Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Invitation to Celebrating United 30 Years in China Event - Anyone else receive one?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Invitation to Celebrating United 30 Years in China Event - Anyone else receive one?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2016, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold

Today I received an invite for a 30 years of United in China event at the Chicago Field Museum to go see the Terracotta warriors. Anyone else get invited to any events like this?

Anyone know if they have food and booze and stuff? thanks
Old Oct 27, 2016, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
30 years in China? Or is that really more like 30 years in Hong Kong? I didn't think UA flew to mainland China until sometime in the last 15 years or so?
Old Oct 27, 2016, 6:44 pm

Programs: DL 3MM/FC/DM LT; LH FT LT; HH DIA
Originally Posted by char777
30 years in China? Or is that really more like 30 years in Hong Kong? I didn't think UA flew to mainland China until sometime in the last 15 years or so?

Flew to Beijing on a United 747SP (the stubby one) in 1988!

Not sure where we departed from, anybody on here remembers?

So that was 28 yrs ago, wow how time flies...just came back on a 747-400 from Beijing to SFO
Old Oct 27, 2016, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
From a quick google search:

April 23, 1985 - UA inked deal to to Buy PA's Pacific system for $750M
Feb. 7, 1986 - UA offically took over PA's Pacific OPs

May 28, 1983 - Start of service to HKG (ORD-SEA?-HKG)
Old Oct 27, 2016, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
They didn't start nonstop US China flights until around 2000 or so. Before, PEK and SHA was served via NRT.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by sinoflyer

And the rest, as they say, is history.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Time flies

Yes, 30 years is about right.

I remember those 747-100 ex-Pan AM aircraft in and out of SHA and PEK (both airports only had one small terminals at the time).

The 747SP was the same aircraft that flew JFK-NRT configured with bigger F and C cabins. The SP was almost exclusively on NRT-PEK.

I seem to remember UA initially did NRT-PEK-SHA in the same aircraft (one flight serving two cities, but cannot carry local traffic between PEK and SHA). That service was brief and took place around late 80s.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 7:37 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Yes, 30 years is about right.

I remember those 747-100 ex-Pan AM aircraft in and out of SHA and PEK (both airports only had one small terminals at the time).

The 747SP was the same aircraft that flew JFK-NRT configured with bigger F and C cabins. The SP was almost exclusively on NRT-PEK.

I seem to remember UA initially did NRT-PEK-SHA in the same aircraft (one flight serving two cities, but cannot carry local traffic between PEK and SHA). That service was brief and took place around late 80s.
When I arrived in US from China in 1984, I took an Air China (called CAAC at that time) flight with multiple stops (PEK-SHA-SFO-JFK). When I went back to visit China in 1985; it was JFK-SFO-PEK-SHA. The customs office in PEK was tiny like some offices. Because of the bilateral agreement, there should be similar flights from US airlines at that time. So, UA (or NW) has flied to China for about 30 years.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 7:51 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Ryu2
They didn't start nonstop US China flights until around 2000 or so. Before, PEK and SHA was served via NRT.
Thanks for that. I guess I was confusing it with the nonstop services, because I remember when UA made a big deal about that. I forgot that the NRT hub used to actually be a hub!
Old Oct 28, 2016, 11:10 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by steveo
Today I received an invite for a 30 years of United in China event at the Chicago Field Museum to go see the Terracotta warriors. Anyone else get invited to any events like this?

Anyone know if they have food and booze and stuff? thanks
I got this too, but on Monday. I'd imagine they have food/drink. The Polaris event at the Willis Tower and this were the first two invites I've gotten, perhaps because I'm about to hit MM?
Old Oct 28, 2016, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by vielflieger
Flew to Beijing on a United 747SP (the stubby one) in 1988!

Not sure where we departed from, anybody on here remembers?

So that was 28 yrs ago, wow how time flies...just came back on a 747-400 from Beijing to SFO
As of the June 5, 1987 timetable, UA was operating an L-1011 (from Pan Am) a couple of days each week from NRT to both PEK and PVG.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by artvandalay
As of the June 5, 1987 timetable, UA was operating an L-1011 (from Pan Am) a couple of days each week from NRT to both PEK and PVG.
You meant SHA because PVG was open in 1999.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 5:51 pm

Programs: DL, AA
I seemed to recall that the first PanAm flight in 1981 back to PEK was operated with an L-1011 from NRT, and that they were able to get into PEK just before the nightly curfew.

Here is a link from the New York Times, from when CAAC started service to SFO on Jan 7, 1981 http://www.nytimes.com/1981/01/08/us...s-resumes.html
Old Oct 28, 2016, 11:19 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
For those who received invites, what date(s) were the event(s) being held?
Old Oct 29, 2016, 1:33 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by sinoflyer

Feb. 7, 1986 - UA offically took over PA's Pacific OPs

May 28, 1983 - Start of service to HKG (ORD-SEA?-HKG)
It was United's Royal Pacific Service, SEA-HKG, NRT and later Seoul Gimpo. My first flight on United HKG-SEA June 1983. I remember their check-in area was next to Pan Am's. United had wanted to get international rights for a long time and finally got approval to fly SEA to three Asian cities. UA had always been a big carrier to Hawaii and called it Royal Hawaiian Service, and then just borrowed that name for the new transpac flights. When UA got PA's Pacific network three years later they had to drop the SEA service.

Originally Posted by char777
33 years in HK, 30 years in the mainland and Taiwan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.