Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Forced to check roller carry-on with lots of bin space open

Forced to check roller carry-on with lots of bin space open

Old May 19, 17, 7:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jonu View Post
... Showed it fit in the sizer, but was told it was still too big because I had to push it in. .....
The sizer has one extra inch in each dimension (than the posted size requirements), so if you had to push the bag to fit, then the bag is oversized.

But the inference if it fits, it good to go -- so assuming the push did not deformed the sizer, it should have been allowed -- but sounds like it was oversized.
Old May 19, 17, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
The sizer has one extra inch in each dimension (than the posted size requirements), so if you had to push the bag to fit, then the bag is oversized.

But the inference if it fits, it good to go -- so assuming the push did not deformed the sizer, it should have been allowed -- but sounds like it was oversized.
"Push" is actually an overstatement. It fit with a slight nudge. Standard TravelPro 21". Basically this is pure BS. GA was making all this up to get the plane out on-time or even early, but it was unwarranted. Basically making all standard 21" rollers gate checked starting in group 3 on a non-full flight. Totally complaint bag, not overstuffed. And then the threat to deny boarding.
Old May 20, 17, 6:51 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
"Push" is actually an overstatement. It fit with a slight nudge. Standard TravelPro 21". Basically this is pure BS. GA was making all this up to get the plane out on-time or even early, but it was unwarranted. Basically making all standard 21" rollers gate checked starting in group 3 on a non-full flight. Totally complaint bag, not overstuffed. And then the threat to deny boarding.
I'm missing the logic of your logic. If there was plenty of bin space, how does stopping to enforce the rules, pausing to have you push your bag into the sizer, issue and affix a bag tag speed things up so they can get the flight out on time? If the flight and bins were going to be full, then yes, early checking of bags prevents the reverse flow of bags already on the plane with no space back to the jetway to be tagged which is a slow process, but in your stated scenery, this was not an issue. So how does the practice of stopping the boarding to enforce the rules in your case fit your statement that it was to push the plane out faster? As to totally compliant bag, with an extra inch given to you, your bag still didn't fit without extra force...seems to me it was larger by more than an inch in at least 1 dimension (usually the 9 inch side.)
Old May 20, 17, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Ripped tag off this time. TONS of bin space on plane. We'll see what happens...
Useful data point to have here -- UX or mainline, what route (or which region), and did the GA come onboard to question you after the bag handlers figured out they were missing your carry-on?
Old May 20, 17, 8:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sfo789 View Post
.... did the GA come onboard to question you after the bag handlers figured out they were missing your carry-on?
For green tag items, the bag handlers have no idea any many were "issued" by the GA. And in many cases you can pick up your own green tag without the GA even aware.
Old May 20, 17, 9:29 pm

For green tag items, the bag handlers have no idea any many were "issued" by the GA. And in many cases you can pick up your own green tag without the GA even aware.

Exactly. Same applies for the hand written white tags for mainline flights. They don't show up in the system until the GA goes back to the computer and manually inputs them (if they even do), which isn't done until the flight is already locked up and closed out.

But even for the regular bag tags that the GAs print off and apply to the bags at the gate (which do show up for the rampers to see in their scanners when loading)...if it's not left on the bridge, then most will just assume the passenger took it on board and not worry about it. I mean, if it's not left on the bridge, then there isn't really anywhere else it could be, right?

As long as the bag is properly stowed in the cabin, no one is going to go into the plane to force it to be checked, whether a tag was printed or not. Especially since it's preferable for the employees working the flight to gate check the least mount of bags possible.
Old May 21, 17, 7:02 am
Original Poster

This was a mainline EWR-DFW flight, and it was gate checked with a bar coded tag (not green tag). While I was a little anxious that someone would come after me, I made it through, no problem.

I think there could be several things going on here. It could be like in my original post where they were thinking (?) that bins might be full at the beginning of Group 3 (!) on a non-full flight (!!) and started preemptively checking in roller bags, but it could be something else too. Could be the typical overzealous GA bag size police, particular at EWR, or could be this new process of preemptively checking in carry-ons. I did miss the boarding announcement, so I have no idea what was announced.

My conclusions:
1. If this happens again, I will rip off my tag again, no hesitation (though may be accompanied by some anxiety, which I hate because it is due to UA's enforcement of arbitrary/fake rules).
2. Don't arrive at gate late, especially at EWR. This is what cost me both times (first time partially due to security/no PreCheck, this time due to me wanting to buy a "real" dinner)
3. Not everyone at UA has learned from the Dao incident (immediate threat to deny boarding when I questioned why I could not bring bag onboard).

Last edited by jonu; May 21, 17 at 7:24 am
Old May 21, 17, 8:30 am
Suspended

Programs: 1K---2,909,450 BIS miles
That's it!!!^

Green tag your carry on - scan your b/p - head down the jet way - palm the tag - place your bag in the overhead --- There's more than one way to skin a cat! ^

Last month in DEN I was threatened with being off-loaded, prior to boarding, because even though I had gone to BKK and back with the same carry-on's, I needed to check one of my small one's, and I was getting very close to "Interferring with a Flight Crew."

GREENIE'S for me from now on!!!

Last edited by MY-OTHER-BROTHER-"TED"; May 21, 17 at 8:37 am
Old May 21, 17, 8:31 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
This is a difficult problem. By the time the F/As know that the bins are full, pass that info to us up front, we call it in to Ops, and Ops calls the gate, the jet bridge is filled with passengers with large carry ons that there is not room for. That causes delays at the end of boarding while a large quantity of bags must be checked.

If the agent is more proactive about checking bags earlier in the process they will surely end up checking bags that could have fit on board.

I don't know the solution. I think this is one of the intended operational benefits of BE fares but we've yet to really see how that will play out.

We now have the Boeing Space Bins in just over a dozen 737s and they will be in all future deliveries. They go a long way toward alleviating, if not eliminating, the problem. I've personally had a completely full 737-800 flight with space bins where there were no on board gate checks. That's a good start.

Originally Posted by MY-OTHER-BROTHER-"TED" View Post
Green tag your carry on - scan your b/p - head down the jet way - palm the tag - place your bag in the overhead --- There's more than one way to skin a cat! ^
No need to palm the green tag. I keep the same green tag on my bag until it starts falling apart.

The computer-generated white checked bag tags are another matter. Once they're printed the system knows about the checked bag. If it's not scanned "on" the bag handlers know that the bag is missing and will be waiting/looking for it.

My suggestion would be to ask the F/A at the boarding door if there is room for your bag in the overhead. If there is, the bag tag can be removed and sent back to the agent to be "un-checked" from the system. Might work best if you ask the agent if this is possible when the bag is being tagged.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 21, 17 at 10:53 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old May 21, 17, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LarryJ View Post
My suggestion would be to ask the F/A at the boarding door if there is room for your bag in the overhead. If there is, the bag tag can be removed and sent back to the agent to be "un-checked" from the system. Might work best if you ask the agent if this is possible when the bag is being tagged.
Are FAs under any compulsion (official policy or social pressure) to go along with the action of the GAs, particularly if the GA has already stated firmly that the bag MUST be checked?
Old May 21, 17, 10:20 am

Are FAs under any compulsion (official policy or social pressure) to go along with the action of the GAs, particularly if the GA has already stated firmly that the bag MUST be checked?
Social pressure, maybe. I don't believe it's an official policy. I've seen some FAs stop people from bringing on bags that have already been checked, despite there being room still. I've also seen some do the exact opposite (though less frequently). I've also seen lead rampers go up into the plane and see if there is still room for bags (in instances where the flight is not full and there should be no reason for there to be any/many gate checks), then take the tags off and have them put the bags on board.

Some GAs will start checking bags after X amount of people have boarded (based on plane type), no matter what. Simply because it makes things quicker and easier for them during the final 5-10 min before departure, to avoid a situation of people getting on the plane, finding out there is no room, then having to swim upstream to get back off the plane and have the agent tag their bag anyway. Last minute gate checks are the #1 cause of short delays, so it makes sense to me that the GA would rather tag a few too many bags and be safe, than not preemptively tag them and take a delay as a result of doing it last minute.

My advice would be the same as LarryJ's. If you're boarding near the end, ask the FA if there is still space. If you want to go the extra step and take the tag off and give it to them so it can be removed from the system, that's nice. But realistically it doesn't really matter, in my eyes.
Old May 21, 17, 11:33 am
Suspended

Programs: 1K---2,909,450 BIS miles
During the final rush to "Push" and close the door there isn't going to be too much personal care to answer one's request for anything, me thinks.

Probably best just to do your own thing at the end of the jet bridge, and not rely on anyone's instantaneous made up opinion! That is unless you want to DYKWIA and wave around your boarding pass to anyone that cares!
Old May 21, 17, 11:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Everytime I'm on the plane while they board the rest of the pax, the primary conversations I hear from the FA and GAs are about how much empty bin space is available. Typically it is constantly monitored and which little space is left, the GA is notified to stop accepting carry-on bags that won't fit below the seat.

Yes, sometimes you get a lazy GA that just checks all the bags versus bothering to find out the real status. Or a lazy FA that doesnt bother to look or has poor eyesight.

If the GA/FA checks all the bags their job is over sooner and they've passed the buck to the baggage handlers

Note, if you are really so confident that there are empty bins and/or really don't want to check your bag, just hide the tag and board with your bag. Worst case you'll get yelled at but you can always play dumb.
Old May 21, 17, 12:01 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
I have no idea.
Old May 21, 17, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

I like the hide the tag idea. Not hard to do under my laptop. And now as willful as ripping it off. Leaves playing dumb on the table.

Search this Thread