the work. Better to convert the GFL than have nothing. Being from SF and knowing how construction projects go sideways it’s not surprising they have had delays at SFO.

Yes it it would be great to have a finished Polaris Lounge.
Yes they over promised. Now they have to make adjustments to provide some amenity to people albeit imperfect.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 9:06 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
The penultimate stake in Global First's heart.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 9:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
until the actual Polaris lounge opens in 8 month
Old Sep 23, 2017, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Phooey, was hoping for one last GFL visit in 3 weeks
Old Sep 23, 2017, 10:01 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Phooey, was hoping for one last GFL visit in 3 weeks
As was I last week of October...
Old Sep 23, 2017, 11:39 pm

There is discussion on the EVA forum about the EVA SFO lounge closing on Oct 1st for 2 months. Probably related to the Polaris conversion.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 12:37 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Was also told that "Polaris" is just a marketing term and that until the actual Polaris lounge opens in 8 months, it's United Clubs for everyone. Doesn't sound anything like the Polaris experience in ORD, at least for a long time.
I abbreviate "marketing term" as B.S. I made several "Polaris" reservations based on a "Polaris" lounge existing at SFO in late spring of 2017, which was the original claim.

At the end of the day, for most passengers, "Polaris" means the same filthy coffin seats that never get cleaned. The same over-crowded lounges. The same surly service. You get a slightly better pillow and a blanket. That's it. What a crock.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 12:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by porciuscato
I abbreviate "marketing term" as B.S. I made several "Polaris" reservations based on a "Polaris" lounge existing at SFO in late spring of 2017, which was the original claim.

At the end of the day, for most passengers, "Polaris" means the same filthy coffin seats that never get cleaned. The same over-crowded lounges. The same surly service. You get a slightly better pillow and a blanket. That's it. What a crock.
Let's be fair - the wines are better than the swill served during the SMI/J days.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 7:15 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by halls120
Let's be fair - the wines are better than the swill served during the SMI/J days.
Indeed, the consensus seems to be that every single aspect of the hard and soft product has improved somewhat, but some find an aspect that hasn't improved -- cleanliness, for example, or footwell space -- and dwell incessantly on that.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 25, 2017 at 1:24 pm Reason: Discuss the issues, not the poster(s)
Old Sep 25, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by porciuscato

and good-bye chocolates served with the PDB!
Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
Indeed, the consensus seems to be that every single aspect of the hard and soft product has improved somewhat, but some find an aspect that hasn't improved -- cleanliness, for example, or footwell space -- and dwell incessantly on that.
It all sounds very in-the-know to toss around terms like "hard product." But it also glosses over reality. If by "hard product" you mean seats and lounges, there hasn't been any improvement, because, for the overwhelming majority of flyers, there has been absolutely NO CHANGE.

If you fly through any airport other than ORD, you get the same lounge. And even then, you get an extremely crowded lounge. Unless you fly one of four routes (out of how ??hundreds?) you get the same seats. No change = no improvement.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 25, 2017 at 1:24 pm Reason: update quote to reflect moderator edit
Old Sep 28, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
EVA just sent out an email announcement that its SFO lounge is closed as of 1OCT17.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 5:49 pm

Programs: -=- UA: GS + 3.9 Million Miler; Hilton: Diamond; Marriott: Gold; Hertz: President's Circle
Originally Posted by uanj
and good-bye chocolates served with the PDB!
I had chocolates with PDB in Polaris on each of my flights last week.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by geclub1
How about SK/Air NZ lounge? I hope that this one won't be closed soon.
Happy travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.