Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What's the success rate on LH with GPU's? D -> F

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2016, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1MM

Just curious as I am trying this for the first time on a trip to the middle east.

FYI, I am T-30 and the LH flight still shows F7..... and still not cleared. And the return 3 days later is F8.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 2:12 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Discoverist
You need O inventory to open which I believe LH does not open until 14 days out...
Old Oct 4, 2016, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by avi8tir
Just curious as I am trying this for the first time on a trip to the middle east.

FYI, I am T-30 and the LH flight still shows F7..... and still not cleared. And the return 3 days later is F8.
T-30 days or hours? With *G (from UA GS) and F7 and F8 I'd say very high likelihood of clearing, just have to wait.

Originally Posted by revigik
You need O inventory to open which I believe LH does not open until 14 days out...
Yes/no. O inventory is a good indication, but the LH GPUs clear into a "different" O (i.e. I've cleared even when O wasn't available to *A award bookings).

In one of the threads in the LH board, somebody had posted the general schedule of when LH RM sweeps to release upgrades/awards. I believe under 30 days but more than 2 weeks out, it runs weekly (i.e. twice) and then within two weeks it runs daily, and then within 24 hours it runs hourly. Kee
Old Oct 4, 2016, 2:39 pm

Programs: ua 1k/*g, ge, hh g, spg/mr plat
Originally Posted by avi8tir

If you are referring to a flight 30 hours out, it shouldn't be a problem - I did a last minute FRA-SIN return last month with F5 and F4 each way. The outbound cleared about 2 hours after purchase at T-12 (but before check in - I waited since I have heard they won't process after that, but not sure if true) and the return cleared about 24-26 hours prior to departure. I did not receive any email from United stating I was upgraded, but my reservation on LH showed the upgrade, I would just continue to check their site. However, LH cancels and returns any GPU's at 10 hours prior to departure if they have not cleared.

If you are referring to a flight a month from now, you will just have to wait as mentioned above.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by califcoast
If you are referring to a flight 30 hours out, it shouldn't be a problem - I did a last minute FRA-SIN return last month with F5 and F4 each way. The outbound cleared about 2 hours after purchase at T-12 (but before check in - I waited since I have heard they won't process after that, but not sure if true) and the return cleared about 24-26 hours prior to departure. I did not receive any email from United stating I was upgraded, but my reservation on LH showed the upgrade, I would just continue to check their site. However, LH cancels and returns any GPU's at 10 hours prior to departure if they have not cleared.

If you are referring to a flight a month from now, you will just have to wait as mentioned above.
Bolding mine - not true anymore. LH fixed the system limitation that prevented LH GPU upgrade waitlist requests from dropping at T-10 hours. They now carry forward all the way to departure. There's confirmed reports of this in the LH GPU thread.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 10:22 am

Programs: ua 1k/*g, ge, hh g, spg/mr plat
Originally Posted by jmanirish
Bolding mine - not true anymore. LH fixed the system limitation that prevented LH GPU upgrade waitlist requests from dropping at T-10 hours. They now carry forward all the way to departure. There's confirmed reports of this in the LH GPU thread.
AWESOME!!! Didn't recall seeing those when I was checking for my trip and I thought I read a lot of the thread...though clearly I didn't since they are just a few pages back . Thanks!
Old Oct 5, 2016, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I have not missed a GPU upgrade on LH. Very high clearance percentage.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Sorry, meant T-30 days, not hours!

Thanks all.... I intentionally bought a D fare for this so, it better work!
Old Oct 5, 2016, 11:00 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
That is fantastic news! It makes me more willing to try for this type of upgrade on Lufthansa.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 11:55 am

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
LH fixed the system limitation that prevented LH GPU upgrade waitlist requests from dropping at T-10 hours. They now carry forward all the way to departure. There's confirmed reports of this in the LH GPU thread.
That is truly outstanding news.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
LH has often got D sale yyz-jnb for $3k cnd. D is just on the fra-jnb not the yyz-fra.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.