Wiki Posts
Search

Downgraded from EP/bulkhead to back

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2016, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Downgraded from EP/bulkhead to back

Writing this from UA1851. Had seat 7F, at bulkhead. After boarding discovered that my seat was given to another pax which was accompanying disabled person - actually everyone at row 7 was moved.

I instead was given 27F and when asked why I was given non-EP seat (I have Gold status), I was told by FA 'take the seat and don't give me trouble if you don't want to get into trouble'.

Could you tell me how properly communicate this situation to UA in writing and is there anything I can get from this?

Thank you.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 1:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If there were no other E+ seats available then there's not really much to do. If there was E+ available and you weren't allowed to move there then that's worth complaining about.

But accommodating pax with mobility issues will trump your comfort every time and there's nothing you get for that.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 1:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by invisible
Writing this from UA1851. Had seat 7F, at bulkhead. After boarding discovered that my seat was given to another pax which was accompanying disabled person - actually everyone at row 7 was moved.

I instead was given 27F and when asked why I was given non-EP seat (I have Gold status), I was told by FA 'take the seat and don't give me trouble if you don't want to get into trouble'.

Could you tell me how properly communicate this situation to UA in writing and is there anything I can get from this?

Thank you.
Things like this just happen - unfortunately you weren't treated well by the GA - but what likely happened is that a disabled passenger showed up for the flight unknown to UA/GA - and instead of handling it with class and dignity and telling you the truth you were told to shut up and take it...

A simple note to UA describing the facts and how you were treated is all you can do - and perhaps you'll get lucky and get some compensation....
Old Oct 2, 2016, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Row 7 gets bumped all the time for the disabled and their companions.

Your new seat assignment could be for W&B. Or a lousy GA who didn't care about your status. Certainly a lousy FA delivering the message.

You can complain to customer service. You might get a few miles. I wouldn't bother.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat

Thank you.
I was sympathetic for you right up to the 'is there anything I can get from this' part. To be honest, part of the "deal" when booking bulkhead seats is that disabled passengers take priority. The fact that it happened at the last minute is unfortunate, but not unusual nor out of line.

But the asking "what can I get" part drives me absolutely nuts. This "they owe me something" culture permeates FT and is a pet peeve of mine. I apologize if it sounds personal -- it isn't -- but the FT culture needs to change. Big time.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dmurphynj
But the asking "what can I get" part drives me absolutely nuts. This "they owe me something" culture permeates FT and is a pet peeve of mine. I apologize if it sounds personal -- it isn't -- but the FT culture needs to change. Big time.
I'm sympathetic to the mindset "they took away something good from me and gave me something worse because of someone else's lack of planning", but for what they might compensate you I wouldn't bother writing in.

If they'd give you a credit of the E+ fee for the seat you lost there'd be a lot more writing in. I don't think they should be required to, but they have the option to.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 2:27 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
What is the E+ upcharge for a 3 hour flight like this? I think an ETC credit in that amount is due. There is no "part of the deal" that you're subject to lose bulkhead seats to disabled passengers without recompense.

Not a short flight and a significant downgrade in a seat to which he was entitled by virtue of his status.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
There is no "part of the deal" that you're subject to lose bulkhead seats to disabled passengers without recompense.
Other than where it literally says that in COC rule 4 (D)? OP gets a refund of what he paid for E+, which is zero.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 2:38 pm

How is this someone elses lack of planning? Aren't bulkhead seats allocated to disabled pax/companions at check in?

Can a non-status pax with such an entitlement prebook them?
Old Oct 2, 2016, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
There is no "part of the deal" that you're subject to lose bulkhead seats to disabled passengers without recompense.
That's exactly what the rules are.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I'm a bit surprised bymany responses here. If the flight attendants said this, and if the original poster didn't leave out any relevant information (like if he rose his voice, etc), I would expect something as well.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
You were probably given an E- seat because there were no E+ seats left. I believe you're due your E+ fee back which, given your status, is probably $0.

If the GA/FA used those exact words, that's pretty unprofessional. If you're looking to get something out of this (and it sounds like you are), focus on that part.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 3:21 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by mduell
OP gets a refund of what he paid for E+, which is zero.
Probably, but we don't know that for sure. We know the OP is *G, but not necessarily United Gold (his profile doesn't mention United).
Old Oct 2, 2016, 3:25 pm
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
Wait a second, am I the only one that thinks the FA's response to this passenger was totally and completely unprofessional and in no way acceptable?

Being moved from bulkhead for a disabled pax is no issue at all. The FA's response on the other hand....

Last edited by In The 216; Oct 2, 2016 at 3:38 pm Reason: FA, not GA
Old Oct 2, 2016, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you.
Ok, people keep hinting at it but how about some answers to direct questions.

1. Are you United Premier Gold or Star Alliance Gold with another airline?
2. If the latter, did you pay an E+ fee for the E+ seat?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.