Question - bag recall at connecting airport

Old Oct 30, 16, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VA Gold, United Premier Gold, Qantas Platinum
Question - bag recall at connecting airport

In the melee of repacking between a cancelled and rescheduled flight I packed my medication in one of my bags. Flying sfo-lax then onto Syd.

We are delayed on the runway so wondering if any advice on if/how to get bags offloaded at lax?
Old Oct 30, 16, 8:52 pm

Programs: United Premier Silver (Former Premier 1K), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Silver, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by russmeyergirl View Post
In the melee of repacking between a cancelled and rescheduled flight I packed my medication in one of my bags. Flying sfo-lax then onto Syd.

We are delayed on the runway so wondering if any advice on if/how to get bags offloaded at lax?
I'm not sure on if it's possible or not, maybe someone else can comment on it. Just make sure you have enough time to leave the secure area, talk to an agent, wait for the whole process, come back inside, and take your flight.
Old Oct 30, 16, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joseeantonior View Post
I'm not sure on if it's possible or not, maybe someone else can comment on it. Just make sure you have enough time to leave the secure area, talk to an agent, wait for the whole process, come back inside, and take your flight.
Yes and now delayed out of sfo so turning into nailbiter - not my 24hours!
Old Oct 30, 16, 8:57 pm

Programs: United Premier Silver (Former Premier 1K), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Silver, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by russmeyergirl View Post
Yes and now delayed out of sfo so turning into nailbiter - not my 24hours!
Good luck. Hopefully someone will give some insight while you're up in the air. Knocking on wood, but, maybe it gets delayed further and you have to be rebooked, so you'll see your bag?
Old Oct 30, 16, 8:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Good luck!
Old Oct 30, 16, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

I hope I am not delayed - my flight last night was cancelled and this is a rebook through lax!
Old Oct 30, 16, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, AC, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I don't know for sure, but its likely not going to happen.

Don't know about SFO, but at ORD, they need as many as 2 hours to get a bag out - this based on IRROPS in which I couldn't get out the same night, so requrested to have my bag out at ORD as the connection point. I'm guessing it's similar timing at SFO.

Don't forget - that at any given point, the scanning only tells them whether the bag is scanned off and on a flight, not where it is. So even if they know its been scanned off your flight, its either going to be somewhere between the plane it came off of, the holding area for your next flight, and the plane it is going to. Even if they could narrow it down to, say, the holding area, then they need to manually search for the bag with your tag info. on it.

Until we get RFID tags on UA (DL just started this recently, I believe), then this isn't going to change. It will happen at some point - we're just not there yet.
Old Oct 31, 16, 12:59 am
Original Poster

So it took 40 minutes but my bags were sent to baggage claim and I was able to get my meds and have the bags reloaded and I scrambled to the gate. A fantastic customer service experience. Well done United and the excellent super friendly, calm and efficient baggage claim staff at LAX.
Old Oct 31, 16, 9:08 am
Original Member

Programs: UA Platinum/MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
Glad to hear everything went well!

In general, bags can be retrieved when there's an IRROP, but it may take some time for them to retrieve the bag.

Search this Thread