Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

additional items that are acceptable to carry on united?

Old Oct 15, 16, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

I just want to clarify what I can take on an international trip using UNITED (US to Australia).

1 carry on (no weight limit???)
1 purse/laptop/briefcase/backpack

my question is can I bring ALL of these? Would they frown upon that??
(these are listed on their site as additional items allowed)

jacket
books
airport food
diaper bag (would they refuse if not packed with diapers?)
breast pump (I may try to stuff my nursing pillow in it..)
carseat
1 stroller per child (collapsible, but do you think I could get away with putting a foldable hook-on highchair in the stroller bottom basket? It won't fall out, but would they mind?)

We are moving so it is a big deal what we can manage to take with us, saving space in our luggage for other items.
Old Oct 15, 16, 4:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Moving to the United forum for further discussion. Thanks. /JY1024, TravelBuzz moderator
Old Oct 15, 16, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by aryaya View Post
I just want to clarify what I can take on an international trip using UNITED (US to Australia).

1 carry on (no weight limit???)
1 purse/laptop/briefcase/backpack

my question is can I bring ALL of these? Would they frown upon that??
(these are listed on their site as additional items allowed)

jacket
books
airport food
diaper bag (would they refuse if not packed with diapers?)
breast pump (I may try to stuff my nursing pillow in it..)
carseat
1 stroller per child (collapsible, but do you think I could get away with putting a foldable hook-on highchair in the stroller bottom basket? It won't fall out, but would they mind?)

We are moving so it is a big deal what we can manage to take with us, saving space in our luggage for other items.
All that. With an infant, you're going to get a lot of latitude. There is a weight limit on carry-on stipulated by overhead bin capacity, but any challenge by airport staff will be for bag dimensions.
Old Oct 15, 16, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA and SQ; Hilton, Fairmont, Marriott, Rydges Priority
just be aware that if you are flying domestically in Australia carry on limits are considerably less than allowed in the USA eg. weight 7kg (15lbs) and strictly enforced.
good to read up on the airlines' web sites, esp the LCCs like Jetstar and Tiger, to get details
Old Oct 15, 16, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
All that. With an infant, you're going to get a lot of latitude. There is a weight limit on carry-on stipulated by overhead bin capacity, but any challenge by airport staff will be for bag dimensions.
could you explain that overhead bin capacity limit to me? I don't want to find myself with a carry-on they are going to refuse.
Old Oct 15, 16, 11:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
could you explain that overhead bin capacity limit to me? ....
UA Carryon size is covered in the same web pages

As mentioned earlier any connecting airlines can have different carryon rules.
Old Oct 15, 16, 11:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
could you explain that overhead bin capacity limit to me? I don't want to find myself with a carry-on they are going to refuse.
You'd have to stuff if with a ton of bricks and even then they may not notice lol
All they're going to care about is the HxWxL of the bags. You won't see scales around the gates like other carriers that enforce weight limits.
If you're going beyond MEL/SYD you may run into some issues.
Old Oct 16, 16, 12:18 am

Programs: UA 1K
I've moved flying on United, with a 2.5yo kid and a cat.

There are only two red flags that I see.

1. The foldable highchair in the stroller bottom basket. Unless the basket is sealed you should worry about the possibility that the highchair will fall out as UAs baggage handlers move/toss the stroller around.
2. The diaper bag would be a problem if it's not actually used for diapers. But diapers for a kid that uses them on the flight + other stuff should be fine.

I also noticed one possible way you could bring more stuff. Are you buying a seat for any child? If so, keep in mind that they get the full complement of carry on luggage. (namely suitcase + backpack + airport purchases). I assume that you've thought that through, and am just pointing it out on the off chance that you haven't, because it's a lot of extra stuff you could bring.

In my experience, it was an ungodly hassle to move everything I had, but I just made sure to avoid creating a traffic jam when getting on and (especially) off the plane.
Old Oct 17, 16, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by endrond View Post
I've moved flying on United, with a 2.5yo kid and a cat.

There are only two red flags that I see.

1. The foldable highchair in the stroller bottom basket. Unless the basket is sealed you should worry about the possibility that the highchair will fall out as UAs baggage handlers move/toss the stroller around.
2. The diaper bag would be a problem if it's not actually used for diapers. But diapers for a kid that uses them on the flight + other stuff should be fine.

I also noticed one possible way you could bring more stuff. Are you buying a seat for any child? If so, keep in mind that they get the full complement of carry on luggage. (namely suitcase + backpack + airport purchases). I assume that you've thought that through, and am just pointing it out on the off chance that you haven't, because it's a lot of extra stuff you could bring.

In my experience, it was an ungodly hassle to move everything I had, but I just made sure to avoid creating a traffic jam when getting on and (especially) off the plane.
Thanks! I haven't flown in about a decade so it all feels a bit overwhelming! We will be using my other childs seat ticket for checked/carryon/backpack stuff too.
Old Oct 18, 16, 8:35 am

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Recently on UA I was carrying a carry-on suitcase, a laptop bag and prior to boarding I got my bose headphones out (with case) of my carry-on so as to not hold people up getting it out when I boarded. Anyway I was 'challenged' by the gate agent to put them back into the bag prior to moving past the gate. At first I thought she was joking (I've never been challenged before on any airline regarding this), then she stated that UA could be fined (I guess by the DOT) $10K if I didn't comply. I complied, however I don't know what the actual rules are...
Old Oct 18, 16, 9:35 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVPG, Marriott Plat, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by ermintrude View Post
Recently on UA I was carrying a carry-on suitcase, a laptop bag and prior to boarding I got my bose headphones out (with case) of my carry-on so as to not hold people up getting it out when I boarded. Anyway I was 'challenged' by the gate agent to put them back into the bag prior to moving past the gate. At first I thought she was joking (I've never been challenged before on any airline regarding this), then she stated that UA could be fined (I guess by the DOT) $10K if I didn't comply. I complied, however I don't know what the actual rules are...
You could have declared them "merchandise purchased st the airport". It seems there is no limit of home many shopping bags of stuff you can carry on if you look at the carry on rules.
Old Oct 18, 16, 10:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Originally Posted by ermintrude View Post
Or whether DOT would actually have the authority to fine them. Technically I suppose your headphones didn't come within an exemption for going beyond two carryons (unlike my bag of newspapers and magazines to catch up on, which when challenged on I told the GA was "reasonable amounts of reading material")
Old Oct 18, 16, 11:18 am

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
I agree you'll get a lot of latitude with an infant, and as long as there's at least some baby stuff--broadly construed--in the diaper bag, you should be fine. You will fold the strollers at the end of the jetway and they'll end up in the belly of the plane, probably along with car seats you won't be using on board. If you intend to use a car seat on board, be sure it has the FAA certification sticker on the side (I have been checked a few times, though mostly on UX).

There are a lot of good tips on long flights with young children in the Travel with Children forum.

Search this Thread