Wiki Posts
Search

United Club stats - membership up 4%

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2016, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JaysonW
Are they switching club memberships or dropping them entirely?
Mostly picking up or switching to using priority pass via CSR or Amex Plat.

Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
I'm out in Feb after more years than I can count. Crowding, construction and often double coverage from other means. The theory that today's customer cares about what the company is doing for the future customer doesn't do anything for me. It's losing this customer.
Based at a hub we don't connect much, don't go to the airport early, and of all the issues the straws that broke the camels back was the food and complimentary booze downgrade.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by DCEsquire
I'm shocked there is *any* debate about this. I enjoyed my UA Club membership tons years ago. My friends would laugh that I would show up so early for flights so that I could enjoy a wedge of cheese and a soda at the airport.

Given that I get UA lounge access internationally without paying (LHR is a *gem* of a club) I looked around. Amex Plat made sense to me. Between priority pass and Centurion lounges it's a much better value...but it's really going to depend on where you go. There are other cards that offer other benefits.

I'm really shocked that UA offers anything worth what they offer. Maybe some people think it's really exclusive to belong. I don't understand it.
I think it is a function of what you remember from the Red Carpet Clubs versus what the current club-type environment is.

For those who go back a few years, the service and availability of Red Carpet Clubs for UA's network was a draw in and of itself - the cost of the membership initiation fee, the yearly method of payment (miles vs. cash), guesting folks in, etc. were many of the things talked about here on FT. Also the idea of loyalty, what it meant to be an elite on UA, the red carpet you'd walk over to board the aircraft if you were sufficiently statused, etc. - contributed to what then Red Carpet Clubs meant to pmUA.

Now that UACO has settled in, there's bit more competition for the club dollar in most airports, the United Clubs aren't unique nor provide a respite from an airport's hubbub, Club credit cards have enabled far more to gain the club experience (as it is now), who's behind the agent counters matters less than it used to (I mean, Annie had her own fan club, many folks knew the bartenders on a first name basis as well as the utility of today's United app).

For instance, the initiation fee is now $50 or 7,000 miles. That scares few if any folks now. I also could bring my whole family including my wife and 3 kids and feel welcome.

Things have certainly changed even since when the two airlines "merged" much less for those who go back multiple decades who remember a different airline world.

David
Old Oct 17, 2016, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
it blows my mind that people pay this much money for UA club memberships.

i can't even convince myself to join the AS board room despite a nearly 50% lower price than the UA club.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
it blows my mind that people pay this much money for UA club memberships.

i can't even convince myself to join the AS board room despite a nearly 50% lower price than the UA club.
Yup, my reaction to the headline was

"But why?"
Old Oct 17, 2016, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Originally Posted by DELee
I think it is a function of what you remember from the Red Carpet Clubs versus what the current club-type environment is.

For those who go back a few years, the service and availability of Red Carpet Clubs for UA's network was a draw in and of itself - the cost of the membership initiation fee, the yearly method of payment (miles vs. cash), guesting folks in, etc. were many of the things talked about here on FT. Also the idea of loyalty, what it meant to be an elite on UA, the red carpet you'd walk over to board the aircraft if you were sufficiently statused, etc. - contributed to what then Red Carpet Clubs meant to pmUA.

Now that UACO has settled in, there's bit more competition for the club dollar in most airports, the United Clubs aren't unique nor provide a respite from an airport's hubbub, Club credit cards have enabled far more to gain the club experience (as it is now), who's behind the agent counters matters less than it used to (I mean, Annie had her own fan club, many folks knew the bartenders on a first name basis as well as the utility of today's United app).

For instance, the initiation fee is now $50 or 7,000 miles. That scares few if any folks now. I also could bring my whole family including my wife and 3 kids and feel welcome.

Things have certainly changed even since when the two airlines "merged" much less for those who go back multiple decades who remember a different airline world.

David
Well... I think the credit cards are probably the biggest factor in crowding; especially given how much the CC companies push it relative to what UA would do on their own.

We have but to look just North to see how AC does it ,with various tiers of membership (MLL only, MLL int'l, MLL+ Star, etc); needless to say I'd worry a great deal about emulating a customer unfriendly airline like AC.

I would also be careful about waxing too nostalgic for the RCCs which had no comp alcohol, though I personally don't bother to drink the rotgut served at the UCs, I did prefer to burn the chits on premium alcohol.

I do think that overall and over the long-run, its better to have more club members than not, whose greater numbers can justify more real estate in more airports.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 11:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by entropy
W
I do think that overall and over the long-run, its better to have more club members than not, whose greater numbers can justify more real estate in more airports.
I'm sure that many of us that have been denied entry at overcrowded clubs from time to time might beg to differ.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 11:32 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
I just don't see the draw behind the United Clubs. Perhaps too many visits to the C7 club at IAD after the snacks have run out or having read too many times on FT about the rodents in the downstairs C13 club at IAD. I just don't see why anyone would want to pay several hundred dollars to become a United Club member. Too much inconsistency...

Of course, most of my travel is international; so, I get club access anyways as a result of my status.

The only area where club access may be handy (and potentially worth a one-time fee or whatever) is in IRROPS service recovery. Of course, paying several hundred dollars a year to be able to be rerouted is probably still not worth it when you can just call someone up on the Premier line.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 11:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Originally Posted by sannmann
I just don't see the draw behind the United Clubs. Perhaps too many visits to the C7 club at IAD after the snacks have run out or having read too many times on FT about the rodents in the downstairs C13 club at IAD. I just don't see why anyone would want to pay several hundred dollars to become a United Club member. Too much inconsistency...

Of course, most of my travel is international; so, I get club access anyways as a result of my status.

The only area where club access may be handy (and potentially worth a one-time fee or whatever) is in IRROPS service recovery. Of course, paying several hundred dollars a year to be able to be rerouted is probably still not worth it when you can just call someone up on the Premier line.
I think you answered your own question. Where some have more domestic travel the UC can be of great use.. and can be helpful in irrops situations.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Apart from LHR they are all sub-standard. I certainly would not pay.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 12:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Apart from LHR they are all sub-standard. I certainly would not pay.
I was flying to/from BOS for about a year and the membership seemed worth it. Now I'm flying to/from EWR and I don't even go into the clubs as there is no where to sit anyway. I will be moving over to PHL soon. Hopefully that club is better.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 12:58 pm

Perhaps the devaluation of Platinum status may move the needle downward - I'm among the group who has held on to Pres Plus card after PQD implementation primarily to get the Platinum waiver. Now that there's no reason to be Plat, this may be my last year. But I will admit the value of club access has significantly increased over the past year (Even HNL has finally gotten on board with a larger spread), so who knows...
Old Oct 17, 2016, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Whenever one of these threads get started I always breathe a sigh of relief that I bought a lifetime PC membership in 2010. I realize that the lifetime membership may not grant me immunity from downgrades, but it exempts me from the annual ritual of evaluating the cost-benefit gap when the annual fee is approaching.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 1:57 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Originally Posted by SS255
Whenever one of these threads get started I always breathe a sigh of relief that I bought a lifetime PC membership in 2010. I realize that the lifetime membership may not grant me immunity from downgrades, but it exempts me from the annual ritual of evaluating the cost-benefit gap when the annual fee is approaching.
^^ I bought my lifetime PC in 2006 and have gotten my money's worth. Recently, I had the first opportunity to try the LH and TK lounges at IAD B using my *Gold status and they are MUCH better than any of the UA lounges; and they had seats.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 1:03 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by Wx4caster
Perhaps the devaluation of Platinum status may move the needle downward - I'm among the group who has held on to Pres Plus card after PQD implementation primarily to get the Platinum waiver. Now that there's no reason to be Plat, this may be my last year. But I will admit the value of club access has significantly increased over the past year (Even HNL has finally gotten on board with a larger spread), so who knows...
Totally feel you there. Lifetime UC + PP. Also a Plat who doesn't see the value.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 3:33 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by SS255
Ditto. I "bought" a lifetime Eastern Ionosphere Club membership in the early 90s with 100,000 EA FT miles. The EA membership transferred to CO Presidents Club and then to UA with the merger. I wish my financial investments were so good!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.