Wiki Posts
Search

Question for MRY based members

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2016, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-GS 3MM, AA-gold, Amtrak Select +, Bonvoy Titanium, Honors gold
Question for MRY based members

HI all and thanks in advance for the advice!
Thinking of spending a few days in Carmel next August, 2017..would drive down from SFO, but options for return would either be driving on a weekday back to SFO for a 10am flight to the east coast, or take the 6am UAX to LAX and connect on east...Weighing options of WX delays vs the drive in rush hour back to SFO...any and all thoughts are appreciated..What would you do?
Old Oct 3, 2016, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by drgreg
Thinking of spending a few days in Carmel next August, 2017..would drive down from SFO, but options for return would either be driving on a weekday back to SFO for a 10am flight to the east coast, or take the 6am UAX to LAX and connect on east...Weighing options of WX delays vs the drive in rush hour back to SFO...any and all thoughts are appreciated..What would you do?
Traffic that time of the morning can be bad, and rental car return (and even pickup with status) at SFO can be a horrible mess. My last rental return, a few weeks ago, took 30 minutes from the time I entered the garage! But it is never quick. For my next flight, this week, I decided to risk the delays/cancs and fly East Coast-SFO-MRY inbound and MRY-LAX-East Coast for the return.

So, my advice is to return through LAX.

Last edited by zombietooth; Oct 3, 2016 at 2:15 pm
Old Oct 3, 2016, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA GS
In either scenario, you will start your travel day early (6 am flight from MRY, or a 6 am drive from MRY to SFO fighting commute traffic about 60% of the time).

An alternative would be to drive up to SFO the night before and taking the 10 am flight (I'm assuming this is a non stop). Even if you left MRY and drive to SFO late evening, you still will have plenty of time to sleep/rest and catch your flight.

The big advantage is having more options. In the Summer, there is fog/marine layer, which could delay your MRY flight. At least if you are at SFO and there are delays, you have a lot more choices (wait for your flight, transfer to a connection, go into another city).

Last edited by PBAudit; Oct 3, 2016 at 3:05 pm
Old Oct 3, 2016, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the car return info...quite helpful!

Many thanks. Hoping to stay in MRY 2 nts as that is all I can allocate to my schedule. Figured if I would drive it's a 5:30am departure....:I appreciate the advice and will consider it!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 8, 2016 at 5:25 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 3, 2016, 5:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
options for return would either be driving on a weekday back to SFO for a 10am flight
That's not a realistic option. You'd have to leave the night before. Taking 101 or 17, you're looking at an absolutely horrific drive hitting both SJ and SF commute traffic.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 7:18 pm

I'd go with the early morning MRY departure. Departures are far more likely to get out despite fog than are arrivals to arrive. And the 6am departure arrives the previous night, so you don't care how late it is.

As others have stated, the weekday morning rush on Hwy 1 and 17 is catastrophic; in the worst case, you can spend almost one hour on the 12 mile stretch from Watsonville to the fishhook in Santa Cruz, for example (I drive that almost every day), and that's just a small fraction of your proposed drive. Unless you can allow 6 hours for the drive and car checkin, your odds of missing your SFO departure, although modest, still probably well exceed the odds of the 6am MRY departure canceling due to fog.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Flying to East Coast I would go through LAX. If I were going further I would overnight before in SFO.

The nice thing about the morning flight is you'll know the night before if the flight doesn't make it in because of fog/Marine layer. If the plane gets there it shouldn't have an issue getting out.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 9:48 pm

Excellent advice on this thread. There's nothing easy or pleasant about getting from Carmel to SFO for a 10 am departure. You would be miserable and stressed the entire way.

There's a chance your MRY departure may get cancelled (it happens) but I'll take that over 2.5 hours in traffic + dealing with SFO, any day....

Enjoy the Central Coast... my home too.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by spongenotbob
Excellent advice on this thread. There's nothing easy or pleasant about getting from Carmel to SFO for a 10 am departure. You would be miserable and stressed the entire way.

There's a chance your MRY departure may get cancelled (it happens) but I'll take that over 2.5 hours in traffic + dealing with SFO, any day....

Enjoy the Central Coast... my home too.
I haven't had any mishaps lately and in fact I've had a friends come up a few times on LAX-MRY.
I just don't like the gamble on ex-MRY if it's going to be a TATL/TPAC flight.
In fact I'll never do MRY-SFO-XXX. I'll do MRY-LAX-XXX if it's the earlier flights.
Coming home I'm more inclined to gamble with XXX-SFO-MRY in the event there's an issue with MRY I can just get a car and drive myself back down. The frequency change when it went to the CRJ from the EMB has also made it hard to even have a decent option to connect as a lot of times it is a 4.5-6h lay over at SFO.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 10:41 pm

I notice no one has commented on the ridiculously relaxed vibe of the MRY airport, which should be another factor in your decision. It is possibly the most pleasant and unwound station on all of UA. The TSA guy also cooks the hot dogs at the snack bar. Well, not really, but it almost could be that way. Compare this to the SFO zoo. They're in different universes. It's a huge pleasure to start a trip as relaxed as you will be with a MRY departure.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by Starman
I notice no one has commented on the ridiculously relaxed vibe of the MRY airport, which should be another factor in your decision. It is possibly the most pleasant and unwound station on all of UA. The TSA guy also cooks the hot dogs at the snack bar. Well, not really, but it almost could be that way. Compare this to the SFO zoo. They're in different universes. It's a huge pleasure to start a trip as relaxed as you will be with a MRY departure.
Unless you're flying on Allegiant to Vegas you can show up 5 min before bag cut off time. You're pretty much in line with only your flight. You can see the gate through the glass wall and if you need can bang on it and tell them to wait (jk). In fact the check in agent is usually the one boarding the flight.
TSA PreCheck lite which is still fine.

Funny about the TSA, they're super nice but what Starman mentioned is more closely related to what it was like flying out of TEX. You'd check in, sit in the waiting area and the the 3 agents came out of the office upstairs or pulled up in a car 10 min before the inbound Great Lakes Beechcraft was due to arrive.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 11:42 pm

UA starts mostly daily service SJC-EWR (and EWR-SJC) in March '17. Or you can always one-stop it via SJC-DEN-East Coast. Around an hour plus drive from Carmel in the morning...
Old Oct 4, 2016, 4:10 am
Original Poster

Excellent point. Think my decision is becoming a no brainer!
Old Oct 4, 2016, 5:30 am

The TSA guy also cooks the hot dogs at the snack bar.
Can't make this up.
Leaving Hua Hin HHQ right now and the woman who has the "Piratey Bar" snack shop also runs the X-ray machine...
Old Oct 4, 2016, 5:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Can't make this up.
Leaving Hua Hin HHQ right now and the woman who has the "Piratey Bar" snack shop also runs the X-ray machine...
I didn't think there were any commercial flights there. Flying private?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.