Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Kudos to United Passengers for putting small items in underseat area

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2016, 2:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: United, Turkish

Relocate if you like

We flew IAD-TPA late Thursday night. Absolutely Full flight. While no one seemed to have excessive carry on there still was not enough room. Passengers standing in aisle with luggage awaiting gate check. A passenger stood up Said loudly "what the hell" and yanked a small carry on bag out of the overhead and put it under the seat in front of him. It was like a flash mob. all of a sudden at least 20 other passengers stood up and grabbed small items and put them under the seat. They then helped the passengers in the aisle stow their bags and get seated. No more than 5 bags had to be gate checked.

Well done All of you
Old Nov 6, 2016, 3:28 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
If only people weren't so self-absorbed about putting small items in the overhead bin in the first place. I was re-orienting a guy's bag yesterday (he had put it in sideways, using the entire bin, so his and mine and even another bag could have easily fit once I turned his around) and he rudely pointed out an empty space on the opposite side of the aisle where I could put my bag instead of touching his.

Just because you get on the plane first, doesn't mean you are entitled to inefficiently take as much space as you like.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: United, Turkish
Originally Posted by eigenvector
If only people weren't so self-absorbed about putting small items in the overhead bin in the first place. .
Sure but in this case it was the fellow's only carry on, so I'd cut him some slack. DW and I usually carry one roller and one bag that can go under the seat in a pinch. (that's for BOTH of us).
Old Nov 6, 2016, 5:56 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by morelegroom
Sure but in this case it was the fellow's only carry on, so I'd cut him some slack. DW and I usually carry one roller and one bag that can go under the seat in a pinch. (that's for BOTH of us).
Sure, but it's still common to see people put two bags in the bins. I see it on every mainline flight.

Generally, people are selfish. And the airlines have certainly contributed to it with the bag fees and the ever-shrinking leg room.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 6:01 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
If you seat at bulkhead or exit row, you have no choice but put your small carryon on overhead bins. I do not feel bad about doing this.👏
Old Nov 6, 2016, 6:15 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kmxu
If you seat at bulkhead or exit row, you have no choice but put your small carryon on overhead bins. I do not feel bad about doing this.👏
Exit row can most certainly put stuff under the seat in front of them. It just has to fit completely under the seat.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Exit row can most certainly put stuff under the seat in front of them. It just has to fit completely under the seat.
That depends upon the carrier. On United, yes. On many Asian carriers, no; I've been on several that don't allow anything under the seat in front of the exit row, presumably so that the flight attendants don't have to police the size and placement of those bags.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 6:49 am

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, Carnival VIFP Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Has UA ever considered the larger bins for mainline narrowbodies that DL and AS are getting? Or does that hurt their revenue stream? DL's doing it so I assume UA can :-P.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 7:15 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by aoumd
Has UA ever considered the larger bins for mainline narrowbodies that DL and AS are getting? Or does that hurt their revenue stream? DL's doing it so I assume UA can :-P.
UA already did on some aircraft (A3xx) years ago (2012) , http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rovements.html
Old Nov 6, 2016, 10:31 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, UA 1K, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Kmxu
if you disregard first class, there IS bulkhead space on:
739 except row 8
737/8
A319
A320
EJ170/5

all have ample bulkhead space for a briefcase/laptop bag
Old Nov 6, 2016, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
I check my bag since I have to check my tools anyway. I feel no shame in putting my laptop in the bin. Contrary, I should be a model to you all.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I always put my messenger bag (two laptops, portable monitor, tablet, and Kindle) under the seat in front of me when possible.

One notable exception is the C & D seats on the 738 v3. You can barely fit a paperback book in that space. Lesson learned.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 7:33 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
That depends upon the carrier. On United, yes. On many Asian carriers, no; I've been on several that don't allow anything under the seat in front of the exit row, presumably so that the flight attendants don't have to police the size and placement of those bags.
Not on AA either
Old Nov 7, 2016, 7:47 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by jsloan
I'm about 90% certain that it's an aviation authority specific thing. The FAA allows anything that doesn't protrude from under a seat. European and Asian AAs don't allow any bags at all, presumably because they can and will move in the event of a mishap.

Nothing at all to do with policing sizes, everything to do with safety regulations being country specific.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 8:22 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by chavala
Not on AA either
This is not true. On AA you can put things under the seat in front of you in the Exit row ...also for example on the A321 where the seat in front of you may be a couple rows up due a door (D2 for example).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.