FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Passing along unused drink certs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1799754-passing-along-unused-drink-certs.html)

bluedemon211 Oct 31, 2016 3:35 pm

Passing along unused drink certs

Like many of us on FT, I go through the year with most/all of my drink certs unused. I decided on my last 2 domestic segments (seated in F) to "buy a round for the folks in Y. I DID NOT want anyone to know where it was coming from (did it to be nice, not get recognition). I asked the FA on flight #1 if she would be willing to give them to the first people that ordered a drink and keep going until they ran out, and did the same on segment 2. I had 2 completely opposite responses from the FA's.

The first one flat out refused and said "it's against policy and if you give them away I will report you". Yeesh. The second FA said, "no problem" and promptly took them and used them as desired.

My question; is there a true problem doing this or did FA #1 make something up (shocked he would make up a rule ;))? Has anyone else done this and if so what was the reaction from the FA's? Thanks.

aacharya Oct 31, 2016 3:55 pm

I think it's bad form to ask the FA to implement such a thing... I would have handed them out and not involved the FAs.

K2BF Oct 31, 2016 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya (Post 27418487)
I think it's bad form to ask the FA to implement such a thing... I would have handed them out and not involved the FAs.

I think the OP asking is perfectly fine. It's either alright or it's not. I don't have mine handy, but isn't there some text on the chits? I'd think if there's nothing there about this, then why not?

JBord Oct 31, 2016 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya (Post 27418487)

They set the stack on their cart, and when someone orders a drink they take one and scan it, rather than a credit card. No big deal. I have no problem with a FA saying no, but I see nothing wrong with asking. Some people enjoy helping to carry out random acts of kindness.

It's much worse form, IMO, for a F passenger to walk back through Y, asking people if they want a free drink.

iluv2fly Oct 31, 2016 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by JBord (Post 27418535)
They set the stack on their cart, and when someone orders a drink they take one and scan it, rather than a credit card. No big deal. I have no problem with a FA saying no, but I see nothing wrong with asking. Some people enjoy helping to carry out random acts of kindness.

It's much worse form, IMO, for a F passenger to walk back through Y, asking people if they want a free drink.

What he said. (Bolding mine.)

Lori_Q Oct 31, 2016 4:27 pm

"it's against policy and if you give them away I will report you." Is this another example of making up rules on the spot?

The rules printed back of the drink coupon state "This coupon is nonrefundable, nor redeemable for cash. Void if counterfeited, reproduced, bartered or sold." Were you bartering for the affections of the folks in Coach? :rolleyes:

IAH-OIL-TRASH Oct 31, 2016 4:38 pm

Zorro at T7 Sunday 8/28

I've done bulk giveaways twice. Once was one December when my flying was over for the year, so I stopped by OGG (it's really not out of the way) and stood at entrance of the non-Premier check-in line and asked people if they wanted a free drink on the way back to the mainland. Second time, I just doled 'em out to random people in the boarding area. Either way, you don't have to involve the FAs.

fivesixseven Oct 31, 2016 6:06 pm

I paid for the drinks of my seat mates recently with my coupons. The FA commented and said: "That's very kind of you."

Shareholder Oct 31, 2016 6:09 pm

BTW Do Feb 2016 expiring vouchers still scan? I've found a sheet from when I was 1K last year and have a couple of flights next month.

afrozenfyre Oct 31, 2016 6:13 pm

I've had expired ones accepted, but usually it's in a "take and put on the cart" way. Don't know if they scanned them later or not, but they were accepted. I would have been happy to pay (or use current ones) had they been rejected.

pinks Oct 31, 2016 7:05 pm

I have a large collection of drink coupons. A few months ago, towards the end of boarding, I stood up from my exit-row seat and said "does anyone want a free drink coupon"? I was surprised how many takers I got--it is amazing how these things which I value very little can make someone's day.

With regard to expired coupons, I decided to try this a few weeks ago by attempting to use a Continental free drink certificate that had no expiration date on it. The flight attendant gave me the drink, but didn't take the certificate :).

Lori_Q Oct 31, 2016 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 27418631)
I've done bulk giveaways twice. Once was one December when my flying was over for the year, so I stopped by OGG (it's really not out of the way) and stood at entrance of the non-Premier check-in line and asked people if they wanted a free drink on the way back to the mainland. Second time, I just doled 'em out to random people in the boarding area. Either way, you don't have to involve the FAs.

Nice. That's a good way to do it. I have a lot of January-expiring drink chits (from my and Mr. Lori_Q's 1K welcome packages). I'll use this method to give them away before they expire.

hughw Oct 31, 2016 8:36 pm

I still have PMCP drink coupons without expiration dates...PMCO crews take them without comment. PMUA FA's read them carefully before accepting.

philemer Oct 31, 2016 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by bluedemon211 (Post 27418418)
Like many of us on FT, I go through the year with most/all of my drink certs unused. I decided on my last 2 domestic segments (seated in F) to "buy a round for the folks in Y. I DID NOT want anyone to know where it was coming from (did it to be nice, not get recognition). I asked the FA on flight #1 if she would be willing to give them to the first people that ordered a drink and keep going until they ran out, and did the same on segment 2. I had 2 completely opposite responses from the FA's.

The first one flat out refused and said "it's against policy and if you give them away I will report you". Yeesh. The second FA said, "no problem" and promptly took them and used them as desired.

My question; is there a true problem doing this or did FA #1 make something up (shocked he would make up a rule ;))? Has anyone else done this and if so what was the reaction from the FA's? Thanks.

First one fibbed. Just didn't want to be bothered. I give extras to a FA and ask them to be given to military first & then anyone else. Never had a refusal.

PV_Premier Oct 31, 2016 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by bluedemon211 (Post 27418418)
The first one flat out refused and said "it's against policy and if you give them away I will report you".

:rolleyes::rolleyes: