Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

It is getting tougher and tougher to do 5+ hr. flts. in narrow-bodies.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

It is getting tougher and tougher to do 5+ hr. flts. in narrow-bodies.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2016, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
...and some of thse people are doing most of that next week! (The event is full)
See you there

I agree the 738/739 seats are flat out terrible. Just flew 738s ORD-LAX-OGG and my butt wasn't so happy getting off the OGG flight. A pillow (or 4) would definitely help, but the seats need to go at some point. That said, I haven't been on a plane with "new domestic F" yet...and the reviews are either scary or exciting. Will have to figure that out once I get the chance to fly on one.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
Sad to see first tow flights between LAX - IAD 737-900

Tough flight even in first
Old Jan 11, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
Agreed, even in first. The new seats are awful
Old Jan 11, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
I understand the OP's pain. I watched the down-gauging of flights from Maui to the west coast. At first there were plentiful DC-10s and 767's, the 10 later replaced by the 777. Then it seemed more 757's were creeping into the schedule. Now those 57's look like luxury liners compared to the 37's!

The ultimate buzzkill was on my last flight through LAX, I was in T8 to get my barbie jet to ABQ, and there was a flight to Maui! A 37 in amongst the CR-200s and CR-700s. Oh the humanity!

As others have pointed out, there are wide-bodies available, at least from HNL... My last trip to HI, I flew a 777 DEN-HNL, with the old C-seats. It was nice for the day trip.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
738 last night LAX - LIH, FC, seats tough, not much IFE, spoke with a co worker and he assures that the options to LIH from LAX are just as poor with other airlines
Old Jan 27, 2017, 7:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: SkyMiles, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, Rapid Rewards, Global Entry
I've said it before and I'll say it again, UA has a fetish for 737's, particularly the 737-800. Have had many flights scheduled to be on 737-900's/757-200's/757-300's only for them to be 737-800's either a day before or even an hour before. If they could fly them around the world, they would have an entire 737 fleet a la WN.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by eng3
Yes it is sad that you can fly from NYC to china on a 737
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Indeed.

I flew BOS-IAD-LAX-HNL-MAJ-KWA-KSA-PNI-TKK-GUM-HKG-SGN-HKG-GUM-NRT-ICN, on 737s last month and had a blast
Sounds like my kind of week!!

Originally Posted by transportprof
Or BOS-IAH-SFO-HNL-MAJ-KWA-PNI-TKK-GUM-PVG on 737s!

United may hold the "distinction" of being the airline that can take you farthest across the globe on an all 737 itinerary.
I have to take issue with this, the only people that would fly BOS-PVG on a 737 are ones like the people on this thread who think it would be a fun experience (myself included) or people that have a very bad travel agent

You can create a Round the World itinerary on a 737 if you were creative enough.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Lani1
738 last night LAX - LIH, FC, seats tough, not much IFE, spoke with a co worker and he assures that the options to LIH from LAX are just as poor with other airlines
Delta is running refurbed 757s (75H) LAX-LIH: AVOD & USB power at every seat, satellite TV, drop-down bins, and satellite wifi.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 8:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: SkyMiles, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, Rapid Rewards, Global Entry
Originally Posted by N104UA

I have to take issue with this, the only people that would fly BOS-PVG on a 737 are ones like the people on this thread who think it would be a fun experience (myself included) or people that have a very bad travel agent

You can create a Round the World itinerary on a 737 if you were creative enough.
That can either be a good or a bad thing. If I picked those flights myself and wanted to do it, there is no problem with it. If UA booked someone like that who only flies a couple times a year and is expecting "big" widebody planes, they are in for an unpleasant surprise.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 8:59 pm

Programs: NZ *E
Totally echo the sentiments on the 737 F seats -- even on fairly new airframes with the sky interior, they're still super uncomfortable with very little padding.

The old A320 seats feel much more comfortable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.