Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No nuts for me....due to NRSA allergy

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2016, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When was the last time anyone saw a peanut (which isn't even a nut, it's a legume) on a mainline United flight? I haven't in years. And I don't remember seeing peanuts on any UX flights for quite a while either.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Baze
When was the last time anyone saw a peanut (which isn't even a nut, it's a legume) on a mainline United flight? I haven't in years. And I don't remember seeing peanuts on any UX flights for quite a while either.
I have been wondering this since the OP 10 pages ago. Is he saying the FA is allerigic to regualr nuts and cashews? I've never heard of those being "airborne" like the peanut people claim. I also haven't seen a peanut on US flight in years, certainly not in J.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 22, 2016 at 9:37 pm Reason: snarky comment reoved
Old Oct 23, 2016, 4:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by chavala
I have been wondering this since the OP 10 pages ago. Is he saying the FA is allerigic to regualr nuts and cashews? I've never heard of those being "airborne" like the peanut people claim. I also haven't seen a peanut on US flight in years, certainly not in J.
OP implied that the FA was allergic to tree nuts.

However, there is no known aerosol threat from microscopic nut particles, so the FA really had no valid complaint. Two studies were done with micro-milled nut powder (i.e. nut flour) to determine if inadvertent inhalation (i.e. not snorted) of microscopic nut particles would induce an antagonistic reaction in allergic subjects and no risks were found. The only known aerosol threat is from cooked nut products where the nut oils volatilized and were inhaled to induce an allergic reaction

Last edited by zombietooth; Oct 23, 2016 at 1:04 pm
Old Oct 23, 2016, 5:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by zombietooth
OP implied that the FA was allergic to tree nuts.

However, there is no known aerosol threat from microscopic nut particles, so the FA really had no valid complaint. Two studies were done with micro-milled nut powder (i.e. nut flour) to determine if inadvertent respiration of microscopic nut particles would induce an antagonistic reaction in allergic subjects and no risks were found. The only known aerosol threat is from cooked nut products where the nut oils volatilized and were breathed-in to induce an allergic reaction
Exactly right - this whole thread is insane - there is zero scientific basis for the FA's request - it's just one person imposing their supposed superior needs on another....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.