Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What time (and time zone), how many days out does UA release awards for booking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 26, 2019, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA flights will usually be available to book flight 330 or more days in advance. It has on occasion been 333 days or more (336?) but many times the earlier "listing" of flights are not truly bookable.

However, with these early listings, not all inventory is immediately available.
Many times it is just expensive paid fares. There is no set date or noticeable pattern for when discount fares or awards are available. Maybe early, may not.

Partner award availability has even greater uncertainty. Depending on the partner, it may be early or may be much, much later. There are some partner-specific patterns (especially for premium cabin).

Related thread
UA MP Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) -when is it released?
Booking outbound UA award 330 days out when return is more than 330 days

Older thread Strategy/Questions about booking an award travel at the 330-day mark.
Print Wikipost

What time (and time zone), how many days out does UA release awards for booking?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UAFlyer
Yes, I have been able to change award tickets to 337 days out. Sometimes I can do that on-line, sometimes I have to call.
Can the call center do that? I mean, I can definitely do it online, but will the call center be willing to do that?
Old Jun 29, 2014, 8:52 pm

award booking how far in advance?

I have read that award bookings are first available 330 days before travel. I want to book a vacation where I will be away for 2 weeks. Does that mean that I have to book 316 days out or the return date won't be open for award travel? If so, doesn't that reduce the likelihood of getting the outbound flights I want?

Is it true that there is no hope of getting 4 award tickets on the same flight?

Thank you.

BJfly
Old Jun 29, 2014, 8:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
While nothing will be available until 330 or 331 days before travel, there is no guarantee that anything will open up at that time, or that availability will be best at that time. If you're looking at a popular route in Business Class, it's very likely that no inventory will open up for several months. Whether you can find four seats or not will depend on the route and class as well.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 9:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BJfly
I have read that award bookings are first available 330 days before travel. I want to book a vacation where I will be away for 2 weeks. Does that mean that I have to book 316 days out or the return date won't be open for award travel? If so, doesn't that reduce the likelihood of getting the outbound flights I want? ...
A couple of strategies can be used -- some work better for elites who have most award fees waived.
- Book each direction as an OW, downside is in the case of you deciding to cancel the fees are doubled.

- Book an 1 day trip and change return when preferred return date opens up -- may occur a fee for change depending on status.

One warning seats (especially premium cabin) do not always open up at 330 days.
Also seats on partner flights can be available earlier or later.
And UA tends to open up inventory a few days earlier than 330 days (Paid sometimes earlier than award).
If you book that earlier you may not be able to do seat assignments for days or weeks.

.... Is it true that there is no hope of getting 4 award tickets on the same flight? .....
impossible, no
possible, yes
For some routes/cabins challenging, definitely
Old Aug 16, 2014, 10:47 am

Just an update to thank you all for the helpful replies. I ended up booking as two one way awards, each booking made exactly 330 days out.

As a surprising bonus, I Was able to get enough seats to bring along an extra person. So 5 outbound business class most of the way with only 2 business and 3 economy for a short short connection which gets us all the way to destination. And then 5 economy seats on the return (again, a connection). All saver awards.

Not the nonstop flights I would have chosen if there were more options, but all in all worked out much better than I anticipated and was hassle free to book, which also suprised me. All on star alliance code shares - UAL metal didn't offer saver redemption.

I'll check periodically to see if any business seats open up on the short outbound connection and if so, I'll post again regarding my success (or lack of) in getting those to replace the economy.

Thank you flyer forums.

BJfly

Last edited by BJfly; Sep 15, 2014 at 9:30 pm
Old Aug 16, 2014, 10:49 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Just an update to thank you all for the helpful replies. I ended up booking as two one way awards, each booking made exactly 330 days out. ...
Congrats on the success and thanks for reporting back.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 6:22 pm

Another good update: nonstop savers opened up for all 5 tickets on the return. I had to call, but they switched us no problem. No charge due to gold status.

BJfly
Old Jun 18, 2015, 11:25 am

Programs: UA 1K; Hilton Honors Diamond; SPG Platinum
looking at SFO-BKK routes for next May, both award and paid.

i've noticed exactly 330/331 days out, only codeshare on ANA (thru NRT) seems to be available (both award and paid). but i also know UA does a nonstop every day from SFO-NRT.

looking back a few days prior though i'm now seeing the UA-metal flights.

is this a common/known thing?
Old Jun 18, 2015, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
334 days for UA, 337 for partner...

Booked a United/LH J award today 334 days out. Some partner economy awards were up 3 days ago (this is on the beta site, not that it should matter...like the saved searches).

I now routinely set my alert to start checking about 331+7 days. Did exactly the same thing (and lead time) a couple of weeks ago for the outbound.

Only idiosyncrasy is that seat assignments for the UA segments won't take on the day of booking, but usually work the next day or two. Ironically, the LH seat assignments worked immediately after booking.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Indeed, and then seat selection at 330 days out.
@:-) Ah, that's why that was happening. Res agent couldn't assign them either.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Hilton Honors Diamond; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
@:-) Ah, that's why that was happening. Res agent couldn't assign them either.
yeah, that i always notice with seat assignments (i try to book SFO-HNL that far out).

i'll give it a few more days for BKK!
Old Oct 5, 2016, 10:41 pm

What time (and time zone) do United Awards Release to Book Online

Is it 12:01 CST?

Also, can you still pay business saver price to wait list if none are available, and confirm in economy? Do you have to call? Do they charge fee?
Old Oct 5, 2016, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by Slickdilla
What time (and time zone) do United Awards Release to Book OnlineIs it 12:01 CST? ...
Generally appears be 3-6AM Eastern. but it is not a fix time.
... Also, can you still pay business saver price to wait list if none are available, and confirm in economy? Do you have to call? Do they charge fee?
Yes you can waitlist and if booked at the higher award level, there will be no fee if successful. This can only be done by a phone agent, See wiki of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ns-issues.html for more.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 12:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Is it 12:01 CST?
UA doesn't really work that way. There's not a schedule of award releases.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 3:58 am

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by Kacee
UA doesn't really work that way. There's not a schedule of award releases.
Oh, there may be a schedule, but to the passenger it is completely opaque and there is no consistency or predictability, meaning there is no fixed time when seats are always released. So you can't sit by the computer at 12:01 and snag a seat the moment it becomes available. However, if you're flying OMA-ORD the second week of December there is plenty of saver availability, no wait listing required!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.