Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr 2018, old GFL is now the intl UC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2016, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has announced that the SFO Polaris lounge is opening 30 April 2018

Summary
The International UC is closed for renovation to a Polaris Club. The SQ & BR lounges have been closed and will be integrated into the new facility. Polaris lounge open 30 April 2018.
SFO Polaris Lounge opens 30 April 2018 (Previews - Press 25th, MP 27th)

The old GFL (near G99) has been converted into a premium cabin international lounge (not an UC). Eventually, it will be converted into a UC for the non-premium cabin international passengers (*G in economy). Now operating as an United Club

The F and E concourse UCs plus again the temporary mezzanine UC lounge (across from Gate 71) are options for those not eligible for the temporary G premium cabin international lounge.

sign

Previous Updates

1 Oct 2017 on united.com
On October 1, the United Club location in the International Terminal will be closed to launch its transition into a United Polaris lounge. An additional United Club location will open across from Gate 71A on the mezzanine level at the end of September. Customers departing out of the International Terminal should allow 10-15 minutes to walk to their gate from the United Club location in Gate 71A or Concourse F.
posted 23 Sept 2017
Originally Posted by Oregonflyer
Bummer - was just in GF lounge and was told that in two weeks it will be a United Club - no showers, no open bar, etc. Was also told that "Polaris" is just a marketing term and that until the actual Polaris lounge opens in 8 months, it's United Clubs for everyone. .....
posted 28 Sept 2017
Originally Posted by geclub1
EVA just sent out an email announcement that its SFO lounge is closed as of 1OCT17.
Originally Posted by findark
.... in the F club at SFO right now and there are signs announcing that the G club will close (entirely!) as of 01-Oct-17 for Polaris renovations. Possibly replaced by the decommissioned GFL?
Closure of San Francisco SilverKris Lounge for renovations

The Singapore Airlines SilverKris Lounge in San Francisco will be closed for renovations starting from 01 October 2017. As part of the renovations, Singapore Airlines will begin a transition to a newly constructed, shared lounge facility operated by our Star Alliance partner, United Airlines. It is scheduled to open in early 2018.
Earlier thread summary
Summary of posts suggest the present SFO Global First Lounge will be available for much of first half of 2017. Reports are that the current Global First Lounge will become a "regular" UC, while the current international (G Terminal) UC will become a Polaris club (which will integrate the space currently housing the SQ & BR lounges). UA is also constructing a new UC, either in Terminal G or E (or both). Construction has begun in the G Terminal United Club, a large portion of which is now boarded off. Latest info from UA suggests "summer 2018" for the SFO Polaris lounge opening.

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread) --- UA Polaris lounge update site
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}
Print Wikipost

SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr 2018, old GFL is now the intl UC

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2017, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by warrenw
Ah I see. I haven't been through SFO and that lounge in a few months.
Do you have an AMEX? If so, I highly recommend skipping any UA lounges and going to the Centurion lounge instead.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 7:16 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by kthpence
Do you have an AMEX? If so, I highly recommend skipping any UA lounges and going to the Centurion lounge instead.
Is your opinion formed by having experience with a UA Polaris or GF lounge?
Old Apr 4, 2017, 7:26 pm

They started the construction very recently, and half of the space of UC (beyond the service desk area) has been walled off which makes it very crowded.

When I was there last week, they said the current SQ Lounge space is also taken to build the Polaris Lounge. The current GFL will be eventually converted to UC once the Polaris Lounge is open...
Old Apr 4, 2017, 7:39 pm

Programs: None anymore
I don't, and while UA lounges aren't great I'm not paying to be in them so... I can't complain too much. (only fly through SFO internationally)
Old Apr 4, 2017, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
Is your opinion formed by having experience with a UA Polaris or GF lounge?
The OP won't have access to a UA Polaris lounge when they fly through SF, and yes, I've been to the GF many, many times. Still prefer a quiet Centurion lounge (which can be had) to the GF lounge at SFO.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 12:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Still prefer a quiet Centurion lounge (which can be had) to the GF lounge at SFO.
Which one is that? Not SFO.

Can we return to regular programming here, namely the Polaris build out and associated UA lounge issues?
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by FlyMan
They started the construction very recently, and half of the space of UC (beyond the service desk area) has been walled off which makes it very crowded.

When I was there last week, they said the current SQ Lounge space is also taken to build the Polaris Lounge. The current GFL will be eventually converted to UC once the Polaris Lounge is open...
Does anybody have any idea of timing for completion? I know it was being done in phases. Our next United International flight is not until mid-August in GF, part of me would love to be in new lounge, but part of me also would love to go to GFL @sfo one more time.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by SF1K
Does anybody have any idea of timing for completion? I know it was being done in phases. Our next United International flight is not until mid-August in GF, part of me would love to be in new lounge, but part of me also would love to go to GFL @sfo one more time.
+1. We will be flying through twice in August, and hope the GFL is open at least for the first visit.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Which one is that? Not SFO.

Can we return to regular programming here, namely the Polaris build out and associated UA lounge issues?
Every time I've been to the Cent lounge at SFO, it's been quiet. I have never had that experience at a UA lounge at SFO, or anywhere really.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Every time I've been to the Cent lounge at SFO, it's been quiet. I have never had that experience at a UA lounge at SFO, or anywhere really.
Good on you... between 10am-12pm and 7-10pm IME it's a zoo, especially when the buffet changes over...

That said, I can usually find a seat at the communal table off to the right. I'd love to see AMEX expand the lounge, but I'm not sure where they'd be able to do it.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: AS (MVP), UA (silver), AA, DL, Hilton (Gold)
I have read here that the regular UC is packed due to the changeover. I have also seen a few reports of people flying Polaris getting sent to the GF lounge.

how common is this? Would asking help? Have a flight going through SFO at the end of may.

How much nicer is the GF lounge?
Old Apr 6, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by EWR764
Good on you... between 10am-12pm and 7-10pm IME it's a zoo, especially when the buffet changes over...
I've been using it for about 18 months. When I first started, it was always pretty serene. In the last 6 months, it's been standing room only, except...

Originally Posted by EWR764
That said, I can usually find a seat at the communal table off to the right. I'd love to see AMEX expand the lounge, but I'm not sure where they'd be able to do it.
Shhhh. Don't be giving away the secret. I'm always intrigued to see people standing, but for some reason not willing to sit at that table. It's been my regular saviour.

Looking forward to the Polaris lounge being completed. The net effect is going to be significantly more lounge space (with the expansion of the current GFL as it turns into a UC). Might help the Centurion lounge clear up as well.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by pfpdx
I have read here that the regular UC is packed due to the changeover. I have also seen a few reports of people flying Polaris getting sent to the GF lounge.

how common is this? Would asking help? Have a flight going through SFO at the end of may.

How much nicer is the GF lounge?
If you are flying Polaris class on a paid ticket (vs upgrade), then they should be able to send you to GFL where you can actually sit and relax. Also can get Veuve Clicquot/Laurent-Perrier Rosé and sushi/dim sum if you are hungry...
Old Apr 6, 2017, 1:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FlyMan
If you are flying Polaris class on a paid ticket (vs upgrade), then they should be able to send you to GFL
Edited: Mixed reports on who might get a GFL invite.

Last edited by Kacee; Apr 6, 2017 at 1:51 pm
Old Apr 6, 2017, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee
Edited: Mixed reports on who might get a GFL invite.
It's almost certainly agent discretion. Last time I was flying (1K and no-status companion on GPUs), I quietly asked if they were "still sending 1Ks down to the GFL" and got the invite right away. The couple before us got it unprompted, with a "thank you for your loyalty".

I think a politely worded question like that is probably helpful, and treat it like a pleasant surprise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.