FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   No nuts for me....due to NRSA allergy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1795582-no-nuts-me-due-nrsa-allergy.html)

CLEContinental Oct 11, 2016 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by erik123 (Post 27333094)
I think you might have insensitivis? It's highly contagious on FT.

Nope. I can be very sensitive to the needs of others. Had this passenger politely said "Excuse me, I really hate to bother you, but I have a sensitivity and allergy to nut products; would it trouble you to refrain from eating them on this flight"?, then there is absolutely no problem.

But the "Special Snowflake Syndrome" that I referred to where someone makes a demand that their issue be immediately accommodated above everyone else's needs - well that gets met by a huge dose of "insensitivis". Seat poaching without asking can be classified in the same bucket.

Bonehead Oct 11, 2016 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by CLEContinental (Post 27333115)
...But the "Special Snowflake Syndrome" that I referred to where someone makes a demand that their issue be immediately accommodated above everyone else's needs - well that gets met by a huge dose of "insensitivis"....

Are you saying that just because someone acts in a way that doesn't meet your expectations of civility that you would do something that could threaten their life? These allergies are real and are not something that you or anyone else should treat so cavalierly.

CLEContinental Oct 11, 2016 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Bonehead (Post 27333357)
Are you saying that just because someone acts in a way that doesn't meet your expectations of civility that you would do something that could threaten their life? These allergies are real and are not something that you or anyone else should treat so cavalierly.

Well to be clear, this NRSA FA potentially endangered her own life with her actions. She knowingly took a job where one of the duties is to regularly come into contact with nuts and/or nut products when they are served to customers on a daily basis (including VERY HIGH potential for residual exposure from past flights). Then she hopped onto a plane without discussing this with anyone in advance, did not carry an epipen, and did not apparently care enough to even think about any of this in advance. She also put her employer at risk with her actions.

Then, she decided that she would make a big stink and impose her problem onto a completely innocent person.

No, I would not endanger her. I'd grit my teeth and bear it like the OP. But I'd also call her out on her blatant stupidity and selfishness to even act in such an idiotic manner.

fastair Oct 11, 2016 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by CLEContinental (Post 27333519)
Well to be clear, this NRSA FA potentially endangered her own life with her actions. She knowingly took a job where one of the duties is to regularly come into contact with nuts and/or nut products when they are served to customers on a daily basis (including VERY HIGH potential for residual exposure from past flights). Then she hopped onto a plane without discussing this with anyone in advance, did not carry an epipen, and did not apparently care enough to even think about any of this in advance. She also put her employer at risk with her actions.

Then, she decided that she would make a big stink and impose her problem onto a completely innocent person.

No, I would not endanger her. I'd grit my teeth and bear it like the OP. But I'd also call her out on her blatant stupidity and selfishness to even act in such an idiotic manner.

I missed the part where the OP stayed she had disclosed that she carried no epipen or other adrenaline injectable. Was it exited out?

bocastephen Oct 11, 2016 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Bonehead (Post 27333357)

The key issue here, is the status of said passenger. If it was a paying passenger, this would be a legitimate argument about eating nuts vs inconveniencing someone nearby, but as we're dealing with a nonrev who should not even be speaking with a customer let alone making demands of them, the nonrev should have excused themselves to another part of the cabin until after the meal service without making a sound to the customer.

Loren Pechtel Oct 11, 2016 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by CLEContinental (Post 27333115)
Nope. I can be very sensitive to the needs of others. Had this passenger politely said "Excuse me, I really hate to bother you, but I have a sensitivity and allergy to nut products; would it trouble you to refrain from eating them on this flight"?, then there is absolutely no problem.

But the "Special Snowflake Syndrome" that I referred to where someone makes a demand that their issue be immediately accommodated above everyone else's needs - well that gets met by a huge dose of "insensitivis". Seat poaching without asking can be classified in the same bucket.

And also I expect the person with the problem make their imposition on others as minimal as practical. Don't ask for special accommodations if you can reasonably avoid doing so.

HoustonConsultant Oct 11, 2016 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 27334038)
The key issue here, is the status of said passenger....but as we're dealing with a nonrev who should not even be speaking with a customer let alone making demands of them...

Man, can't tell if this is sarcastic or real...Poe's Law?

I'm hoping for the sake of FT humanity it is sarcastic.

bocastephen Oct 11, 2016 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant (Post 27334661)
Man, can't tell if this is sarcastic or real...Poe's Law?

I'm hoping for the sake of FT humanity it is sarcastic.

No, it's not sarcastic. Nonrevs are told, by policy, to be invisible. That means not disturbing paying customers, not asking them to change seats or for other favors, they must give up a meal choice or even their entire meal for a paying customer if asked, and they certainly should not be asking a customer to stop eating a portion of their meal due to an allergy.

There is no excuse for what this nonrev did - they should have silently moved away and stayed out of view during the meal service if they had an allergy issue....and I say this as a former nonrev myself....I cannot fathom under what circumstances this behavior was acceptable, and most employees know this. I knew the rules and the result of violating them, and was always extra careful with everything from my attire to any interaction with a paying customer.

To illustrate, I was on a NRT-EWR flight a couple months back where a nonrev was boarded into BF with her two children. They were split up, but at least the nonrev had the sense not to ask other passengers to change seats. Another passenger insisted, without being asked, on trading seats so the nonrev mother could sit near her kids, but the purser went absolutely ballistic in the forward galley thinking the nonrev had requested the change because that would have violated policy.

zombietooth Oct 12, 2016 12:32 am

Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40 (Post 27324524)
Got a weird one.

Not a total complaint, more of an irritant.

PS flight yesterday. Ended up with a new (VERY) FA non-rev next to me. (Think she was express).

Anyway, nuts came, and the FA put hers down first. (I was in window). She jumped like the FA just threw a copperhead on her tray table, and said I'm highly allergic and can't have any near me.

Well, he went to hand ME the nuts nuts, and she said again, "that's too close, none there either". :confused:

Now, we left with open Y space. I was on a PAID bf seat. Am I wrong to feel that she shouldn't inconvenience paying pax over herself? Don't think they serve nuts in Y, and maybe that is better suited to her needs?

Not sure if I should write in. Feel that maybe UA should tell her she can't tell paying pax to "cut the nuts"! Or, ride jump seat? Or y?

First, I agree that you as the paying customer deserved priority over a non-rev.
She could have easily solved the problem by moving to coach.

Second, the "aerosol" threat from nuts has been wildly exaggerated.
See here:

https://www.aaaai.org/ask-the-expert...e-nut-allergen

https://web.archive.org/web/20090407...81213_Nuts.pdf

Most documented cases of an aerosol threat are from cooking and volatilizing the nut oils containing the offending proteins. Studies involving micro-milling and aerosolizing nut powder have shown a very low antagonistic response rate with normal circulating air environments.

747FC Oct 12, 2016 1:05 am

Originally Posted by Artpen100 (Post 27332373)
Sweden is nice, but not worth dying for.

I wonder why I have never seen an animal allergy person confronting a person with a service animal on board.

LOL!

PVDtoDEL Oct 12, 2016 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Artpen100 (Post 27332373)
I wonder why I have never seen an animal allergy person confronting a person with a service animal on board.

I've done that. Some special snowflake decided that it was appropriate to let her dog out of its cage. I was reseated a few rows forward but still spent most of the flight sneezing :(

Silver Fox Oct 12, 2016 8:56 am

Interestingly, as I was laying in bed recovering from my alcohol allergy, on the BBC radio this morning was this story:

'Cleaner world' increases allergy hospital admissions by 33% in five years

charlottegs Oct 12, 2016 9:40 am

This person with the nut allergy was a human FIRST, a passenger SECOND, and a flight attendant THIRD.

If the first two do not motivate you to forgo your own nuts because of the allergy, I got nothin' for ya.

I guess the fact that you saw her ONLY as the 3rd inspired you to run to flyer talk to rat her out.

zombietooth Oct 12, 2016 9:57 am

Originally Posted by charlottegs (Post 27336544)
This person with the nut allergy was a human FIRST, a passenger SECOND, and a flight attendant THIRD.

If the first two do not motivate you to forgo your own nuts because of the allergy, I got nothin' for ya.

I guess the fact that you saw her ONLY as the 3rd inspired you to run to flyer talk to rat her out.

By your logic, handicapped passengers should be allowed to take First Class seats from paid-F passengers because they're "human FIRST". See here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...passenger.html

I guess you would advocate this modification to UA's boarding instructions:

"Please select your seat as you board according to your needs or desires".

"From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs." -Karl Marx

palmetto86 Oct 12, 2016 10:07 am

This is a funny thread. I'd hate to see how you all would react on Southwest. All it takes is one allergy onboard a WN flight for the FAs to not serve peanuts to anyone ON THE ENTIRE PLANE.