Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Anyone Else Hate the Onboard "Duty Free" Wake-Up Call?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2016, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

So this always seems to happen to me:
I’m in an aisle in E+ on a transatlantic flight.
Meal service is over, cabin lights are off, drifting off to sleep
And then a flight attendant comes up the aisle calling “Duty Free” and holding the magazine with a flashlight pointing at it.

The guy on my IAD-ZRH last week was like a drill sergeant barking “DUTY FREE! DUTY FREE! DUTY FREE!” so loud I couldn't believe it.

Why does UA even bother with this? In dozens and dozens of trans-atlantics I have never seen anyone buy anything, so purchase volume must be way low.
And doesn’t the fuel burn from carrying the extra weight offset any small gain they make?

Please United, let me sleep!
Old Oct 17, 2016, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by shdflyer
So this always seems to happen to me:
I’m in an aisle in E+ on a transatlantic flight.
Meal service is over, cabin lights are off, drifting off to sleep
And then a flight attendant comes up the aisle calling “Duty Free” and holding the magazine with a flashlight pointing at it.

The guy on my IAD-ZRH last week was like a drill sergeant barking “DUTY FREE! DUTY FREE! DUTY FREE!” so loud I couldn't believe it.

Why does UA even bother with this? In dozens and dozens of trans-atlantics I have never seen anyone buy anything, so purchase volume must be way low.
And doesn’t the fuel burn from carrying the extra weight offset any small gain they make?

i agree, it is ridiculous, especially on those brutally short east coast TATL flights.

if they insist on continuing to do it, it would be more civil if they did it after the breakfast service.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 1:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Ear plugs and/or noise canceling headset (and some smoothing background music) are key essentials for any flight involving sleeping. And eye shades.

Never leave home without them.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 1:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
i agree, it is ridiculous, especially on those brutally short east coast TATL flights.

if they insist on continuing to do it, it would be more civil if they did it after the breakfast service.
I don't think it's practical to do duty-free sales at the end of the flight since the purser must do duty free paperwork before landing.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Ear plugs and/or noise canceling headset (and some smoothing background music) are key essentials for any flight involving sleeping. And eye shades.
\
True, but my ear plugs were almost useless for the Drill Sergeant yelling "DUTY FREE!"
Old Oct 17, 2016, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA, HA
Originally Posted by shdflyer
...purchase volume must be way low.

Agree with annoyance, although for me it's been less bad (luck of the draw, heavier sleeper, who knows).

Am curious about the cost/revenue equation for performing inflight Duty Free. Don't forget the missed opportunity to carry other revenue-generating cargo in place of Duty Free stuff. Though maybe not much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.