Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

OZ (Asiana) award booking experiences, blackout dates. seat assignments, ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OZ (Asiana) award booking experiences, blackout dates. seat assignments, ...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2019, 12:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by azj
What I want to do is pre-fill any info in my record and to be able to print or at least view my booking on an Asiana platform so I can attempt to check my bag thru to Asiana from my originating Turkish flight.
None of that will be necessary for TK to interline a bag. All they need is your OZ flight number and PNR.

TK was willing to interline for me several years ago. Whether that's still the case, I don't know. Might ask on the TK forum.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA, AS, IHG
I just found this thread after wondering why I couldn't find any OZ availability in any cabin during searches in the last week or so.

I see folks talking from this time last year that the calendar didn't extend into 2019 yet. Am I just unlucky and started searching during a period where nothing's available, or did OZ bookings for 2019 and beyond just never become possible?

I've noticed that at least for all of the last week, absolutely no Asiana (OZ) award availability shows on the calendar (except as a second leg on Air Canada or ANA routings). Using expert mode, I don't even see O/I/X classes listed on Asiana flights, but that might be normal?. Does anybody know if this is a temporary problem or a semi-permanent change? Also, does anybody know if these awards can be booked over the phone?

I have only been checking for about a week, but I know there was some talk about OZ awards maybe disappearing 'round these parts last year. Anybody know anything?

Thanks!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 19, 2019 at 1:54 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:50 am

Hi, are we expecting Asiana (OZ) awards to become bookable through United again?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
FWIW I booked an OZ flight using UA miles on Friday. ICN-NRT in economy for September.

Annoying though to have to create an account to manage the res on the OZ website.
Old May 6, 2019, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Looks like Asiana is chopping service to Chicago, effective Oct 27th. I had an award flight booked for December which dropped off my reservation. Investigating found this:

We have officially decided to suspend the routes mentioned below, in order to secure quality flight operations.Chicago ↔ IncheonTue, Wed, Thu, Fri, SunOZ235/236October 27, 2019
https://flyasiana.com/C/US/EN/custom...04240001137724

Not looking forward to finding an alternate solution. The late night TPAC departure out of ORD is difficult to mimic with United flights...
Old May 6, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Looks like Asiana is chopping service to Chicago, effective Oct 27th. I had an award flight booked for December which dropped off my reservation. Investigating found this:
OZ is in serious trouble.

Does BR still fly out of ORD?
artvandalay likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Kacee
OZ is in serious trouble.

Does BR still fly out of ORD?
Yeah, saw the OZ financial news when investigating the flight drop off.

BR still flies out of ORD, and the timing works, but no award availability on my date.
Going to call shortly and see if the 1K desk will open up space on a HKG route. There is availability HKG->BKK on TG, so fingers crossed.
Means leaving work early though.
Old May 6, 2019, 12:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
If you are booking OZ, you should be following the news in the Asiana / OZ forum

no more F availability at all

Share trading halted [Asiana financial troubles]
Old May 6, 2019, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Took a long phone call, but was able to re-route through HKG on United to replace the TPE flight on OZ.
Glad TG had space open on the HKG->BKK route, or else I would have probably needed to look at a PEK/PVG connection. <shudders>

I can work just as effectively from the Polaris Lounge as my office, right?
jsloan and Kacee like this.
Old May 6, 2019, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21
I can work just as effectively from the Polaris Lounge as my office, right?
In theory.
goodeats21 likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 5:29 pm

MileagePlus "first" redemption on Asiana

Looking for some advice: I purchased two "first" United MileagePlus seats on Asiana (LAX-ICN) in November. I just read Asiana is canceling First and replacing it with Business Suites.

Surely United will have to redeposit some of the miles, right? Or offer me another option? Doesn't seem fair to purchase a "first" award seat only to find it's no longer a first experience.

Does anyone have any advice on how and when to approach United about this? Or should I start with Asiana?
Old May 7, 2019, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Contact United once Asiana downgrades the reservation and ask for the F-C difference back. It is pretty much SOP and there is no hurry to get this going unless you want to use the miles for something else.
Other than getting the difference in miles back there is nothing else UA can do since they are no longer offering an F product either. If you find availability on e.g. NH in First then UA will likely waive any change fees, but that's about it.
ebs02 likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ebs02
I just read Asiana is canceling First and replacing it with Business Suites.
Source? I haven't seen anything definitive; just that they're no longer selling tickets.

Surely United will have to redeposit some of the miles, right? Or offer me another option?
If F is removed from your flight, you should be able to get it re-ticketed as a business award. Other options are going to be limited; you'd need to find open award space on a partner that has TPAC F. I can think of two that might offer F; ANA and Air China. UA can (and will) open space on their own flights, but there's not much they can do for a partner flight with no award inventory.

Does anyone have any advice on how and when to approach United about this? Or should I start with Asiana?
Your ticket is with UA, so you'll follow up with them. Unless there's open F space on the route you want today, I'd wait and see what, if anything, happens automatically before I called. Your average UA agent is going to have no idea that OZ is having problems and is just going to insist that you're ticketed in first class as long as that's what their system continues to show.
ebs02 likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
Source? I haven't seen anything definitive; just that they're no longer selling tickets.
Looks pretty definitive to me ... https://flyasiana.com/C/KR/KO/custom...n=&searchText=
Old May 7, 2019, 6:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... Does anyone have any advice on how and when to approach United about this? Or should I start with Asiana?
Your ticket is with UA and it uses UA miles, so your communicates will be with UA. However as alluded to earlier, UA will do nothing until OZ formally downgrades / cancels your reservation. Calling UA and asking based on news reports will not get you anywhere.
ebs02 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.