Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2016, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: getagb
Global Services Qualifying Discussion- 2017

Use Global Services 2017 Notifications (ONLY) to report your actual notification. Here is a form for people to fill out once they receive their Global Services qualification notification:

Originally Posted by Global Services Google Form
PLEASE ONLY FILL OUT THE FORM ONCE YOU HAVE QUALIFIED FOR GLOBAL SERVICES!!

Follow the form through and fill out as much as you can. There are a few required fields and a few optional fields. The more data you can provide, the better off we will be for building a prediction model.

You can view the results here:

Originally Posted by Global Services Data 2017
I made the spreadsheet uneditable this year because last year the data became almost unusable. Feel free to copy the data into another spreadsheet to form your own analysis. You will see some nice stats on the "Statistics" tab below.

To help standardize inputs ( and based on reports only UA operated flights are considered for GS), please make reference to
UA PQDs (only PQDs earned in UA operated flights). It takes a little work using the data in Account Summary Details to remove any non-UA operated PQDs.

Likewise UA PQMs, UA BIS and UA CPM.

IF YOU WERE DENIED GLOBAL SERVICES FOR 2017, PLEASE FILL OUT THIS FORM

Originally Posted by Global Services Denial Form
The data from this form will be populated in the same spreadsheet above. There will be indicators on qualifiers and denials within the data (coming soon).

BIS is actual scheduled flight distance (Great Circle Mileage Distance -- GCM) between airports with 500 mile minimum for elites. This is the standard used for Lifetime miles also. Those flying mostly sub-500 segments sometimes prefer to not use the minimum rule.

The definition for CPM is a bit vaguer, especially since CPM is used in multiple different situations.

Believe for the purpose of this thread, GS qualification, folks are using

PQD CPM = UA PQDs / UA BIS

Note there is no direct evidence UA uses this CPM number for GS Qualification but it is a number FTers like to use.

As for BIS, UA does not report this number your account and it needs to be manually tracked.

One way is to make use that PQMs are based on BIS but there may be a multiplier / bonus for high end fares. If always in 2x PQMs, you could divide by 2 to get BIS.

rwsteelers had a good method for determining UA BIS -- the change in Lifetime Miles from the first of the year.

To find your PQDs if >than $12K
Go to MileagePlus activity since my last statement and it is in the "Account summary" table at the top of the page.

Note this is not just the UA operated PQDs (which is commonly believed to be what matters for GS) but rather your total PQDs.

Thread from 2016 - Global Services Qualifications 2016
Print Wikipost

2017 GS Qualifying Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2016, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by FlyHighInTheSky
$0.40 per mile seems to be the threshold between "high" and "low" cpm.

Yes, CPM = PQD/BIS
Are you sure it's not calculated as PQD on UA metal divided by BIS miles on UA metal? I know no one really knows but this seems to make sense to me. I have a lot of PQD that I accumulated buying 016 tickets but flying partners and codeshares. I think I'm probably borderline GS this year because of all the Europe-Asia and Intra-Asia travel I had this year where UA just doesn't fly.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by iflyabunch
Are you sure it's not calculated as PQD on UA metal divided by BIS miles on UA metal? I know no one really knows but this seems to make sense to me. I have a lot of PQD that I accumulated buying 016 tickets but flying partners and codeshares. I think I'm probably borderline GS this year because of all the Europe-Asia and Intra-Asia travel I had this year where UA just doesn't fly.
Definitely UA PQD/UA BIS for GS consideration. All GS qualifications are based off flights on UA metal and the associated spend.

CPM in general is calculated by dividing spend by distance flown.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by Lawyerneering
Thanks, Kirkwood. I assume with year to date PQD of $51K at 78 CPM (with a few more trips scheduled), I should get in this year?
You should be good.... First week of January.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by FlyHighInTheSky
Definitely UA PQD/UA BIS for GS consideration. All GS qualifications are based off flights on UA metal and the associated spend.

CPM in general is calculated by dividing spend by distance flown.
With an absolute emphasis on United metal. These are the only PQD that count.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 7:30 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM
Originally Posted by jjmoore
With an absolute emphasis on United metal. These are the only PQD that count.
So even JV flights don't count? I thought there was revenue sharing with these and RDMs are based on spend and not distance.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 8:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Originally Posted by JDT1955
So even JV flights don't count? I thought there was revenue sharing with these and RDMs are based on spend and not distance.
Nope, according to second-hand info. UA metal only.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 9:48 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
RDM earnings are no different for JV flights -- earnings based on ticket stock and flight operator. JV flights make no difference to the passenger/benefits and apparently no difference for GS metrics.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They don't count for lifetime miles either.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, Marriott LT Platinum, SPG platinum
Dilemma

I had earlier posted on this thread that I will end up this year with around $55k PQD ($50k on UA) and 300k PQM. Based on some last minute changes in my travel patterns, I am now sitting at $64k PQD ($55k on UA) and close to 330k PQM.

Now here is my dilemma:

I am currently sitting at $.31 CPM, which I know is on the lower side. But I am done with most of my international travel (70% was in paid business class) and have a few domestic trips left that I could take on UA which would get me another $2k in UA PQD but will drop my CPM to under $.30.

So, is PQD more important or trying to keep my CPM above $.30 and try and fly WN for my domestic flight as it is more convenient for my travel patterns for remaining flight ?

Thoughts ?
Old Nov 12, 2016, 1:20 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by smfflyer
I had earlier posted on this thread that I will end up this year with around $55k PQD ($50k on UA) and 300k PQM. Based on some last minute changes in my travel patterns, I am now sitting at $64k PQD ($55k on UA) and close to 330k PQM.

Now here is my dilemma:

I am currently sitting at $.31 CPM, which I know is on the lower side. But I am done with most of my international travel (70% was in paid business class) and have a few domestic trips left that I could take on UA which would get me another $2k in UA PQD but will drop my CPM to under $.30.

So, is PQD more important or trying to keep my CPM above $.30 and try and fly WN for my domestic flight as it is more convenient for my travel patterns for remaining flight ?

Thoughts ?
Assuming you're based out of SMF from your handle, I'd say your odds are quite excellent as they stand. I don't think anyone can answer your CPM question definitively.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 1:49 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Thoughts ?
PQD more important.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 2:30 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium

Now here is my dilemma:

Thoughts ?
I think your CPM is high enough and PQD will matter more.

Nobody knows for sure but I think there are three factors.

1) Your CPM has to be above a certain number (e.g. 25 cents per mile)
2) Assuming #1, your PQD needs to be above some number which varies year to year. It appeared to be in the $50K range last year.
3) People with a very high cpm will make it with lower PQD numbers.

This is all a complete guess based on when I have and have not made it.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 7:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: MPlus,OW,Hotels.com

Now here is my dilemma:

Thoughts ?
I was interested as my topline numbers are very similar to yours so I did the CPM calc for the first time. I will be at around 330k miles and 57k.My CPM is at 39(on united metal)I have another 25k on*A which I excluded from the calculation .Overall I am down about 10% with spend primarily due to network contraction.In a normal year it would have been more but I have done a lot of travel Japan this year which kept it up.95% of travel is in paid though discounted business class.

Last edited by tryintogohome; Nov 12, 2016 at 7:34 pm
Old Nov 12, 2016, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, Marriott LT Platinum, SPG platinum
Originally Posted by tryintogohome
Overall I am down about 10% with spend primarily due to network contraction.In a normal year it would have been more but I have done a lot of travel Japan this year which kept it up.95% of travel is in paid though discounted business class.
tryintogohome, Are you a GS already? based on your comment of 10% down this year, you should have comfortably made GS last year with your PQD/PQM combination.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 12, 2016 at 8:29 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Nov 12, 2016, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott (Plat Premier, LT Plat)

Now here is my dilemma:

Thoughts ?
You should easily qualify for GS. I'm not sure why people make a big deal about CPM. I've qualified with $0.28CPM in the past. Don't worry - You'll def. get in

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.