No nuts for me....due to NRSA allergy

Old Oct 10, 16, 8:29 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Is there something in all of them that can cause you to be allergic to all nuts?
Old Oct 10, 16, 8:59 am
tht

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM
I was on an SQ flight a long time ago, they announced that they had a passenger who was severally allergic to peanuts onboard. They then announced that none would be served and asked all passenger to not open them if they had brought their own on the plane.
Old Oct 10, 16, 9:02 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by JVPhoto View Post
Is there something in all of them that can cause you to be allergic to all nuts?
She probably has a tree nut allergy rather than or in addition to a peanut allergy.

https://www.foodallergy.org/allergens/tree-nut-allergy

That being said, I don't think she was out of line to request he abstain, however, she could have done it in a much more polite way which likely would have garnered a more sympathetic response from the OP.
Old Oct 10, 16, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM 1K; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by JVPhoto View Post
My nephew is allergic to all nuts.
Old Oct 10, 16, 10:31 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Coskigirl View Post
That being said, I don't think she was out of line to request he abstain, however, she could have done it in a much more polite way which likely would have garnered a more sympathetic response from the OP.
I guess I'm a lot more sympathetic; this can truly be a life-or-death thing, and if your back was turned let's say and someone puts it right on your tray in front of you, sure, I can see immediately how panic would set in.

It's great to Monday morning quarterback and say "she should've been a lot more polite" -- but it really is a state of panic when you're confronted with something that absolutely could kill you.

Until you (or I) spend time on a ventilator due to an allergy and luckily survive, I don't think we have any business judging one's reaction to the situation.

Thankfully, I don't have such an allergy but I have several friends and neighbors who do. It affects their life in ways you and I can't imagine. Everything-they-do has to be preplanned, controlled, analyzed and threat-processed. There's never a relaxing moment... even things as simple as a backyard BBQ, or inviting someone's kid over to play video games - could have life-threatening consequences.

Severe allergies are much more serious than most of us give them credit for; having seen a glimpse into what that life is like, I guess I'm a lot more sympathetic than most towards it.
Old Oct 10, 16, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dmurphynj View Post
I guess I'm a lot more sympathetic; this can truly be a life-or-death thing, and if your back was turned let's say and someone puts it right on your tray in front of you, sure, I can see immediately how panic would set in.

It's great to Monday morning quarterback and say "she should've been a lot more polite" -- but it really is a state of panic when you're confronted with something that absolutely could kill you.

Until you (or I) spend time on a ventilator due to an allergy and luckily survive, I don't think we have any business judging one's reaction to the situation.

Thankfully, I don't have such an allergy but I have several friends and neighbors who do. It affects their life in ways you and I can't imagine. Everything-they-do has to be preplanned, controlled, analyzed and threat-processed. There's never a relaxing moment... even things as simple as a backyard BBQ, or inviting someone's kid over to play video games - could have life-threatening consequences.

Severe allergies are much more serious than most of us give them credit for; having seen a glimpse into what that life is like, I guess I'm a lot more sympathetic than most towards it.
I get it, but the question remains as to whether an FA with an allergy so severe would be able to work an airplane cabin. Even if the airline were to ban nuts and passenger could have nuts in their carryon.
Old Oct 10, 16, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 1K since 1998; 3 Million Miler; ex-GS; DL Diamond Medallion since 2015
Originally Posted by tht View Post
I was on an SQ flight a long time ago, they announced that they had a passenger who was severally allergic to peanuts onboard. They then announced that none would be served and asked all passenger to not open them if they had brought their own on the plane.
I had this announcement once on a UA flight. The flight was one or two years ago.
Old Oct 10, 16, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM 1K; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
...Severe allergies are much more serious than most of us give them credit for; having seen a glimpse into what that life is like, I guess I'm a lot more sympathetic than most towards it.
Yes. People die from these allergies.
Old Oct 10, 16, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum
Miss Swede has allergies to peanuts and tree nuts (except almonds) along with dairy, eggs, and sesame. When we board an aircraft, we immediately inform the purser that there is someone on-board with a peanut allergy. UA is usually very accommodating and will make an announcement in the vicinity of our seats. BA and SK are happy to make a full-plane announcement.

We always scan our surroundings. If someone pulls out a food item containing nuts, we politely ask them to refrain for eating it, then we offer to buy something from the BoB or give a snack from our supply. We've been very fortunate not to have any incidents.

The NRSA, in this case, should've informed the purser immediately upon boarding.
Old Oct 10, 16, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by pseudoswede View Post
The NRSA, in this case, should've informed the purser immediately upon boarding.
This. Especially since, as an NRSA, she should know there are going to be nuts served. Something doesn't add up here.
Old Oct 10, 16, 12:46 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, UA GS/1MM, Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by findark View Post
This. Especially since, as an NRSA, she should know there are going to be nuts served. Something doesn't add up here.
Anybody who has flown on UAL more than once certainly knows that nuts are served in BF and First. If the NRSA had gone to the purser and mentioned her nut allergy, the purser would have done the logical thing: -- find her a seat in the back. Clearly she didn't want that to happen. And that's pretty lame.
Old Oct 10, 16, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold

I'm not unsympathetic and in fact have also experienced nut allergies up close and personal when as a teenager I watched my grandmother nearly go into anaphylaxis shock while we were traveling together thousands of miles from home. That doesn't give someone the right to be rude.

I suspect that she did tell the purser but the word did not get to the FA handing them out, hence the shock. However, even after the initial shock of them being sat down in front of and next to her she surely could have turned to the OP and something like "I'm so sorry, I was surprised because I had already spoken with the purser regarding this issue. Do you mind passing on the nuts for this flight?" Or even better, said something to her seatmate before the nuts arrived like "I'm extremely allergic to nuts and I've asked the purser not to serve them to this row. Will this be an issue for you?"
Old Oct 10, 16, 1:38 pm

Strange detail

I'm surprised that someone flying NRSA got front-cabin space on a p.s. flight. To/from both SFO and LAX, I have consistently failed to upgrade on them.
Old Oct 10, 16, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 1K (until 2021), *G for "life", Global Entry, Hertz PC, Cadbury's Rum and Raisin Emeritus
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
I'm surprised that someone flying NRSA got front-cabin space on a p.s. flight. To/from both SFO and LAX, I have consistently failed to upgrade on them.
Now you know why. Have you never seen the non-revs causally schmooze at the counter? I have plenty of times.

But back on topic, I have been on a United flight when they have announced that peanuts will not be served. It's strange that so many people have these allergies these days to nuts. It just didn't seem like anyone died/suffered a reaction to them in my day so is it something that is on the increase and if so, why?

In my opinion the FA definitely overreacted in this case and if it was that bad I would want to take myself well away from the danger.
Old Oct 10, 16, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Silver Fox View Post
It's strange that so many people have these allergies these days to nuts. It just didn't seem like anyone died/suffered a reaction to them in my day so is it something that is on the increase and if so, why?
Recent studies suggest the increase in peanut allergies may be the unintended result of shielding infants from exposure to peanuts. Beginning in the 1970s, well-meaning doctors advised their patients to withhold potential allergens from their infants. This certainly prevented some serious or even fatal reactions, but the cost was to prevent many more children from developing a tolerance to the allergens.

Search this Thread