Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated FRA connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated FRA connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2016, 10:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FL390
On the inbound flight to the EU you will have to clear customs and collect/recheck luggage at your first arrival airport: MUC.
The OP's itinerary stops in FRA before MUC but that doesn't matter because one does not reclaim bags at the first port of entry in Europe. Bags transfer through no problem. Claim them at the final destination, assuming they are checked through. You do clear immigration at the point of entry into Schengen.

And to the OP's query, I'd say 2.5 hours is more than enough time to immigrate, collect bags and recheck them.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by docbert
Personally I've never had problems with LH when taking my normal US carryon limits - one roller bag that is right on the US limits (and well about 7kg), and a second "laptop" bag.
+1

Countless LH flights and they have never questioned my rollaboard and backpack. There are IME a lot fewer pax with rollaboards on LH flights, so there is presumably no need to strictly enforce limits.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 11:33 am

Programs: United-GOLD, AA
Unhappy SFO-FRA; FRA-MUC-NAP r/t

Yes, I did ask this question before, but I hadn't realized the EconLite carryon limits which are: 1 bag up to 8kg. I also have a small "legal" backpack. My experience is that the bins are minuscule on intra-EU flights, so even if they are being "nice" there's nowhere to put the bag. My bag is 22" US limit. When did EU change to 20"? In 2015, LHR (which I consider the most restrictive) still allowed 22".

So let's say worse case because I am on TWO SEPARATE TICKETS: one is US-EU, second is EU connectors to NAP.
SFO-FRA; FRA-MUC-FRA: let's assume I'll have to check bag in FRA or MUC (latter big problem b/c Lufthansa has only a 45" layover). Coming back: same problem, will have to grab bag in FRA, then get to FRA-SFO flight.

Should I rebook the Lufthansa EU connectors to/from NAP? And if so, how much time in-between? What's your best advice here? I'd rather be aggravated waiting around than freaked out fearing missed flight.

And if you are wondering why I booked 2 tickets, its because UA pricing on one ticket was astronomical, with 8 hour layovers.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
On the inbound flight to the EU you will have to clear customs and collect/recheck luggage at your first arrival airport: MUC. MUC-NAP will be a local EU flight and you wont have to go through NAP customs, which is good because it's tiny there and the queue can be massive.
This is incorrect, not least because the first Schengen (EU is not relevant in this context) entry point is FRA, so there is an immigration check. You are confusing this with customs, which would ordinarily not happen if you had checked luggage as you are not entering Germany, just transiting. To be clear, you do not collect/recheck luggage at your first Schengen port of entry if you are transiting (in normal circumstances).

Originally Posted by pbh220
Should I rebook the Lufthansa EU connectors to/from NAP? And if so, how much time in-between? What's your best advice here? I'd rather be aggravated waiting around than freaked out fearing missed flight.
Are you asking if you should rebook your tickets to allow you more time in between your separate tickets? I wouldn't bother. Your FRA situation looks ok to me, and 2.5 hours on the return should be enough time even with two tickets and a checked bag which you will need to reclaim. I also wouldn't worry too much about your carry-on. You'll be fine.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 23, 2016 at 1:47 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Oct 23, 2016, 1:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by pbh220
My experience is that the bins are minuscule on intra-EU flights, so even if they are being "nice" there's nowhere to put the bag.
On what airlines and aircraft have you found this to be true? Most of my intra-European LH flights have been on an Airbus A3xx, and I've found the bins to be identical in size to those on US carriers.

Yes, technically the weight limit is a preposterous 8kg per bag, but in my experience it's only enforced if you ask about it.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 1:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
On what airlines and aircraft have you found this to be true? Most of my intra-European LH flights have been on an Airbus A3xx, and I've found the bins to be identical in size to those on US carriers.

Yes, technically the weight limit is a preposterous 8kg per bag, but in my experience it's only enforced if you ask about it.
Actually, the LH A320/19/21 fleet - for the most part - has slightly deeper bins than many other carriers. I have no explanation for this, but I have a Tumi roller suitcase that fits at right angles on nearly all LH short-haul fleet (I'm compiling a list of airframes where not), but not on most BA aircraft. I actually measured it once, and BA's bins are about 2cm less deep (it may also be that LH has more height at the far end.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 1:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Actually, the LH A320/19/21 fleet - for the most part - has slightly deeper bins than many other carriers.
Fair enough; I was just puzzled by OP's statement that bins on intra-European flights are generally "minuscule." Unless we're talking about regional aircraft, I've never experienced that myself.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Fair enough; I was just puzzled by OP's statement that bins on intra-European flights are generally "minuscule." Unless we're talking about regional aircraft, I've never experienced that myself.
I have only seen the tiny bins on the discount carriers. Those tiny bins are not large enough for a standard roller bag.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 1:40 pm
Suspended

Just for the record, I wasn't trying to contradict you, just emphasising your point with semi-factual data points.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 2:49 pm

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
On the inbound flight to the EU you will have to clear customs and collect/recheck luggage at your first arrival airport: MUC. MUC-NAP will be a local EU flight and you wont have to go through NAP customs, which is good because it's tiny there and the queue can be massive. ...
I don't believe this is correct. I've always collected my checked baggage at my EU destination airport. You will go through passport control in Munich but your bags will go to your destination automatically, you just find your next gate. You don't check-in again, as you should already have your boarding pass, just find your next gate or go to the Senator Lounge, if you are Gold or above.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 23, 2016 at 2:55 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Oct 23, 2016, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Only once on arriving in EU have I run afoul of the 8kg carryon. It was a Swiss flight and they were pretty much checking all the rollaboards that were over weight.

I live in constant fear returning from eu since I have global entry and fly to Dulles. If they take my rollaboard I'm looking at significantly more time sitting and waiting at IAD.

So I usually prepare to take something out of carry on, like a sweater or sweatshirt if called on it.

This had also only happened but once. Again Swiss not LH.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 3:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fivevsone
.... This had also only happened but once. Again Swiss not LH.
LH @ BRN (E195) insisted the I lighten my rollaboard (shared with my wife). I took out a small backpack and made two items for two people. Got the carry-on sticker and walked away 20 feet and put the backpack back in the rollaboard.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA GS(1.8MM), AA G(1.7MM),Marriott LT Plat, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz Presidents C
Originally Posted by fivevsone
Only once on arriving in EU have I run afoul of the 8kg carryon. It was a Swiss flight and they were pretty much checking all the rollaboards that were over weight.

I live in constant fear returning from eu since I have global entry and fly to Dulles. If they take my rollaboard I'm looking at significantly more time sitting and waiting at IAD.

So I usually prepare to take something out of carry on, like a sweater or sweatshirt if called on it.

This had also only happened but once. Again Swiss not LH.
Had a similar experience on Austrian...
Old Oct 23, 2016, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Happens all the time on Aer Lingus. I have stopped bringing a rollerboard when connecting with them as they are very very vigilant (and not easy to sway).
Old Oct 24, 2016, 10:33 am

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
I had to check my carry-on on Austrian on the last leg of a flight recently. No big deal, as I had a checked bag to pick up anyway. However, since I wanted that bag available for my return journey, I made sure I packed much more carefully on the way back. No issues carrying on for that direction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.