FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   RPU Strategy for P.S. Flight (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1798196-rpu-strategy-p-s-flight.html)

jmw5430 Oct 24, 2016 5:20 am

RPU Strategy for P.S. Flight

Hi All,

I realize this has been discussed in the past, but I can't find a thread more recent than 2 years ago, and since then, things may have changed.

I'm on a P.S. flight this coming Saturday, 10/29, that is currently showing J4 inventory (R0, of course). I've waitlisted for an upgrade with an RPU, and was hoping for some insight around what I should do between T-24 and boarding. Should I continue checking for R inventory? I don't have another RPU to burn if something opens up. Would customer service consider forcing my upgrade should R inventory open up? Anything else I can do to help my chances? The only things I see working in my favor is the fact that it's EWR-SFO on a Saturday morning (fewer business passengers, in theory) and the lack of CPU's on a P.S. flight.

Also, I don't believe there's any way to check my waitlist position, but if there is, would love to hear about that, too.

Thanks, all, for the help!

yyz_atc_qq Oct 24, 2016 5:32 am

Is the PS flight the only leg that day? The RPU comes back if so

PTahCha Oct 24, 2016 7:13 am

The best chance to get upgraded is to check whether they are offering buy-up at check-in. Unless you are GS or 1K with a high fare bucket, or if you're on one of those 6am or 7am flights, chance of clearing upgrade is slim.

Hipplewm Oct 24, 2016 8:33 am

Originally Posted by jmw5430 (Post 27385755)
Hi All,

Also, I don't believe there's any way to check my waitlist position, but if there is, would love to hear about that, too.

Thanks, all, for the help!

IME - they will NOT tell you where you are on the list - they will sometimes volunteer something like there are 3 GS and 11 1K's on the list

Boo_Radley Oct 24, 2016 10:04 am

If you're not liking your chances of being at the top of the UG list, you can call and have your upgrade request cancelled before checking in. Then, in the event that R opens up, you can call in and have them clear you straight away, effectively jumping the queue. This works particularly well for flights later in the day, since there are more missed connections and thus more movement in J inventory.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Oct 24, 2016 10:16 am

Watch for R like a hawk. If you see R>1, call ASAP. Another option, if you're flexible, is to watch for R>1 on another flight and do a same-day change to it assuming your fare class is available. I'd do it by phone so agent can book and grab at same time.

MatthewLAX Oct 24, 2016 10:25 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 27386747)
Watch for R like a hawk. If you see R>1, call ASAP. Another option, if you're flexible, is to watch for R>1 on another flight and do a same-day change to it assuming your fare class is available. I'd do it by phone so agent can book and grab at same time.

This is the best advice.

Kacee Oct 24, 2016 10:27 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 27386747)
I'd do it by phone so agent can book and grab at same time.

You have to do it by phone. The RPU can't be transferred or applied online or via the App.

jmw5430 Oct 27, 2016 5:11 am

Thanks for the insight, all. Just wanted to close the loop...much to my surprise, the RPU actually cleared 2 days in advance. The business-light Saturday AM route must be a factor.