FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   No nuts for me....due to NRSA allergy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1795582-no-nuts-me-due-nrsa-allergy.html)

Artpen100 Oct 10, 16 2:38 pm


Originally Posted by Bonehead (Post 27327623)
Yes. People die from these allergies.

If the allergy is that severe, should the passenger exercise more caution and not fly? Even if everyone on the plane abstains, isn't there a significant chance of a peanut ground into the seat, or in the seatback? I think what the UA policy suggests is that, because UA cannot guarantee a peanut-free flight, the passenger is also responsible for making good decisions.

pseudoswede Oct 10, 16 3:11 pm

Sorry. Taking a train and boat to Sweden is not going to cut it.

We are aware of the risks, and we do everything to mitigate it--which includes pre-boarding due to medical needs. We wipe down all hard surfaces in our row, plus search under the seats (and cushions) and in the seat pockets for anything unpleasant.

Miss Swede has done 12 TATLs and numerous domestic segments. Only once have we had to use an Epi-Pen in-flight, and that was very precautionary--to this day we're not sure if it was actually an anaphylatic reaction. Fortunately, that was on approach to DEN, so we landed quickly and were met by paramedics on the jet bridge.

PhillyPhlyer40 Oct 10, 16 3:13 pm

OP here.

A few clarifications.

1-she told me she was a NRSA flight attendant who starts work in a week. She did say she was relocating to ewr from the upper west coast (OR/WA). I assumed express as she was all of 23 years old and new. (Maybe it's a false assumption, I just thought ua hires from regionals. She was young)

2-she got the seat fairly. No one on upgrade list and one open seat at t-10. She was dead last to board.

3-it really wasn't said in a malicious way.

I was more ticked that a NRSA was stopping me from an amenity as a paid j pax. So if she decided that she was allergic to fish, was I not allowed to order the fish dish? I could see where this could lead to a genuinely upset customer. (Had I not still been groggy from sleeping aids and a 15 hour flight just before I might've been that POd guy!)

If I had to do over again, I would've made a comment to her to guide her that long term, it's probably not ok to do that. Maybe it will be in F international and she will make the same requests???

edcho Oct 10, 16 4:42 pm

I'm more curious at how she can actually function as an FA.

She can't...
  • ... touch meals in F?
  • ... touch meals in Y? Esp when they hand out packaged snacks?
  • ... tidy up the cabin during quick turn arounds?
  • ... collect trash?
  • ... walk up and down the aisles after the snacks are given out?

I guess she can help with the drinks and then hide in the back? :confused:

bocastephen Oct 10, 16 6:26 pm


Originally Posted by mauld (Post 27324741)
Wow, am I the only person who thinks the FA was out of line? If I was the poster, I would have said "I'll take the nuts" and remained in my paid sear. If she had a problem, she could change her seat. Sorry, but no sympathy here for her allergies. This seems similar to the religious men who can't/won't sit next to females.

No, I am flabbergasted this thread even exists - the NRSA has absolutely no right to interfere with premium (or even Y) cabin service, and especially deny a paying customer any portion of their meal. This entire scenario is absolutely ludicrous, I don't care what allergy she has.

Obviously she wasn't trained properly, otherwise she should have excused herself to Y during meal service, and the OP should be writing in about this so the new employee can be properly trained, else she should lose her nonrev privileges for a lengthly period of time.

PVDtoDEL Oct 10, 16 7:03 pm


Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40 (Post 27328876)

1-she told me she was a NRSA flight attendant who starts work in a week. She did say she was relocating to ewr from the upper west coast (OR/WA). I assumed express as she was all of 23 years old and new. (Maybe it's a false assumption, I just thought ua hires from regionals. She was young)

Well, that probably explains everything.

If she's never flown First Class before, she probably didn't even realize the nuts were coming until they arrived (on UX, the nuts would come prepackaged). And then once they came, she just reacted naturally (i.e. "get that stuff away from me").

Should she have offered you an apology and explanation after she calmed down? Yeah. But I can understand how the incident happened in the first place.

With the level of entitlement people have about this stuff nowadays, it's possible she didn't even realize she did anything wrong. But I think most people would be embarrassed by such an experience, so I think she'll probably know to let the ISM know beforehand next time...

WineCountryUA Oct 10, 16 9:00 pm


Originally Posted by edcho (Post 27329199)
I'm more curious at how she can actually function as an FA.....

Mainline F "nut service" is not done on UX flights.

fastair Oct 10, 16 9:30 pm


Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL (Post 27329652)
Well, that probably explains everything.

If she's never flown First Class before, she probably didn't even realize the nuts were coming until they arrived (on UX, the nuts would come prepackaged). And then once they came, she just reacted naturally (i.e. "get that stuff away from me").

Should she have offered you an apology and explanation after she calmed down? Yeah. But I can understand how the incident happened in the first place.

With the level of entitlement people have about this stuff nowadays, it's possible she didn't even realize she did anything wrong. But I think most people would be embarrassed by such an experience, so I think she'll probably know to let the ISM know beforehand next time...

Unless, of course, as a NRSA, she gets a seat at the end of boarding, like the OP said she did, at t-10 min, which is door closure time. I've never flown PS, were these nuts served pre-departure? I'm guessing they were post departure, which would make sense to me, but if they're pre-departure, and you are given a seat as the door closes, pre-notification seems a bit difficult.

Loren Pechtel Oct 10, 16 9:44 pm


Originally Posted by ajGoes (Post 27328685)
Recent studies suggest the increase in peanut allergies may be the unintended result of shielding infants from exposure to peanuts. Beginning in the 1970s, well-meaning doctors advised their patients to withhold potential allergens from their infants. This certainly prevented some serious or even fatal reactions, but the cost was to prevent many more children from developing a tolerance to the allergens.

There's also speculation that the rise in allergies is due to our general cleanliness. We've done a good enough job of eliminating real targets for the immune system to go after that it sometimes messes up and goes after false ones.

United747 Oct 10, 16 9:52 pm

I've got a family member who is a pilot for one of the legacies. He has a really severe peanut allergy. Don't know how he handles it, I would assume just ask the copilot to refrain from having any?

Sounds like the FA might have been flying positive space, putting them at the top of the employee upgrade list.

JVPhoto Oct 10, 16 10:03 pm


Originally Posted by pseudoswede (Post 27327884)

We always scan our surroundings. If someone pulls out a food item containing nuts, we politely ask them to refrain for eating it, then we offer to buy something from the BoB or give a snack from our supply. We've been very fortunate not to have any incidents.

Tip of the hat to you! Something like this I feel 99.99% of the time wouldn't cause any hard feelings or someone to come and make a post about not getting to eat nuts on FT.
Though if you were seated next to me on something like EWR-HKG or SIN-SFO I will probably go through 3/4 of a pound of almonds by the time the flight is through.

WineCountryUA Oct 10, 16 10:07 pm


Originally Posted by fastair (Post 27330160)
.... I've never flown PS, were these nuts served pre-departure? I'm guessing they were post departure, which would make sense to me, but if they're pre-departure, and you are given a seat as the door closes, pre-notification seems a bit difficult.

Post-departure as a part of the first beverage service -- roughly 45 minutes after takeoff.

FWAAA Oct 10, 16 10:22 pm


Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40 (Post 27324524)
Or, ride jump seat? Or y?

The flight attendant should have offered to sit on a jumpseat while you enjoyed the mixed nuts. Her behaviour was outrageous. She could have easily moved back to her seat next to the OP once the OP finished the nuts.

I second Major G's comment about physicians and science; the FA's assertion that the OP's mixed nuts were too dangerous to allow is junk science, especially since it doesn't sound like the FA was concerned about the person across the aisle or the passengers immediately in front of or behind the FA.

Additionally, the seats and carpet are cesspools of mixed nut parts and dust, and the if proximity to nut parts and dust were a serious problem for those with allergies, there would be many more cases of anaphylactic shock on UA and AA flights.

When well-meaning individuals sell their junk science with "do as I say or I may die" (I'm paraphrasing here), logic and science are discarded in favor of illogical bombast.

A brand-new flight attendant (she starts work next week) and already elevating her views (junk science that they are) above the customers. Not a favorable trend for the future.

findark Oct 10, 16 10:57 pm


Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 27330068)
Mainline F "nut service" is not done on UX flights.

Unless I'm going completely crazy the UX meal service (if on a meal flight) includes the ramekin of nuts.

(Just to be sure, I checked). But you're right that meals on UX are few and far between.

United747 Oct 10, 16 11:05 pm


Originally Posted by findark (Post 27330474)
Unless I'm going completely crazy the UX meal service (if on a meal flight) includes the ramekin of nuts.

(Just to be sure, I checked). But you're right that meals on UX are few and far between.

The snack mix also had "ranch soy nuts" on all UAX flights after 9:45am.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:16 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.