Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

why won't united sell me a global first seat EWR-LHR?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

why won't united sell me a global first seat EWR-LHR?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2017, 6:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Anticipation of a swap to a 2-cabin aircraft is my guess. Better to upgrade late at the gate than downgrade when the cabin doesn't exist.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
Anticipation of a swap to a 2-cabin aircraft is my guess. Better to upgrade late at the gate than downgrade when the cabin doesn't exist.
That would be my guess too.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
That would only make sense if the mods to the new seats were actually happening on time (which they clearly aren't, given they are mothballing 77Ws).

In the end, I got upgraded 1 hour before departure. I really don't see why it couldn't have happened at least 12 hours in advance so that I could've spent the time in GFL. It just seems like an incredible waste of a really great lounge - and UA is wasting a revenue opportunity on a premium route.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I really don't see why it couldn't have happened at least 12 hours in advance so that I could've spent the time in GFL.
But United realized those savings.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
But United realized those savings.
For me, sure. But I'm sure they could make more money on the incremental ticket sales. And the GFL was fully staffed anyways. I doubt they save much money by keeping people out (if any, relative to foregone F sales).
Old Apr 29, 2017, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Plus elimination of employee class, e.g. rather sell the front cabin as business seats.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Does anyone know why UA does not sell Polaris First when they fly 3-class 763s on this route? It seems like they are missing a chance to monetize these seats while they are still around. Always shows F0 from the onset, and then they get filled only by non-revs and people who bother (and don't appear to even try) to apply an upgrade. UA940 is empty in F, and on my flight back on the same bird, I think I will end up as the only person in that class (unless they put all the non-revs there instead of in empty J seats - not sure if they automatically default to highest available class). They also don't upgrade anyone early except at the gate - which is really irritating as well, particularly given that 1K is going to be the best seat available.
Sounds like an improvement over a couple of months ago, when reports were that NRSAs went out in GF but not even a GS could clear a GPU by asking (this seems to be the system setup sometimes for this).

That would only make sense if the mods to the new seats were actually happening on time (which they clearly aren't, given they are mothballing 77Ws).
I think it's also because the route is a mix of 2- and 3-class 767s and they want the freedom to swap them around at will.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 5:55 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
Polaris First Not For Sale - Upgrades Cleared at Airport

I didn't see an applicable existing thread.

I am flying Saturday, June 24th EWR-LHR. 3-class aircraft. Applied a GPU certificate at time of booking and I was waitlisted. GS agent said to call 72 hours prior to the flight to try to clear it. This I did yesterday and had an interesting discussion with the GS agent.

She said that with the pending demise of GF, those seats are no longer sold. She said the aircraft is showing 6 seats available, 0 for sale and 0 for upgrade. She called EWR GS and was told upgrades are cleared at the airport, but I could try to call at T-24 hours and try again.

I didn't ask a lot of questions, but it seems odd that seats would not be for sale. She did say that GF is almost always upgraded and rarely purchased.

Can anyone verify if this is correct? Any recent experiences in upgrading from business to first in Polaris - success ahead of the flight, or at the airport? My only other data point (and probably not relevant) is another EWR-LHR flight last October. There was an aircraft swap to a 3-class plane. I didn't realize this until boarding and it took some effort to get a GS agent on the phone to get me upgraded to GF (using a cert).

Thank you.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 6:25 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Two possibilities:

1. UA believes it may have to swap to a 2-class aircraft, so doesn't want to assign anyone to F that it may subsequently have to downgrade.

2. Because F is on its way out at UA, it wants to allow non-revs a greater opportunity to enjoy it before its final demise. (Yes, I am being sarcastic here.)
Old Jun 22, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Something doesn't seem right with that call with the GS agent. I would HUACA. However, I would also agree with CopperSteve that they may be planning for a swap to a 2-class 777s and have cut back on the GF seats. I would call again.

UA is definitely selling GF on other routes. I think this is a case of a possible aircraft swap
Old Jun 22, 2017, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by seenitall
Two possibilities:

1. UA believes it may have to swap to a 2-class aircraft, so doesn't want to assign anyone to F that it may subsequently have to downgrade.

2. Because F is on its way out at UA, it wants to allow non-revs a greater opportunity to enjoy it before its final demise. (Yes, I am being sarcastic here.)
I vote for #1 .
Old Jun 22, 2017, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by CopperSteve
I didn't see an applicable existing thread.

I am flying Saturday, June 24th EWR-LHR. 3-class aircraft.

Thank you.
The gate agent was incorrect to say that F is no longer sold due phase out of GF. @seenitall was correct; the availability is protected for swap protection from 3-class to 2-class.

you're on UA940? You would be (tied for) #3 on upgrade list as it stands right now.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CopperSteve
She said that with the pending demise of GF, those seats are no longer sold.
This has been the norm for some time on EWR-LHR.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by runner450
The gate agent was incorrect to say that F is no longer sold due phase out of GF. @seenitall was correct; the availability is protected for swap protection from 3-class to 2-class.

you're on UA940? You would be (tied for) #3 on upgrade list as it stands right now.
Yes, I'm on UA940. How can tell where I am on the UG list? Forgive my ignorance, but I do not see the upgrade list populated on the UA app. Thank you.

Last edited by CopperSteve; Jun 22, 2017 at 11:06 am Reason: Typo
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by runner450
Interesting. Good to hear it from the horse's mouth that the reason is swap protection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.