FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Is There A Better Way To Find United Codeshare Or Partner Flights (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1797012-there-better-way-find-united-codeshare-partner-flights.html)

seat38a Oct 17, 2016 2:18 pm

Is There A Better Way To Find United Codeshare Or Partner Flights

Yesterday, I booked my flight for our trip next year. Instead of booking through United.com, I had to book it directly through Swiss's website. So that was paid business class ticket x 4 that United missed out on.

My question is: Is there another way to find flights on United.com than the normal search on the site? While I'm finding better rates when searching directly via the operating airlines website (checked both Air Canada, Lufthansa and Swiss), united.com gives some really awkward routings many with 2 stops and only 30 min to connect.

mduell Oct 17, 2016 3:18 pm

This is a common request/frustration given how poorly the UA.sux flight search engine works.

With google flights you can filter by *A and then click to book on UA.sux, but you have to have at least one UA-marketable segment in your selection (even if you don't select the UA marketed version during your search) to get google to offer the book on UA.sux option.

seat38a Oct 17, 2016 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by mduell (Post 27358586)
This is a common request/frustration given how poorly the UA.sux flight search engine works.

With google flights you can filter by *A and then click to book on UA.sux, but you have to have at least one UA-marketable segment in your selection (even if you don't select the UA marketed version during your search) to get google to offer the book on UA.sux option.

Thanks for this! It is amazing, how United wants you to purchase flights through them, but pretty much you can't and have to go through their partner sites. Not sure what the revenue split is between United and partners, but for sure they must get the short end of the stick when one has to book via the operating airline directly. That was 4 J tickets they lost revenue on.

mduell Oct 17, 2016 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by seat38a (Post 27358863)
Thanks for this! It is amazing, how United wants you to purchase flights through them, but pretty much you can't and have to go through their partner sites. Not sure what the revenue split is between United and partners, but for sure they must get the short end of the stick when one has to book via the operating airline directly. That was 4 J tickets they lost revenue on.

My understanding is the opposite, they make next to nothing on tickets operated entirely by partners, which is why they don't want to offer entirely-partner itineraries in the first place.

Kacee Oct 17, 2016 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by seat38a (Post 27358863)
Not sure what the revenue split is between United and partners, but for sure they must get the short end of the stick when one has to book via the operating airline directly. That was 4 J tickets they lost revenue on.

I don't think that matters at all to UA in this situation, where the revenues will be divided per the JV agreement.

MattRSFO Oct 19, 2017 6:11 pm

This is incredible. Have been trying to find a fare on Lufthansa that I know exists, but can't get United to pull it up. Helped me find even cheaper options.