Non-*A on UA PNR (China)

Old Nov 6, 16, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, DL Plat
Non-*A on UA PNR (China)

Forgive me if this should be in another thread... I have two questions, as I am considering booking a flight on united.com that is either a short MU or CX hop connecting to a trans-pac UA flight, but they're all on one United reservation.

1) What happens if the MU or CX flight is delayed/cancelled? Will UA rebook since the CX/MU flight was part of the UA reservation?

2) I would not need a visa to pass through China for a layover, correct (2-5hrs)?

Thanks!
Old Nov 6, 16, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Yes on both counts.
Old Nov 6, 16, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aacharya View Post
Yes on both counts.
Awesome-- thanks!
Old Nov 6, 16, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nycflyer222 View Post
1) What happens if the MU or CX flight is delayed/cancelled? Will UA rebook since the CX/MU flight was part of the UA reservation?
The late delivering carrier is responsible for rebooking you to your next stopover. UA may choose to rebook you, but is not obligated to.

2) I would not need a visa to pass through China for a layover, correct (2-5hrs)?
Depends on a number of factors, consult TIMATICweb for an answer based on your detailed information.
Old Nov 6, 16, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 0.8MM; PPL
Try to book Cathay instead of China Eastern. It's a world of difference in quality and service.
Old Nov 6, 16, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
The late delivering carrier is responsible for rebooking you to your next stopover. UA may choose to rebook you, but is not obligated to.

Depends on a number of factors, consult TIMATICweb for an answer based on your detailed information.
I guess I could always SDC the UA flight if the CX/MU was delayed...

Originally Posted by sincx View Post
Try to book Cathay instead of China Eastern. It's a world of difference in quality and service.
A few hundred $$ more, but I'm thinking it may be worth it since I've never tried CX. Since it books into Y, any chance of automatic UG or being offered a last-minute cash UG?
Old Nov 6, 16, 2:38 pm

I guess I could always SDC the UA flight if the CX/MU was delayed...

A few hundred $$ more, but I'm thinking it may be worth it since I've never tried CX. Since it books into Y, any chance of automatic UG or being offered a last-minute cash UG?
You technically cannot SDC with any non-UA-operated flight. However, if there is a delay, agents have leeway to make changes without fees.
Old Nov 6, 16, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fumje View Post
You technically cannot SDC with any non-UA-operated flight. However, if there is a delay, agents have leeway to make changes without fees.
Oh, what I meant was if CX is delayed, just SDC the UA portion for whenever I can actually get onto it..
Old Nov 6, 16, 7:18 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWE (EXP), IHG Plat

No. Op-Ups - if needed - go by oneWorld status.
Old Nov 7, 16, 1:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Oh, what I meant was if CX is delayed, just SDC the UA portion for whenever I can actually get onto it..
That won't be allowed due to the unflown CX segment. Per fumje's comment above, if your inbound on CX is delayed, UA will ultimately rebook you for free. Though your UA options ex-HKG are fairly limited, since all three UA flights depart within a 1:10 window.
Old Nov 7, 16, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
That won't be allowed due to the unflown CX segment. Per fumje's comment above, if your inbound on CX is delayed, UA will ultimately rebook you for free. Though your UA options ex-HKG are fairly limited, since all three UA flights depart within a 1:10 window.
Understood. Thanks!

Search this Thread