Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Weather waiver issued - Hurricane Matthew (Southeast U.S.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weather waiver issued - Hurricane Matthew (Southeast U.S.)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2016, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, B6 Mosaic
All UA flights tonight (Wed), and tomorrow IAH - PBI/FLL/MIA have been cancelled.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Not surprising. Better safe than sorry.
As a meteorologist, I can tell you that Hurricane Matthew is a monster storm.UA made a right call.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Kmxu
Not surprising. Better safe than sorry.
As a meteorologist, I can tell you that Hurricane Matthew is a monster storm.UA made a right call.
What do you make of the increasing number of models that show Matthew looping back clockwise and hitting FL/The Bahamas again?
Old Oct 5, 2016, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I wondwe how the weather will impact further up in the East Coast (DC and NYC metro area).

I do have flights scheduled for this weekend.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by Bonehead
What do you make of the increasing number of models that show Matthew looping back clockwise and hitting FL/The Bahamas again?
That would just be comical. Except not, of course. I'm holed up in a hotel down here in Miami, and the stores have all pretty much been plundered and pillaged. I personally do not have supplies for a second hit (one can only carry so much wine and bourbon), and I doubt there'd be much opportunity to restock in between storm visits. Let's hope those models just have a twisted sense of humor - and not Mother Nature herself...
Old Oct 5, 2016, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by FLLUAFlyer
All UA flights tonight (Wed), and tomorrow IAH - PBI/FLL/MIA have been cancelled.
IAH-MCO flights after the 2:04 pm arrival canceled now. EWR-MCO flights after the 2:20 pm arrival canceled. ORD-MCO after the 12:55 pm arrival canceled. DEN-MCO flights after the 2:02 pm arrival canceled.

If COSPILOT is originating in COS he needs to get out before 7 am...
Old Oct 5, 2016, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
IAH-MCO flights after the 2:04 pm arrival canceled now. EWR-MCO flights after the 2:20 pm arrival canceled. ORD-MCO after the 12:55 pm arrival canceled. DEN-MCO flights after the 2:02 pm arrival canceled.

If COSPILOT is originating in COS he needs to get out before 7 am...
We were driving up to Denver, but as you already see, our flight canceled. Trying to find four seats to MCO was a pain, currently booked via IAH on Sunday. Separate ticket for return next Thursday for six of us, but United said they will change it if we decide to push it back.

I did complicate things by applying GPU's to our DEN-MCO, which split the reservation into four. I should have known better, but oh well.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
FLL airport just announced it will be closed starting tomorrow

Hurricane Update. FLL will remain open until 10:30 a.m. on Thursday, October 6th. Airlines will suspend flights no later than 10:30 a.m. on October 6th. Check with your airline about the status of your flight's arrival or departure. Some airlines have already suspended flights. For North Perry Airport, air service will be suspended as of 8 a.m. on Thursday, October 6th.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 8:03 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Add to that the evening SFO/LAX flights... so there will be no departures from MCO after the ~3p to DEN. Had some friends that were supposed to be flying in for the weekend and we moved their flights up once, then again to first thing tomorrow.

Hoping UA doesn't decide to pull the plug and cancel everything tomorrow (don't see any reason they can't operate the AM schedule)...

Stay safe everyone!
Old Oct 5, 2016, 8:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Very glad I changed my flight to today from tomorrow. I actually did it a few hours before the waiver. So paid $200. I called after waiver was issued and they said they would refund. We'll see. Glad I didn't wait as I was still able to snag first which was sold out by the time the waiver was issued.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I wondwe how the weather will impact further up in the East Coast (DC and NYC metro area).

I do have flights scheduled for this weekend.
Count me for this too. Wondering if I'll be flying into a hurricane (or remnants) hitting IAD on Sunday..
Old Oct 6, 2016, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AtlLhr
Keep us posted and good luck! We weathered Hurricane Jeanne in Disney in 2004(no flights,we drove) and they were great. We had to stay an extra day and the parks were closed but they had lots of stuff to do at the resort and they had characters around and movies for free all day.
One of my greatest vacations as a kid was when I took a road trip with my dad up the East coast in the wake of Hurricane / Tropical Storm Agnes in June, 1972. The day we went to Six Flags Over Georgia was awesome. There was a chilly drizzle, but the park was open and nearly empty. There were zero lines anywhere. The roller coaster operators just let the same people stay onboard for ride after ride if they wanted.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 6:35 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Why would you cancel the morning flights. What happened to the aircraft that came in Wednesday night. The aircraft would have to be then ferried out as you will have no aircraft on the ground at these airports during the storm.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kale73
One of my greatest vacations as a kid was when I took a road trip with my dad up the East coast in the wake of Hurricane / Tropical Storm Agnes in June, 1972. The day we went to Six Flags Over Georgia was awesome. There was a chilly drizzle, but the park was open and nearly empty. There were zero lines anywhere. The roller coaster operators just let the same people stay onboard for ride after ride if they wanted.
Yes, isn't it great when you can just pack up and go home when your vacation is over.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MCO airport closings:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/weath...ngs-story.html

Domestic Sanford flights closed at 10 a.m. today through Friday

International Sanford flights close at 6:30 p.m. through Friday.

All SunRail service is suspended.

Commercial service at Orlando International Airport will cease at 8:00 p.m. Some cancellations have already been noted with 110 arrivals and 75 departures. They will reassess the damages Saturday morning. Pending that, they will open or close.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.