Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Advice Needed: Use my points/miles or Wife's?

Old Oct 5, 16, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA - Silver and dropping...

We're booking our honeymoon trip for next year to Italy from NYC. I don't quite have enough miles in my account to book the flights so I would need to add about 45k on a Chase Rewards transfer. My wife however has JUST enough miles to book the trip right now. The only difference is that I've got Silver status on United from Marriott Platinum.

So, should I use up Chase Rewards and book under Silver status or just use my wife's (no status) to book? Are the benefits to using a Silver account worth the transfer?

Thanks in advance guys.
Old Oct 5, 16, 8:53 am

Programs: United Premier Silver (Former Premier 1K), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Silver, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by HeIsAudiHereUnlessHesFlying View Post
We're booking our honeymoon trip for next year to Italy from NYC. I don't quite have enough miles in my account to book the flights so I would need to add about 45k on a Chase Rewards transfer. My wife however has JUST enough miles to book the trip right now. The only difference is that I've got Silver status on United from Marriott Platinum.

So, should I use up Chase Rewards and book under Silver status or just use my wife's (no status) to book? Are the benefits to using a Silver account worth the transfer?

Thanks in advance guys.
Each passenger keeps its status, so you would still be a Silver, even though the trip was booked with a GM miles. I'd say, go ahead and book the trip on your wife's account.
Old Oct 5, 16, 9:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
+1 with joseeantonior, and I would add your good as long as you book together (as to be on the same reservation).
Old Oct 5, 16, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Two considerations:

1. Sometimes "XN" is greater than "X" for booking award tickets. Hence, a Silver will see more inventory than a GM.

2. The new fees as of today do favor a Silver slightly for changes.

However, if you're booking BF, most likely any changes made are well worth the fees.
Old Oct 5, 16, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the help everyone. We're booking today to get the extra layover (allowed until United changes it tomorrow) and we'll go ahead and use her account. Really appreciate the input.

@aacharya - didn't think about the change fee for silver and it is something worth noting. Thanks for that!
Old Oct 5, 16, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Also consider using the miles you have to purchase two one way tickets for each of you under one account. Purchase the return later.
Old Oct 5, 16, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Well I remember vividly why we try to avoid United these days. I went through the process to book our NYC-VCE CAT-NYC flight. A few minutes ago these were 45k R/T. I guess I searched too much because they are now 60k R/T. We will be definitely using my wife's account. Cannot wait to be done and done with United. Anyone know why this big difference in the span of 10 minutes for a flight that is 8 months out? Maybe our search held up inventory and we just have to wait a few minutes for it to go through?
Old Oct 5, 16, 10:14 am

Well I remember vividly why we try to avoid United these days. I went through the process to book our NYC-VCE CAT-NYC flight. A few minutes ago these were 45k R/T. I guess I searched too much because they are now 60k R/T. We will be definitely using my wife's account. Cannot wait to be done and done with United. Anyone know why this big difference in the span of 10 minutes for a flight that is 8 months out? Maybe our search held up inventory and we just have to wait a few minutes for it to go through?
Is the second flight CTA-NYC? Others here are better with award routings than I, but it should be 60k for US - Europe r/t saver economy. So I'm not sure a 45k pricing would have been correct.

edit: perhaps you were inadvertently pricing US - Europe - Europe awards?
Old Oct 5, 16, 10:43 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Well I remember vividly why we try to avoid United these days. I went through the process to book our NYC-VCE CAT-NYC flight. A few minutes ago these were 45k R/T. I guess I searched too much because they are now 60k R/T. We will be definitely using my wife's account. Cannot wait to be done and done with United.
While I sympathize with your frustration, what you appear to be suggesting -- that UA raises the prices of awards for specific customers when it notices them searching for those destinations -- is simply false.

Did you perhaps mean CTA rather than CAT? As observed above, TATL flights in Y are 60K miles round-trip, not 45K. Getting the airport code wrong could certainly confuse the booking engine w/r/t the appropriate fare!
Old Oct 5, 16, 12:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
Call in - UA.com doesn't work well with ticketing/pricing multi-city award itineraries. For now at least, UA doesn't have dynamic inventory a la DL. They can only shift things between saver and standard and I've never experienced it shifting dynamically based on searches only based on other people buying those flights.

That being said as noted above a RT for US - Europe in Saver Y is 60k on UA (or 30k each direction). You can however add a stopover or another open jaw if you call in and book today before the rules changes tomorrow.
Old Oct 5, 16, 12:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS 75K; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Well I remember vividly why we try to avoid United these days. I went through the process to book our NYC-VCE CAT-NYC flight. A few minutes ago these were 45k R/T. I guess I searched too much because they are now 60k R/T.
Sorry but that is a 60K RT award. Every day of the week, 365 days per year.
Old Oct 5, 16, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

You guys are totally right. My wife had added the stop-over to the of the itinerary, which when booking, halves the cost of the flight - so the appearance of a 15k flight. She didn't notice this and neither did I when switching between tabs. Sorry guys.

Either way, flight now booked - 60k R/T with a free NYC to SFO flight O/W for Labor Day and an open jaw in Europe. NYC-VCE MAD-NYC-SFO
Old Oct 5, 16, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I'm "happy" for the OP, but...based on his notes and assumptions, I can see why UA went draconian on us now. All those folks out there who don't even use FT calling UA for their free one-ways.....

Search this Thread
Search Engine: