Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr 2018, old GFL is now the intl UC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2016, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has announced that the SFO Polaris lounge is opening 30 April 2018

Summary
The International UC is closed for renovation to a Polaris Club. The SQ & BR lounges have been closed and will be integrated into the new facility. Polaris lounge open 30 April 2018.
SFO Polaris Lounge opens 30 April 2018 (Previews - Press 25th, MP 27th)

The old GFL (near G99) has been converted into a premium cabin international lounge (not an UC). Eventually, it will be converted into a UC for the non-premium cabin international passengers (*G in economy). Now operating as an United Club

The F and E concourse UCs plus again the temporary mezzanine UC lounge (across from Gate 71) are options for those not eligible for the temporary G premium cabin international lounge.

sign

Previous Updates

1 Oct 2017 on united.com
On October 1, the United Club location in the International Terminal will be closed to launch its transition into a United Polaris lounge. An additional United Club location will open across from Gate 71A on the mezzanine level at the end of September. Customers departing out of the International Terminal should allow 10-15 minutes to walk to their gate from the United Club location in Gate 71A or Concourse F.
posted 23 Sept 2017
Originally Posted by Oregonflyer
Bummer - was just in GF lounge and was told that in two weeks it will be a United Club - no showers, no open bar, etc. Was also told that "Polaris" is just a marketing term and that until the actual Polaris lounge opens in 8 months, it's United Clubs for everyone. .....
posted 28 Sept 2017
Originally Posted by geclub1
EVA just sent out an email announcement that its SFO lounge is closed as of 1OCT17.
Originally Posted by findark
.... in the F club at SFO right now and there are signs announcing that the G club will close (entirely!) as of 01-Oct-17 for Polaris renovations. Possibly replaced by the decommissioned GFL?
Closure of San Francisco SilverKris Lounge for renovations

The Singapore Airlines SilverKris Lounge in San Francisco will be closed for renovations starting from 01 October 2017. As part of the renovations, Singapore Airlines will begin a transition to a newly constructed, shared lounge facility operated by our Star Alliance partner, United Airlines. It is scheduled to open in early 2018.
Earlier thread summary
Summary of posts suggest the present SFO Global First Lounge will be available for much of first half of 2017. Reports are that the current Global First Lounge will become a "regular" UC, while the current international (G Terminal) UC will become a Polaris club (which will integrate the space currently housing the SQ & BR lounges). UA is also constructing a new UC, either in Terminal G or E (or both). Construction has begun in the G Terminal United Club, a large portion of which is now boarded off. Latest info from UA suggests "summer 2018" for the SFO Polaris lounge opening.

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread) --- UA Polaris lounge update site
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}
Print Wikipost

SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr 2018, old GFL is now the intl UC

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2017, 12:56 am

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by DCA writer
I'm about 90% sure the really sarcastic bartender from the international UC is now working the rotunda UC. Either that, or her doppelganger was today: After getting a gin and tonic (more gin than tonic, not that I'm complaining per se) and deciding to have a glass of red wine next, she asked "you didn't like my gin and tonic?"
Asian lady? If so she was rude to me on three separate occasions (three separate trips to clarify)asking for an ID in order to drink.... At first I was thrown off since I've been living in Asia for 4 years and nobody asks for it here. But instead of "can I see your ID?" it was "I won't serve you until you show me some ID." And that response was after I simply asked for a drink. So odd.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by warrenw
Asian lady? If so she was rude to me on three separate occasions (three separate trips to clarify)asking for an ID in order to drink.... At first I was thrown off since I've been living in Asia for 4 years and nobody asks for it here. But instead of "can I see your ID?" it was "I won't serve you until you show me some ID." And that response was after I simply asked for a drink. So odd.
That’s Chow and people either love her or don’t. She’s been discussed elsewhere here. For myself I think she’s a hoot. I give it back just as much. She loves it.

Last edited by SFO 1K; Nov 16, 2017 at 12:44 pm
Old Nov 16, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
That’s Chow and people either lover her don’t. She’s been discussed elsewhere here. For myself I think she’s a hoot. I give it back just as much. She loves it.
I've observed her a few times and love it. More for watching how other people inter/react.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 5:50 pm

Programs: None anymore
That’s Chow and people either love her or don’t. She’s been discussed elsewhere here. For myself I think she’s a hoot. I give it back just as much. She loves it.
LOL I'll make sure to snap back next time then!
Old Nov 17, 2017, 9:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I'm in here again before my AC SFO-YYZ J flight.

I handed over my boarding pass.
"Let's see where you're going"
*looked at the BP, scanned it*
*BEEP*
"The lounge is just downstairs"

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 17, 2017 at 11:36 pm Reason: Posting passwords not allowed by FT rules
Old Nov 17, 2017, 11:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow

*BEEP*
Interesting the sign has now changed to agree with the rest of the signs

The question is why say "long haul" unless you mean to excluded some international flights? and if so which?
UA's traditional definition is long hualhas been outside of North America,

But there still seems to no change for the BP scanner, yet.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I am coming back from LHR to SFO in Polaris. I am assuming based on the sign saying "Departing SFO Only" I am ineligible to use the old GFL lounge in SFO. Correct?
Old Nov 18, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I am coming back from LHR to SFO in Polaris. I am assuming based on the sign saying "Departing SFO Only" I am ineligible to use the old GFL lounge in SFO. Correct?
Correct, you can use one of the UCs.
As you can see it has its own special rules given the nature of the situation at SFO. Even if you were flying SFO-LAX-LHR you couldn't use it.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
you are eligible for the Arrivals Lounge if your flight gets in in the morning though. Nice option to have.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 3:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
you are eligible for the Arrivals Lounge if your flight gets in in the morning though. Nice option to have.
however, for the OP, LHR-SFO arrivals are in the afternoon.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by canadiancow

*BEEP*
When I was there last Wednesday, they were making boarding announcements for AC flights to Calgary and Montreal.

Maybe the sign is there to discourage people from even tying to enter?
Old Nov 22, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
flying polaris today... SG lounge is done, so should I go UC lounge for polaris (not the club one), or AMEX (i have plat access)
Old Nov 22, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by twkidM3
flying polaris today... SG lounge is done, so should I go UC lounge for polaris (not the club one), or AMEX (i have plat access)

I think the consensus is find the one you can sit down in.....or go by Cent lounge, grab food, then schlep over to one that has some room.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: *bucks Gold
SFO United Club - International Terminal - Access

Has anyone been to what was formerly the Global First Lounge located between gates 98 and 100? Are the offerings different from the standard Clubs?

Has anyone connecting to a Polaris long-haul (eg, ex-ORD/IAH/EWR) gotten access to this club? According to the UA website: "International long-haul First and Business class departures only." But it doesn't say departures from SFO only. At the Polaris lounge in ORD, anyone flying Polaris that same day can access it.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by GUM_elite
Has anyone been to what was formerly the Global First Lounge located between gates 98 and 100? Are the offerings different from the standard Clubs?

Has anyone connecting to a Polaris long-haul (eg, ex-ORD/IAH/EWR) gotten access to this club? According to the UA website: "International long-haul First and Business class departures only." But it doesn't say departures from SFO only. At the Polaris lounge in ORD, anyone flying Polaris that same day can access it.
The stated rules require a long-haul, non-North American departure from SFO. You might try anyway, because there are some agents from the UC side who aren't up to speed with the restrictive rules. The food is above standard UC fare, but below former GFL offerings.
GUM_elite likes this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Nov 27, 2017 at 11:44 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.