Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr 2018, old GFL is now the intl UC

Old Nov 27, 2016, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has announced that the SFO Polaris lounge is opening 30 April 2018

Summary
The International UC is closed for renovation to a Polaris Club. The SQ & BR lounges have been closed and will be integrated into the new facility. Polaris lounge open 30 April 2018.
SFO Polaris Lounge opens 30 April 2018 (Previews - Press 25th, MP 27th)

The old GFL (near G99) has been converted into a premium cabin international lounge (not an UC). Eventually, it will be converted into a UC for the non-premium cabin international passengers (*G in economy). Now operating as an United Club

The F and E concourse UCs plus again the temporary mezzanine UC lounge (across from Gate 71) are options for those not eligible for the temporary G premium cabin international lounge.

sign

Previous Updates

1 Oct 2017 on united.com
On October 1, the United Club location in the International Terminal will be closed to launch its transition into a United Polaris lounge. An additional United Club location will open across from Gate 71A on the mezzanine level at the end of September. Customers departing out of the International Terminal should allow 10-15 minutes to walk to their gate from the United Club location in Gate 71A or Concourse F.
posted 23 Sept 2017
Originally Posted by Oregonflyer
Bummer - was just in GF lounge and was told that in two weeks it will be a United Club - no showers, no open bar, etc. Was also told that "Polaris" is just a marketing term and that until the actual Polaris lounge opens in 8 months, it's United Clubs for everyone. .....
posted 28 Sept 2017
Originally Posted by geclub1
EVA just sent out an email announcement that its SFO lounge is closed as of 1OCT17.
Originally Posted by findark
.... in the F club at SFO right now and there are signs announcing that the G club will close (entirely!) as of 01-Oct-17 for Polaris renovations. Possibly replaced by the decommissioned GFL?
Closure of San Francisco SilverKris Lounge for renovations

The Singapore Airlines SilverKris Lounge in San Francisco will be closed for renovations starting from 01 October 2017. As part of the renovations, Singapore Airlines will begin a transition to a newly constructed, shared lounge facility operated by our Star Alliance partner, United Airlines. It is scheduled to open in early 2018.
Earlier thread summary
Summary of posts suggest the present SFO Global First Lounge will be available for much of first half of 2017. Reports are that the current Global First Lounge will become a "regular" UC, while the current international (G Terminal) UC will become a Polaris club (which will integrate the space currently housing the SQ & BR lounges). UA is also constructing a new UC, either in Terminal G or E (or both). Construction has begun in the G Terminal United Club, a large portion of which is now boarded off. Latest info from UA suggests "summer 2018" for the SFO Polaris lounge opening.

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread) --- UA Polaris lounge update site
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}
Print Wikipost

SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr 2018, old GFL is now the intl UC

Old Sep 28, 2017, 7:22 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
They have access to what they were promised to have -- access to the standard departure lounge (United Clubs -- and before that Red Carpet or Presidents Club).
As a life member I, too, would love access to Polaris. (Not to mention Unicorn rides to the flying machine and lay flat seats on every flight.)

In the real world, life members have lost both access to clubs when not flying (announced) and conference room access in the recent past (not announced).

It would be nice if United would offer something to make up for these changes; something like a free premium drink at the bar per visit or a few guest passes per year would not cost much to offer and be a nice gesture.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 7:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
... In the real world, life members have lost both access to clubs when not flying (announced) ....
Realizing we are verging on getting OT, that lost of access is pretty much of a non-loss since access to air-side requires BP. The real issue was the change in gate pass policy -- that affected more than LT UC members and reason or the change was never explained.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Apologies if I missed this in the thread, but in the F club at SFO right now and there are signs announcing that the G club will close (entirely!) as of 01-Oct-17 for Polaris renovations. Possibly replaced by the decommissioned GFL?
Old Sep 28, 2017, 8:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Apologies if I missed this in the thread, but in the F club at SFO right now and there are signs announcing that the G club will close (entirely!) as of 01-Oct-17 for Polaris renovations. Possibly replaced by the decommissioned GFL?
First report.

Wow what a cluster this will be.

Already 1K requalified. Looks like it will be more DL for me (SkyClub access with AMEX Plat).
Old Sep 28, 2017, 9:08 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
First report.

Wow what a cluster this will be.

Already 1K requalified. Looks like it will be more DL for me (SkyClub access with AMEX Plat).
Sorry, I'm a little confused by the original post. Is the OP saying the international lounge (as you come up the escalator) that has been under construction (but still open) is closing entirely on 1 October leaving the FCL the only club for all international passengers? If that's the case, cluster is an understatement!
Old Sep 28, 2017, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Interesting, same date as the closing of the EVA/BR club

Also posted last week
Originally Posted by Oregonflyer
Bummer - was just in GF lounge and was told that in two weeks it will be a United Club - no showers, no open bar, etc. Was also told that "Polaris" is just a marketing term and that until the actual Polaris lounge opens in 8 months, it's United Clubs for everyone. .....
Old Sep 28, 2017, 9:38 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Sorry, I'm a little confused by the original post. Is the OP saying the international lounge (as you come up the escalator) that has been under construction (but still open) is closing entirely on 1 October leaving the FCL the only club for all international passengers?
Yes, exactly. According to this report, the main International UC (Terminal G) will be closed.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Didn't I read recently they might be re-opening the mezzanine lounge? Not convenient to G, but they gotta do something. There's no way the GFL can handle the G UC and GFL guests (unless they install E- seating).

UA ought to provide Club members who live in Bay Area or transit SFO often a customer care e-cert of $200 for the decline in ambience/convenience due to construction

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Sep 28, 2017 at 10:13 pm
Old Sep 28, 2017, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Didn't I read recently they might be re-opening the mezzanine lounge? ...
There was a query in this thread a few months back but have not heard of any reports from UA. Plus the mezzanine club was near the E gates, not much help or the G gates.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 10:23 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Yes, exactly. According to this report, the main International UC (Terminal G) will be closed.
Thanks Kacee. Yikes, that is going to be a complete mess. I connect there 6 October on my way to HKG so I'll get to "experience it" first hand. I'll be sure to post my experience, but I'm guessing there will be plenty of others posting first.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Yes, that's what the sign said. There was no mention of a replacement space, but it's hard to imagine there not being one.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 11:49 pm

Programs: None anymore
Anybody have any idea how long the club will be closed for? I guess I'm assuming through Christmas but with all the space they need I would think they could get it done faster...

And what exactly is included in the remodel? I'm sure a bigger kitchen and better interior design but they can't be going THAT crazy with it........

Right?
Old Sep 28, 2017, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by warrenw
Anybody have any idea how long the club will be closed for? I guess I'm assuming through Christmas but with all the space they need I would think they could get it done faster...
Someone said eight months upthread. At this point, I'd expect the worst.

And what exactly is included in the remodel? I'm sure a bigger kitchen and better interior design but they can't be going THAT crazy with it........
I assume they're completely gutting the space.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 11:58 pm

... And what exactly is included in the remodel? I'm sure a bigger kitchen and better interior design but they can't be going THAT crazy with it........

Right?
And it is believed the previous SQ & BR lounges with be incorporated into the UA space.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 12:27 am

Programs: UA/*A nobody, Bonvoy Plat, SW A-list, Hertz 5* (but who isn't???)
Originally Posted by mherdeg
Shh, don't tell, but the SFO international terminal has a great little tiny landside pay-to-use shower facility (and supposedly also nap areas, but I've never tried ithttp://www.flysfo.com/content/freshen
I know this is an old post, but was just now searching FT for this very thing. I will be arriving soon HNL-SFO in whatever the old Hawaii BusinessFirst is called nowadays (2-4-2 Hawaii 772) and I’m delighted to know that I can get a shower at Freshen before continuing to the Amtrak Coast Starlight later in the day.

Many thanks for this nugget!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.